• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automatic Ding from

red_ryder

None
My recruiter told me it's a 6-9 month application process, so I do have some time to reflect and mull it over. I can tell you that if I get accepted and I decide to do it, I'll be going into it 100%. Right now I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible about what the job actually entails, so I can make an informed decision. I'm pretty sure that every day of my life would be shooting down a few migs and buzzing the tower, after boning the admiral's smokin-hot daughter of course :icon_smil

However, judging from some of these replies and that waiver guide that was posted, I probably won't have the option to make that choice. I'm still going to go for it and see if I can get those requirements waived. So yeah, I do have to shit or get off the pot, but at least I have a few months to get some reading done on it.

See, he's got plenty of time, the waiting is the worst part. Just go for it, and if you get rejected apply again, they say on here that lots don't make it til their second or third try. I don't even think it should take that long.

A4, I submit that not everyone has their head together about why they want to be a naval aviator when they decide to join. I personally wanted to make sure I wasn't just thinking of Top Gun, so I had to think about it awhile, have my dedication tested a couple times, etc.

IBvsSNA

See, he's got plenty of time, the waiting is the worst part. Just go for it, and if you get rejected apply again, they say on here that lots don't make it til their second or third try. I don't even think it should take that long.

A4, I submit that not everyone has their head together about why they want to be a naval aviator when they decide to join. I personally wanted to make sure I wasn't just thinking of Top Gun, so I had to think about it awhile, have my dedication tested a couple times, etc.

i agree, despite my sarcasm about top gun earlier, i really want to know exactly what i'm getting into before i commit, bc once i do i'm not turning back. i take the commitment very seriously and i don't want to join unless i'm certain. i think a few months should be enough though, i've been reading books and online stuff to try to get an accurate view of what it is like and what kind of people excel at it.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
i agree, despite my sarcasm about top gun earlier, i really want to know exactly what i'm getting into before i commit, bc once i do i'm not turning back. i take the commitment very seriously and i don't want to join unless i'm certain. i think a few months should be enough though, i've been reading books and online stuff to try to get an accurate view of what it is like and what kind of people excel at it.

I really hate to be the spelling/grammar police, but how about committing to properly capitalizing your "I"'s? Is it that hard to hit the shift key?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
See, he's got plenty of time, the waiting is the worst part. ....... A4, I submit that not everyone has their head together about why they want to be a naval aviator when they decide to join..... etc.
Right, he does have some "time" ... but a "few months" isn't much time when considering a career when the clock is ticking, as I am sure you would agree. I suppose my perspective is a little slanted since I knew what I wanted to do when I was 7 years old and nothing got in the way of my goals.

Right again, everyone doesn't have their head together viz a vie Naval Aviation. Those folks frequently don't do well and many don't finish the program. One of the primary reasons is they are not "committed" from the get-go. Naval Aviation is the top of the stack; and as such it requires dedication, commitment (there's that word, again), physical ability, mental toughness, and persistence in order to achieve a satisfactory measure of success.

It's not for the "undecided" nor the faint of heart. You "join" the Navy -- or Goldman Sachs -- you become a Naval Aviator only if you meet the standards and have the right stuff. You gotta want it .... :)

But best of luck to both of you guys.

annaisdivine

I know this is pretty cliche', but I've always heard to "do what makes your heart sing and the money will follow."
I'm sure y'all can come up with a male rendition of this quote.
I just know that if you're doing what you REALLY want to do, it'll all work out. Yes, finances can be an issue, but it's really about discipline.

red_ryder

None
The money's pretty good as you get up there in NA, plus you can't put a price on loving your job, I would think...

Right, he does have some "time" ... but a "few months" isn't much time when considering a career when the clock is ticking, as I am sure you would agree. I suppose my perspective is a little slanted since I knew what I wanted to do when I was 7 years old and nothing got in the way of my goals.

Right again, everyone doesn't have their head together viz a vie Naval Aviation. Those folks frequently don't do well and many don't finish the program. One of the primary reasons is they are not "committed" from the get-go. Naval Aviation is the top of the stack; and as such it requires dedication, commitment (there's that word, again), physical ability, mental toughness, and persistence in order to achieve a satisfactory measure of success.

It's not for the "undecided" nor the faint of heart. You "join" the Navy -- or Goldman Sachs -- you become a Naval Aviator only if you meet the standards and have the right stuff. You gotta want it .... :)

But best of luck to both of you guys.

Ah, see we have different ideas of what "a long time" means. I guess in my opinion a few months should be enough time. That makes me feel better.

Plus, for me it was scary how few doubts I had, so for awhile I was scared that I was just infatuated with the idea...I can understand wanting to verify one's strong feelings in this case.

Thanks for the luck!

The Stoic

Just wanting to emphasize how stupid money is once you get past the point of fulfilling your needs. I mean you get to the point where your just buying stuff cause you have money. Or you could wake up and say, hmm today i'm gonna go kick some tail. Instead of hmmm i'm gonna go to pier 1 and buy some lame crap for the house then go to my coke party later and get an STD.

They say $40,000 is all a bachelor really ever needs to be completely satisfied financially so that sounds good to me. Anything more is greed (excluded paying back school loans in this argument).

Well that's my rant for the morning, i'm a little wired as I am supposedly finding out if I have gotten in today or tomorrow. Pins and needles, pins and needles here.

phrogpilot73

The only thing that I'd offer to this discussion is that if you are currently on the ADD drugs now, and are "willing" to go off them if you get commissioned, drop them now. The more time you're off them, the better your application will get...

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
How the hell do you go over 100k in debt in college? I guess we got some doctors in the house. Or a lot of Ivy League grads without scholarships. I thought my 20k was bad from paying for civilian flight and tuition. And that included a commercial/instrument license.

Yes, I actually do have a doctorate. I was in school for seven years and I had a couple of scholarships and waivers along the way but you have to factor in the tuition, insurance, cost of books, living expenses, and ebay addiction.