• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automatic Ding from

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Being the hospitable host that my mama raised me to be, I always offered them a nice hot coffee or Pepsi as they waited for my roommate.

Am I going to be banned for talking about the Mormons?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
thanks for all of the replies. still not sure what i'll go for if i do end up getting an offer from goldman sachs and the navy. not gonna lie, would way rather pursue a naval aviator career, but the $$$ to be made from wall street are awfully tempting, especially if you have $50k in debt from undergrad school loans. i have no history of drugs etc, but i have been taking meds for a.d.d. since high school, and i do only have a 3.3 in college. i've already decided to go ahead and apply to be a pilot, but i wanted to know what the chances were, given my medical and legal history (i have 2 bs misdemeanors...).

i've been talking to a guy who now works for gs after being an f-14 pilot for 10 years, and that pretty much seems like the ideal career path for me. i just don't know what the odds are of getting into a top firm or a top b-school after the navy. like i said though, i'm really torn between the two career paths, though i'm probably leaning slightly towards the navy (assuming i get accepted). any more advice or recommendations are certainly appreciated.

Some points:

-If you're not sure, you shouldn't join the military. You will find yourself in a miserable existance very quickly. The military lifestyle, from the little I've been able to sample thus far, is very different than that of a wall street stock broker. I personally can't wait to be a part of it, but it's not for everyone. While I'm not an officer yet, I can tell that it's going to be a lot of work, no matter what designation you choose.

-I'm surprised no one jumped on this because it goes along with the cliche "I want to fly jets" posts: Considering that F-14's are being phased out, if they aren't already all decommissioned by now, you really shouldn't enter Naval Aviation with the intention to fly one, nor should you enter Naval Aviation for the sole purpose of flying fixed-wing strike aircraft (which are now the F/A-18's mainly). According to what I've read on this forum, you have to be at the top of your class AND be lucky if you want to get a spot flying those.

-"Only a 3.3" isn't that bad. Despite what some recruiters might tell you, you do not need a perfect 4.0 gpa to become an officer. I actually just asked one of the LT's on the NVIP trip if you need a waiver for a C+, since I got one in Organic Chemistry. He scoffed and said "fuck no."

-Along those lines, no one can tell you your chances. That is why they've been telling you to apply.

-There is no such thing as a "bs misdemeanor." You broke the law, and the Navy is going to want to know that you know you did the wrong thing. They have high standards of conduct for their officers, and they want to know that you're going to set an example for the men you're leading. I'm not trying to get on a high horse about this because my record isn't squeeky-clean, either, albeit I don't have a misdemeanor. But I certainly don't write it off as "bs." You're going to have to explain all this stuff on your application, and the Navy wants to know that you've learned from your mistakes.

-By no means should you enter a military career for the money, but the pay of an officer is pretty damn good. Just recognize that around 50% of that pay is going to come in the form of incentives/living allowances. For example, my recruiter, who is a pilot in his 8th year of service, makes around $60,000 for his salary. However, since he lives and works out of the NYC NRD, his BAH/BAS brings that up to ~$90,000. Oh, and only the $60,000 base is taxable. Flight pay, hazard pay, and all the other stuff you get while on deployment easily brings that over $100,000. Oh, and if signs another 5 year contract, which he isn't, they'll throw something like $120,000 in bonuses his way. The pay of an O-1 is around $35,000, but with housing and other allowances, you can expect that to be around $40,000. The only reason it's not too much higher is that as an O-1 aviator, you'll be in flight school, so you don't get all the above mentioned bonuses aside from cost of living stuff. Also realize that while you are underway, you're not spending a dime on anything except your meals at the mess hall. Just don't blow it all when you pull into port.

On the other hand, as I'm sure you're aware, some stock brokers make a killing, and some struggle. You don't sell stock, you don't make the money. I don't know why you're so confident that being a stock broker is going to make you rich. A lot of them just commit suicide.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Am I going to be banned for talking about the Mormons?

I am mormon and find everything said totally offensive. If I had the power I would ban all non LDS.

brigham_young_statue01.jpg

J/K I am mormon, but a jack mormon. I drink a lot of coffee, I drink, I smoke the occasional cigar, swear and listen to Slayer. Plus I have had pre marital relations. I am going to hell....

Not all mormons are stiffs. Give one a hug.

MasterBates

I prefer to give Mormons beer. And see what happens.

By pretty much every religions barometer, I am going to hell/hades/underworld.

I'll deal with that too.

skim

None
Contributor
Im surprised they go for beer since consuming barley is against the word of wisdom. I would think you would give them a nice mai tai or something fruity to break the ice.

You are talking about mormon gals right??

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So you ever find the holy plates that that dude who created Mormonism hid under his pillow?

The story of how Mormons came to be is hilarious. Granted, most creation myths/religious beginnings are funny and outlandish to begin with, but Mormons take the cake.

skim

None
Contributor
I think scientology is the icing and the cherry.

Don't be hatin yo, we's know how 2 git down:

(check the cartoon banned by the church too.)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Old Skipper of our at VT-4 was Mormon. He used to drink near beer at the winging parties and walk around like he was shit faced, telling us stories of all the chicks he had banged on cruise (no joke). He attempted to open mouth kiss my wife as well at one of the winging parties...again, no joke.

phrogpilot73

However, since he lives and works out of the NYC NRD, his BAH/BAS brings that up to ~$90,000. Oh, and only the $60,000 base is taxable. Flight pay, hazard pay, and all the other stuff you get while on deployment easily brings that over $100,000.
Not entirely true. If it's an ALLOWANCE (i.e - Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) or Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS)) then it's not taxable. So Base Pay and Flight Pay are taxable, BAH/BAS is not. When deployed, it could be ALL of it is not taxable, or just some of it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not entirely true. If it's an ALLOWANCE (i.e - Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) or Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS)) then it's not taxable. So Base Pay and Flight Pay are taxable, BAH/BAS is not. When deployed, it could be ALL of it is not taxable, or just some of it.
Thanks for clearing that up, although the officers on the VIP trip informed us of the imaginary line over in the Gulf. Must be a pretty good deal to work over there.

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
Weed Dings

Was reading on here that they don't care about weed, my friends they do. Don't ever think they won't find out.

There was a guy at OCS while I was there who lied on his espq and to the doc about past weed smoking, said he never had touched the stuff. Well some friends of friends of friends got called thru the espq and viola, they came to him 2 days before graduation and asked him again "did you smoke week, you can be honest because we just need to know" he said no, they gave him a polygraph, he got busted and got sent home. I felt so bad for him because he was such a good nuke candidate, except for the lying of course. Too bad.