• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Pay

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I have never met a person to figure BDCP out (but then again I have only dealt with Air Force people). They all just end up giving up.

What's this? ID B!TCHES!

I love waiving my fancy new ID card in my AFROTC friends' faces. They still have those paper POS IDs that get all crumpled..:D

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
fancy new ID card

Fancy? I think it looks a little ghetto. Big ole' sticker covering the front. Crappy hologram.

I'm going to use this thing at the next bar I go to instead of my license to see if the bouncer thinks it's fake. Anybody had this happen to him/her?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
BDCP is an absolute steal. I just bought my dad a 65 dollar sweatshirt for Christmas and I got 13 dollars off just by flashing the Navy id. Excellent.

To those who have been in for a while: how common is it for places to give a military discount?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BDCP is an absolute steal. I just bought my dad a 65 dollar sweatshirt for Christmas and I got 13 dollars off just by flashing the Navy id. Excellent.

To those who have been in for a while: how common is it for places to give a military discount?

Depends. With the exception of movie theaters, I usually don't ask, but graciously accept when discounts are offered.

Brett

sundevil_av8r

pilot
what id do you receive. i was under the impression that you would not receive a military id until after ocs. what does it look like and what info is on it? i only ask because i could get 5000 dollars of a brand new car if I had one.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
My program is called BDCP. Basically, you apply and swear into the Navy when you are in college. It's like ROTC, except you don't do too much when you're in college (just take 2 fitness tests per year, keep your grades above a 2.7, stay out of trouble, and keep in touch with the recruiter). They'll give you a paycheck every month and you have to go to OCS after you graduate.

It's an armed forces of the United States id card with Navy on it, full name, rank, date of birth, social security number, and a special chip with all your personal data stored in there.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
thanks. i know about bdcp, i was pro rec'd myself and waiting for final select. i just didnt know that you got your id already. what rank does it have if you aren't technically an 0-1 until after OCS?

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
thanks. i know about bdcp, i was pro rec'd myself and waiting for final select. i just didnt know that you got your id already. what rank does it have if you aren't technically an 0-1 until after OCS?

Yes you get an ID after you final select. Yours will actually say "non-PO" in the rank section. You get a new one when you commission.

Semisonic9

Hey guys, a few questions about BDCP pay for the guys who are actually in:

I was under the impression you're just paid and treated as a normal E-3. No more, no less. "Go to school, keep in touch with the recruiter, make good grades, stay out of trouble, and we'll see ya in OCS in 2-3 years!", basically. Time in-service counts towards pay raises and promotions, etc, etc. Everything just like you're enlisted, but that your "job" is to go to school and work towards a degree and OCS.

Then I was cruising the net and found some sites that indicated BDCP pay was "capped" at like $18k for the non-technical, and "up to $27k" for the technical boys.

So what's the real deal on this? OSD Military Compensation Web Site indicates total pay for an E-3 is around $35k (with pay + allowances, pre-tax). That's more than generous, but if it's capped somehow or if you don't get allowances, it would be good to know now.

-S

PS- Also heard you could still pay into the MGIB. The guy claimed it was kind of a weird loophole. Is that true? I wouldn't want to try to "stack them" but it'd be nice to have some money tucked away towards a Master's Degree. Especially for us Engineering folk, who kind of need one in some states. :)

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Your pay is not capped. The MGIB still exists for people have been in a while, but for new people it is the Post 9/11 Bill and requires nothing to be paid in. I believe to use the MGIB or the Post 9/11 Bill it requires 4 years of service.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot

I was under the impression you're just paid and treated as a normal E-3. No more, no less. "Go to school, keep in touch with the recruiter, make good grades, and we'll see ya on the flip side!" Time in-service counts towards pay raises and promotions, etc, etc.

Then I was cruising the net and found some sites that indicated pay was "capped" at like $18k for the non-technical, and up to $27k for the technical boys.

So what's the real deal on this? OSD Military Compensation Web Site indicates total pay for an E-3 is around $35k (with pay + allowances, pre-tax). That's more than generous, but if it's capped somehow or if you don't get allowances, it would be good to know now.

-S

PS- And actually when I'd heard you can even pay into MGIB for later use while in the BDCP. Is that true? I wouldn't try to stack them, but it'd be nice to have some money tucked away towards a Master's Degree, later on. Especially for us Engineering folk. :)

http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/mpcalcs/Calculators/RMC.aspx

Your pay is composed of Base pay (active duty E-3 through E-5 depending on if you move up) and BAH. You don't get any special allowances (uniform allowances, etc). And yes, you are fully eligible for the GI Bill. I don't know about all this technical/non technical crap. Just google Active duty military pay charts and see what an E-3 makes, add that to the BAH for your area, subtract applicable taxes, and that's what you'll make.

Oh, and thanks for posting this on a thread about BDCP pay already. Kudos for using the search function and not making the common newbie mistake.

Semisonic9

Oh, and thanks for posting this on a thread about BDCP pay already. Kudos for using the search function and not making the common newbie mistake.

No prob man. Thanks for the quick responses.

According to the calculator, Base Pay + BAS + BAH for my area (Orlando, FL) comes out to around $35k, pre-tax. Good enough. :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

I was under the impression you're just paid and treated as a normal E-3. No more, no less. "Go to school, keep in touch with the recruiter, make good grades, stay out of trouble, and we'll see ya in OCS in 2-3 years!", basically. Time in-service counts towards pay raises and promotions, etc, etc. Everything just like you're enlisted, but that your "job" is to go to school and work towards a degree and OCS.

Then I was cruising the net and found some sites that indicated BDCP pay was "capped" at like $18k for the non-technical, and "up to $27k" for the technical boys.

-S

PS- Also heard you could still pay into the MGIB. The guy claimed it was kind of a weird loophole. Is that true? I wouldn't want to try to "stack them" but it'd be nice to have some money tucked away towards a Master's Degree. Especially for us Engineering folk, who kind of need one in some states. :)

Ignore the numbers. I don't know of any cap and unless you got that information from an official military site I'd ignore it.

What that roughly translates to is they'll pay you for up to 2 years for non-technical degrees and 3 years for technical degrees. You can get promoted up to E-5 during that time and thus those numbers are meaningless and probably BS.

Semisonic9

What that roughly translates to is they'll pay you for up to 2 years for non-technical degrees and 3 years for technical degrees. You can get promoted up to E-5 during that time and thus those numbers are meaningless and probably BS.

Right. The promotion thing seems pretty sweet! I think recruiting another good candidate is very doable (at my particular school, and in my situation). Getting the Dean's List is probably a bit more difficult, especially considering my major, and if summer terms don't count, but not the end of the world...

How many of you guys gained rank this way?