• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Questions

Tom

pilot
Contributor
36 year old Docs and all? Cool!
A couple of the ODS guys on watch at the quarter deck starting bad mouthing enlisted personnel (such as the PO2 on watch). The final straw I think was that new OCS guys checking in (the day before the seawall) were referred to as "fresh meat" by the ODS person on watch. Two classes got wet and sandy because no one gave themselves up. I was watching from a window in Nimitz and have to say my favorite line I heard a Chief yell was, "Bear crawl in my ocean right now!"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
A couple of the ODS guys on watch at the quarter deck starting bad mouthing enlisted personnel (such as the PO2 on watch). The final straw I think was that new OCS guys checking in (the day before the seawall) were referred to as "fresh meat" by the ODS person on watch. Two classes got wet and sandy because no one gave themselves up. I was watching from a window in Nimitz and have to say my favorite line I heard a Chief yell was, "Bear crawl in my ocean right now!"

I remember our DIs/Chiefs owned the F/A-18 in front of the API building, they owned the trees, and some of the buildings, but they now own the OCEAN? What kinda equity does the Atlantic have?? Did you nickname that Chief "Neptune"? :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A couple of the ODS guys on watch at the quarter deck starting bad mouthing enlisted personnel (such as the PO2 on watch). The final straw I think was that new OCS guys checking in (the day before the seawall) were referred to as "fresh meat" by the ODS person on watch.
Those dick head dircoms needed more then "Officer Development".

mustang13

Bdcp...help!

I'm new to Air Warriors and I have some questions about the BDCP program that I think you all could answer a little better than my officer recruiter (he's in the middle of transferring and the new recruiter for the area won't be available until the end of April). I've tried searching for some of the answers already but I didn't find anything that answered my questions. If they have been answered, just direct me to that forum. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

1) As of right now, I am a second year business major at an all-business university (it's a small, private, and accredited). I'll have my associates degree in May. It is my understanding that a business/liberal arts degree is worth less in the BDCP selection process than a technical or engineering degree. Would it be a good idea to switch majors to an engineering major or just stay at the school I'm at?

2) I know for a fact that I don't have "perfect" vision, but it's not that bad either (I don't know the exact numbers it's been years since an eye exam). How leniant are the standards for pilots' vision? I heard that pilots are allowed contacts. Also, is lasik surgery an option, assuming I get selected for BDCP, and will it be covered by the insurance?

3) How often do they select BDCP applicants? Are they chosen several times a year? Months?

I'd appreciate any help whatsoever.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
1) As of right now, I am a second year business major at an all-business university (it's a small, private, and accredited). I'll have my associates degree in May. It is my understanding that a business/liberal arts degree is worth less in the BDCP selection process than a technical or engineering degree. Would it be a good idea to switch majors to an engineering major or just stay at the school I'm at?

First of all, you need to be on track to get an accredited bachelor's degree. An associates is irrelavent here. Pilots need to see 20/40 uncorrected, PRK not lasik is an option. NFO's have much more lenient vision requirements.

Switching to an engineering major just to look like a better applicant is a horrible idea. You won't enjoy the curriculum, it's fucking hard, and your grades will probably tank if you're not really interested in it. Plenty of business majors have been selected for BDCP, focus on you, the individual, not what you think the Navy wants to see in a generic applicant.

BENDER

pilot
I agree with everything Thisguy said, especially switching to a engineering degree. I was a business major first and switched to engineering, but I did it my after the first semester. Business was boring, very boring, but if your a "thinker" by nature and like math, and enjoy pulling your hair out and having no life to go drink and party with your friends, by all means go engineering:D

mustang13

Before my recruiter transferred, he suggested that I consider switching majors. I did calculus and physics in high school, but its obviously harder in college. I just want to do everyhing I can to get selected. And I know the associates doesn't mean much; I am in progress for my bachelors right now.

navy_or_bust

Most boards meet every month. So depending on what you want to do, I am assuming aviation then they do meet every month. If you are considering eye surgery read up on other eye stuff as to what is allowed. In order to get picked up in the first place your eyes have to be good so getting it after won't do much for you. And for what I have read on this website, getting it paid for by the Navy is pretty limited.

BENDER

pilot
Before my recruiter transferred, he suggested that I consider switching majors. I did calculus and physics in high school, but its obviously harder in college. I just want to do everyhing I can to get selected. And I know the associates doesn't mean much; I am in progress for my bachelors right now.

It's not only harder but its different, more dynamic, complicated, you name it, more suck. If I were in your shoes I would not change majors, your too far in, just finish up and get some flight time, community service, high GPA, leadership position in some club, etc. Just my 2 cents

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Just like what the other guys were saying, I would not switch majors if I were you. I was playing with the idea of switching majors so that I would have a better chance of selection and my recruiter advised against it. He told me to do what I wanted to do and stick with it because changing your major doesn't guarantee you a place, might as well have a major you enjoy and are good at. I took his advice and still got into BDCP with a major no one has ever even heard of.
Oh, and chances are if you are legal to drive without corrective lenses your eyes are not worse than 20/40 because that's what they test you for at the DMV I believe.

Good Luck.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just like what the other guys were saying, I would not switch majors if I were you. I was playing with the idea of switching majors so that I would have a better chance of selection and my recruiter advised against it. He told me to do what I wanted to do and stick with it because changing your major doesn't guarantee you a place, might as well have a major you enjoy and are good at. I took his advice and still got into BDCP with a major no one has ever even heard of.
Oh, and chances are if you are legal to drive without corrective lenses your eyes are not worse than 20/40 because that's what they test you for at the DMV I believe.

Good Luck.
The DMV "eye test" is not a good measure of your vision. If you are truly curious just go to an eye doctor, tell them you are looking into the military and want a full eye exam with a letter summarizing it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The DMV "eye test" is not a good measure of your vision. If you are truly curious just go to an eye doctor, tell them you are looking into the military and want a full eye exam with a letter summarizing it.

While the DMV may not be a qualified source to determine your correct visual acuity (ie: civilian 20/40-2 = 20/40 while military aviator 20/40-0 =20/40), I'll play devil's advocate and say that at the DMV, I was tested on the goodlite chart (machine you put your head against) JUST like I was at MEPS and The Naval Hospital for my annual physical....

...just sayin.. :D

CofCrugby

You do not need to switch your major. I am a Business Administration major at a liberal arts school and I was selected for BDCP. Just make sure you have a good GPA and ASTB score.