• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Questions

Autoace

New to Airwarriors.....

Here are my current goals (hopefully my research serves me right).....

I would like to get into BDCP to assist me with my final year of Bachelors work at CSU to complete my BS in Health Science; Healthcare Management Option. After this I would like to attend ODS (formally OIS), get my Ensign commission, and then work on my Masters in Healthcare Admin while I am in. Long-term....I want to be HCA.

I am speaking to a recruiter through email, and he is saying BDCP would not be good for me because it doesn't guarantee HCA in the long run. He says I should sign up for a program for them to help me get my Masters first, and then get my commission. But.....

1) My father (a current Captain who is HCA, MSC, USN) recommended I get BDCP for my Bachelors.

2) This reduces the amount of time I could be in (in the case I end up 'careering' it).

3) Does this just benefit the recruiter.

Hopefully some people on here have BDCP and ODS experience, although I see OCS people on here more......anyone's take or prior experience with this situation please advise ASAP!!!

:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless something has changed, BDCP was not an option for MSC/HCA. I'd get confirmation on that before you go further. Also, very very tough these days to get HCA without a Masters going into it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Unless something has changed, BDCP was not an option for MSC/HCA. I'd get confirmation on that before you go further. Also, very very tough these days to get HCA without a Masters going into it.
When I went through BDCP, the Medical program had their own program. It involved much better benefits, but I think it only goes for medical doctors and nurses. BDCP does not send anyone to ODS, just OCS. The way the medical program worked was you already had your bachelor's and an acceptance letter to a medical school. Then you apply, get accepted, they pay you a stipend, pay for school, books and a laptop. You also have to do residency in military hospitals. When you complete all your training, you then go to ODS as a LTJG or LT.

Just think of it. Do you think the Navy would pay you and pay for school for 4 years without any prior service (or any experience)? I doubt it, but there are medical recruiters. Call and ask one.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just think of it. Do you think the Navy would pay you and pay for school for 4 years without any prior service (or any experience)? I doubt it, but there are medical recruiters. Call and ask one.
You are right about your first paragraph. Those programs have been around for decades.

I don't get this paragraph though. The OP was interested in completing his final year of a BA and getting a commission, then working on a Masters. I don't see where this paragraph applies. Moreover, the Navy does pay for four years of school without prior service, How about the USNA, NROTC, and on the medical front there are a couple of programs that do that. Then of course, BDCP will cover three years of school in some cases, and pay you a salary. Where are you going with the above comment?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You are right about your first paragraph. Those programs have been around for decades.

I don't get this paragraph though. The OP was interested in completing his final year of a BA and getting a commission, then working on a Masters. I don't see where this paragraph applies. Moreover, the Navy does pay for four years of school without prior service, How about the USNA, NROTC, and on the medical front there are a couple of programs that do that. Then of course, BDCP will cover three years of school in some cases, and pay you a salary. Where are you going with the above comment?
I didn't read close enough. I thought he had a much longer time to go in college. Also, I was under the impression that HCA type would be someone with not only the training but many years of practical experience. I stand corrected.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't read close enough. I thought he had a much longer time to go in college. Also, I was under the impression that HCA type would be someone with not only the training but many years of practical experience. I stand corrected.
No worries. For anyone else lurking about, HCA is Health Care Administrator. They are direct commission designators that manage the Navy health care system. They can manage the business side of clinics, manage hospitals, and do all sorts of business related stuff in the heath care field. You must have a business related degree, and a Masters is required to be competitive. These are great jobs if you are into business management and they set you up for one of the largest growing fields in the civ sector as well. Problem is they Navy only takes a few of these people a year. Tough to get.

Autoace

Problem is they Navy only takes a few of these people a year. Tough to get.

Missed this during my last reply. This is probably why the recruiter told me BDCP may not be the best option for me, because it does not guarantee HCA on the long-term.

Does anyone know if you need a Masters to attend ODS? I ask this because perhaps the prerequisites have changed in recent years.

Also, just to confirm...all Healthcare Admin jobs are 'staff officer' positions, and all staff officers attend ODS, while all 'front-line officers' attend OCS. Is that correct???

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know if you need a Masters to attend ODS? I ask this because perhaps the prerequisites have changed in recent years.

Also, just to confirm...all Healthcare Admin jobs are 'staff officer' positions, and all staff officers attend ODS, while all 'front-line officers' attend OCS. Is that correct???
A Masters is not required to attend OIS (sorry , old guy, what does ODS stand for anyway). The degree required is based on the program one applies for, not attendance at ODS. Most all MSC jobs require a Masters and/or some kind of professional license. Direct Commission reserve Intel and Supply officers got to ODS and yet many of them only have a BA/BS.

ODS is attended by direct commission officers. They are active and reserve types of the Restricted Line and Staff Corps.

Here is an option for you. If you are into business management take a look at Supply Corps. You can get BDCP for Supply. After you have completed your first set of orders as a Supply guy put in for a change of designator to HCA. The business management,supply chain, and contract management aspects of the two are very similar. I think that might work for you. Get the money for school, experience the fleet and then switch to HCA. Don't bother your recruiter too much about this. He can't guarantee your switch to HCA later. But he will work with you on Supply. The rest is up to you.

Autoace

Officer Indoctrination School is now Officer Development School...

In speaking more to the recruiter I found that there is a program called the HSCP (Health Services Collegiate Program). In this program you go to school full-time to get your Masters (in my case it would be a Masters of Science in Healthcare Administration) while being considered on active duty status and getting paid a full salary. You schooling is paid by you, and when you are finished, you are obligated to serve 3 years.

I would prefer this route because it guarantees me my Masters within the next 3-4 years, and then an instant job while getting to serve. You just have to be sure to get into an CAHME accredited program, and there is one in my area (CSU Long Beach).

I know I may not be in the right place but does anyone have any experience with this program???

Thanks

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Officer Indoctrination School is now Officer Development School...

In speaking more to the recruiter I found that there is a program called the HSCP (Health Services Collegiate Program). In this program you go to school full-time to get your Masters (in my case it would be a Masters of Science in Healthcare Administration) while being considered on active duty status and getting paid a full salary. You schooling is paid by you, and when you are finished, you are obligated to serve 3 years.

I would prefer this route because it guarantees me my Masters within the next 3-4 years, and then an instant job while getting to serve. You just have to be sure to get into an CAHME accredited program, and there is one in my area (CSU Long Beach).

I know I may not be in the right place but does anyone have any experience with this program???

Thanks

Sounds like you are now the duty expert (relative to everyone else here)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

Thanks

We're all pretty much pilots and therefore avoid doctors and hospitals at all costs. So, basically......no. :eek:

That said, it seems like you are our new "HCA SME", so welcome aboard.

Good luck to you!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
A Masters is not required to attend OIS (sorry , old guy, what does ODS stand for anyway). The degree required is based on the program one applies for, not attendance at ODS. Most all MSC jobs require a Masters and/or some kind of professional license. Direct Commission reserve Intel and Supply officers got to ODS and yet many of them only have a BA/BS.

ODS is attended by direct commission officers. They are active and reserve types of the Restricted Line and Staff Corps.

Here is an option for you. If you are into business management take a look at Supply Corps. You can get BDCP for Supply. After you have completed your first set of orders as a Supply guy put in for a change of designator to HCA. The business management,supply chain, and contract management aspects of the two are very similar. I think that might work for you. Get the money for school, experience the fleet and then switch to HCA. Don't bother your recruiter too much about this. He can't guarantee your switch to HCA later. But he will work with you on Supply. The rest is up to you.
ODS = LDO/DCO/CWO. Officer Development School. The OCS Chiefs beat an ODS class in the ocean once. It was fun to watch.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Thanks
I only know of the HSCP through recruiting ( I wasn't a medical recruiter though) and I gues I didn't know it that well. I didn't think HCA was a HCSP option. Sounds like you have found the angle to work. Good luck.