• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a sophomore at Cornell University majoring in mechanical engineering. I plan to graduate with at least a 3.2 GPA then I will continue to do my one year's masters in Aerospace Engineering also at Cornell before applying for OCS. I've already started taking flight lessons and I am projected to have 50+ hours in a Cessna 172 before the end of my masters.

Work experience includes Aerospace research intern with the national science foundation (2017), Materials researcher with LSAMP (2016), Mechanical Engineering Intern with BAE Systems (summer 2018), and Mechanical Engineering Intern with Honda (fall 2018).

My ultimate goal is to be accepted into Navy Test Pilot School.

I have a few questions:

- What are the factors that the aviation board cares most about in order of importance? (ex. GPA, major, flight hours, ASTB, leadership positions, internships)

- What percentage of pilots are selected compared to the other branches of the service and what is the average statistics of a selected candidate?

- Will a masters in Aerospace Engineering and an interest in Test Pilot School increase my chances of selection?

Thank you guys for your time and advice!

Best,

Sam

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
- What are the factors that the aviation board cares most about in order of importance? (ex. GPA, major, flight hours, ASTB, leadership positions, internships)

Search. This has been discussed several times on here.

- What percentage of pilots are selected compared to the other branches of the service and what is the average statistics of a selected candidate?

42%

- Will a masters in Aerospace Engineering and an interest in Test Pilot School increase my chances of selection?

No.

I have a full scholarship up to my masters from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation. So I wanted to take advantage of it, and Test Pilot School requires some courses that are offered in the curriculum for the aerospace degree. It's only one more year and it gives a chance to get a new GPA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have a full scholarship up to my masters from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation. So I wanted to take advantage of it, and Test Pilot School requires some courses that are offered in the curriculum for the aerospace degree. It's only one more year and it gives a chance to get a new GPA.

The ASTB is the biggest factor when it comes to selection. Your degree/masters degree and GPA... not so much.

Ok, thank you for the advice! I'll make sure to read the threads that you guys have written and recommended. I'll make sure to ace the ASTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.