• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 09 Boards

bvlinas

Pill_Hacker said:
Have you checked the schedule for FY10 selection boards? Reasons I ask is that there was only 1 month of selection for SPECOPS in FY09.

Yeah the August board is the only one for specops that I know of for the rest of the year according to my recruiter. Specops being EOD and not to be confused with specwar or SEAL. I really have not seen much for FY10 as of yet, but hopefully they will be expanding the SPECOPS community like they are SPECWAR. From what I read, they only accepted two applicants in FY08 to EOD. 2!!!

One more questions for this knowledgeable group. I'm seeing wild variations with the time between your professional rec. and the designated OCS date. Does anyone have an idea about what determines the amount of time between your acceptance and your OCS date? I'm looking to get going ASAP.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
bvlinas;575084 One more questions for this knowledgeable group. I'm seeing wild variations with the time between your professional rec. and the designated OCS date. Does anyone have an idea about what determines the amount of time between your acceptance and your OCS date? I'm looking to get going ASAP.[/quote said:
I think we are all looking to get going ASAP. The time from pro-rec to final select will depend on how long it takes to get your MEPS, PRT and background check done. If anything comes up at MEPS that requires a waiver, that obviously extends your timeframe. I have heard some people say your background check has to have been started, and others say it has to have been completed before FS - anybody have a hard answer? After that, the OCS date they give you will probably just depends on needs of the Navy and available slots.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
I think we are all looking to get going ASAP. The time from pro-rec to final select will depend on how long it takes to get your MEPS, PRT and background check done. If anything comes up at MEPS that requires a waiver, that obviously extends your timeframe. I have heard some people say your background check has to have been started, and others say it has to have been completed before FS - anybody have a hard answer? After that, the OCS date they give you will probably just depends on needs of the Navy and available slots.

Not only that but it also depends on your designator. If you are going SWO, SNA, NFO, etc--anything that requires a Secret level clearance, you will likely be getting your FS sooner than IW and INTEL which require a TS/TCI. I'm noticing about a two months delay. Either way, be prepared to wait a long time to FS and class up. I was pro-rec'd in may, and spoke to my OR today and my clearance and PQ is done, but it's still going to be at least three more weeks until a FS.

You will hear back around the first week of the following month as to whether or not you've been pro-rec'd. Wait for your OR to call you until the end of the first week of September. Then pick up the phone and ask.

In the meantime, get in shape, learn your gouge, and stay motivated!

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
One other thing to add which was circulated was that it may depend on your designator and how backed up your follow-on training classes are post-OCS.

If there are several dudes waiting to class-up, it could prolong your OCS date.

Just something to consider.

In other news, us August board candidates' time is approaching...

shark505

so will they meet friday or monday....and so begins the on edge marathon...hope everyone has their favorite time killing beverages stocked up

Scruff

None
Contributor
Pill, would you know where you could find that info out?

Niktam, there are only two boards per calendar year for SEAL selection. One in January and one in July. I'm afraid you may have missed the July board. If you did may I make one suggestion. Train for the PRT like it is your job.

I'm gonna give you some tough love here so take it as is: Your physical stats are good, though they are not great in terms of specwar. I spent two years training for and monitoring the SEAL PRT all to fall short. Here is what is necessary to receive a pro-rec. Swim: Sub 9:00 (you're excellent), Push-ups: 100+. No joke, I don't know of an applicant that didn't hit 100 that got in. Sit-Ups: 100+, same as push. Chin ups: 20+ You have to hit this mark. Run: Sub 8:30 (you're excellent here also).

You have to remember that they are looking for guys to be EXCELLENT leaders in the teams, and if you you're in worse shape than the guys under you. How would that look?
I know two guys I graduated with that enlisted and one just completed hell week. His original officer (academy) was in horrible shape and was shunned by him and the other fellow enlisted guys. He eventually DOR'd.

With all that garbage being said, and with what i've been told, the selection board looks very hard at your PRT and not near as hard on your OAR, GPA and others. So if you missed the boards, train hard and take your PRT again. And if you want I'll send you some workouts that are made for major increases in the areas you are a little weak in.

Hope this helps and pm if you have any questions.

Edit: Also if you did make the boards, good luck!

Scruff

None
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
This isn't very true. If you track those who have been selected they are STUDS in all categories. Niktam was asking about specops, anyways, which is not SEAL, although arguably more competitive because of so fewer spots.

Agreed. That is why like 35% of guys in the teams have college degrees. They're all studs. I'm not saying that they don't look hard, but it doesn't take a 60 plus to be in the keeper pile. I know specifically of a 50 and a 49.

And sorry about wrong designator, I thought he was referring to specwar. Niktam, disregard the info about the boards, I have no idea when specops meets nor the physical requirements for selection. Good luck man.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
so will they meet friday or monday....and so begins the on edge marathon...hope everyone has their favorite time killing beverages stocked up

Hitting a bar after work this afternoon and the weekend is going to be a well-stocked adventure by the pool.

Knowing the fed/military (based on the way my agency operates...), they will probably meet Monday... Meaning we should probably extend all killing time events through next week :eek:

Edit: a poster at NavyOCS.org just passed along that boards convene the 17th for SNA, NFO and SWO. Might be lucky and get the results by the end of next week. Relayed from his/her OR.

Best of luck to everyone.

PJ81

FS SNA
Good Luck All

Good Luck Everyone.....don't do anything stupid this final weekend before the board. I'll be enjoying me some Jim Beam, and perhaps some Newcastles, so I can't guarantee that I'll be following my own advice, but I'm sure I'll stay away from johhy law, and out of the hospital so I should be safe.

shark505

i feel like if weve made it this far we should be able to make it down the home stretch....but never know specially when the whiskey starts flowing...

and yeah dukeandrew, a dains trip is definitely in order

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
i feel like if weve made it this far we should be able to make it down the home stretch....but never know specially when the whiskey starts flowing...

and yeah dukeandrew, a dains trip is definitely in order

My sentiments exactly about slugging it out thus far.

Hitting the unofficial "O Club", aka Sine's, today after work to dabble in some Jameson and a Boddingtons.

I advise others to follow suit :D

Cinquain

Banned
August Board

Does anyone know how long it takes for you to find out if you got selected or non selected for the August board of 2009. I'm kinda eager to find out what will my results be.
I applied for Supply and SWO for BDCP
21/M, fluent in creole and french
3.9 GPA with a major in mathematics at Columbia University
Prior Service, served two years active duty in the navy as an engineer (Machinist Mate)
Scored a 45 on the OAR
Letter of recommendation from my First class in the reserves, from my calculus II professor, and an education council in which I did volunteer work for.
My recruiter said I did not need to take a PRT since I'm currently in the Navy reserves.
Good luck to everyone.

PJ81

FS SNA
Does anyone know how long it takes for you to find out if you got selected or non selected for the August board of 2009. I'm kinda eager to find out what will my results be.

Aren't we all, :icon_wink
If we are superduper lucky we could hear something by the end of the week. In the past people have found out just a couple days after the board met. But my money is on us finding out sometime next week. Hopefully not any longer than that, but anything could happen. I've seen people wait a month just to hear they did or did not get accepted.