• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Pay

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Too bad I don't get bumped up to O-4 for my good grades. :D

Brett

Even though the Dean's list boost is not applicable to me, I'm still pissed that I got a 3.4 this semester. Stupid lab professor is a douchebag....:icon_rage

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even though the Dean's list boost is not applicable to me, I'm still pissed that I got a 3.4 this semester. Stupid lab professor is a douchebag....:icon_rage

3.4? Amateur. ;) Should have chosen a better major. Last final for me today - construct wicker ottoman (underwater, of course). :D

Brett

BackOrdered

Contributor
Agreed. I'm surprised there isn't more hatred towards us from ROTC people. Except they don't have to deal with that pesky OCS factor.

I usually try not to bring it up unless I'm asked because it's all too confusing it seems for folk who have no clue what it is. But Whenever I'm asked what BDCP is or "who is this civy who talks of becoming an officer while in college without ROTC" MIDs and OCs either swear I signed only for enlistment and I'm not going to OCS, swear I'm just going to get thrown into the fleet as some sort of generic SWO, or just blow off the fairy tales of monthly pay and contractual community selection while being just another goof in college because that wasn't what their recruiter offered to them. Other than that, a few NROTC OCs/MIDs are my best friends.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Well NROTC gives you a full scholarship... and you can get it all 4 years. And if you have other scholarships, you can just pocket the change...

BackOrdered

Contributor
Well NROTC gives you a full scholarship... and you can get it all 4 years. And if you have other scholarships, you can just pocket the change...

Oh I know the advantages. I studied to go the ROTC route for a long time before I went BDCP. The trade off for ROTC MIDNs edge out BDCPers in many ways. You just gotta put up with the extra class, uniform, and mourning PTs amongst other things.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
I usually try not to bring it up unless I'm asked because it's all too confusing it seems for folk who have no clue what it is. But Whenever I'm asked what BDCP is or "who is this civy who talks of becoming an officer while in college without ROTC" MIDs and OCs either swear I signed only for enlistment and I'm not going to OCS, swear I'm just going to get thrown into the fleet as some sort of generic SWO, or just blow off the fairy tales of monthly pay and contractual community selection while being just another goof in college because that wasn't what their recruiter offered to them. Other than that, a few NROTC OCs/MIDs are my best friends.

Oh I had exactly this countless times. Most memorable was this girl, who was about as dumb as dirt, told me to "be careful" because the Navy had "screwed" a friend of hers who signed up when he was promised something and got something else. I tried to explain to her that I was not going enlisted, and that I signed a contract for a specific designator, but the gears in her head began slowing and grinding so I let well enough alone. It's amazing she was able to balance talking and breathing at the same time...

joeyg911

Yes, upon graduation you are an E-5. Maybe you should have read that contract a little closer...:D

From when you swear in, if you complete two semesters at a 3.5 GPA (or Dean's List on your transcript), you get a bump up to E-4. The tricky part is that I had above a 3.5 for two semesters, but one was during the summer. My transcript did not have "Dean's List" on it, so no raise for me.

Recommend someone who swears in and go to E-5 (or E-4 without the GPA raise). You know what the best deal is? I hear that upon being commissioned I get paid 0-1.:D Two months after that, I get the bump up for 2 years in. There's nothing quite like getting paid to drink 3 days a week. God I love the Navy.

How do u bumped up to two years so quickly? BDCP or prior?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Oh I had exactly this countless times. Most memorable was this girl, who was about as dumb as dirt, told me to "be careful" because the Navy had "screwed" a friend of hers who signed up when he was promised something and got something else. I tried to explain to her that I was not going enlisted, and that I signed a contract for a specific designator, but the gears in her head began slowing and grinding so I let well enough alone. It's amazing she was able to balance talking and breathing at the same time...

Thats because people generally never hear how the officer side of recruiting works and only hear the oh too common stories of enlisted recruiters "lying" to them about what they will do in the navy. Anything that sounds too good to be true is stereotypically synonymous with enlisted recruiting in the minds of the general public.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
How do u bumped up to two years so quickly? BDCP or prior?

In BDCP I am technically enlisted in the Navy Reserve. This means that I get to start my retirement counter and years of service for a bump to the right on the pay scale in college.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
In BDCP I am technically enlisted in the Navy Reserve.

That's what I was saying today when I took a trip to get my Navy id with my recruiter. The people kept asking me what I was and I said enlisted in the reserves. Yet my recruiter kept saying active duty. So the little chip on my id is apparently registering me as active duty. Confusing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a lot of superfluous BS in this otherwise good thread. Offending posts deleted, proceed with caution.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor
That's what I was saying today when I took a trip to get my Navy id with my recruiter. The people kept asking me what I was and I said enlisted in the reserves. Yet my recruiter kept saying active duty. So the little chip on my id is apparently registering me as active duty. Confusing.

I knew I was active duty, but when they looked me up on DEERS they were like...uh...what are you? I was like "I'm in a pre-commissioning program". They said "don't you have a uniform or anything you should be wearing??!" I casually replied "no...I haven't earned anything yet":D

They eventually figured it out.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have never met a person to figure BDCP out (but then again I have only dealt with Air Force people). They all just end up giving up.

What's this? ID B!TCHES!