• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 09 Boards

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Had multiple issues with the NASIS website and SF-86 form which held up my packet...hoping that I can get a pass because of this. It always seems that something is in the way...may be I'll be good to go for September Boards?? :confused:

That sucks - I missed the July boards because of SF-86 stuff. They changed a couple questions on it after I submitted it. So they rejected mine and I had to fill it out again. Hurry up and wait is no joke.

blarged

ready
That sucks - I missed the July boards because of SF-86 stuff. They changed a couple questions on it after I submitted it. So they rejected mine and I had to fill it out again. Hurry up and wait is no joke.

That SF86 site is a serious pain. After spending hours only to find out that the site does not function properly unless using Internet Explorer (or at least was the case DEC2007) things were just difficult. Then when I re-applied after being a non-select some months later, had to go and refill out the entire thing ... yikes no fun.

The SF86 is by far the most headache I had in the application process. Granted ... it was good to get back in touch with some people that I knew from past addresses / jobs making sure they knew I was putting their name and number down.

shark505

yeah, SF-86 sucks and yes you still can only use Internet Explorer, I think I tried calling my recruiter/processor like 5 times trying to figure out why it wasn't working then one day I randomly decided to download IE and guess what? It worked...but then it gave me an error that wouldn't let me save and move on saying the form was complete.....

Anyone else sides me and DukeAndrew in the central NC area wana grab some beers some time to try and make the wait go faster?

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
I actually had to go to the recruiting station and spout off all my info. to my OR while he typed it into the NASIS website. I couldn't get it to save anything, just like in sharks^ case. Big pain. If you are using a mac or firefox, the site is basically useless.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I actually had to go to the recruiting station and spout off all my info. to my OR while he typed it into the NASIS website. I couldn't get it to save anything, just like in sharks^ case. Big pain. If you are using a mac or firefox, the site is basically useless.

Damn dude. Your recruiter must really love you.

Have to get it done some how.

If I was in NC, I wouldn't mind joining. Going to be a lot of Jameson drinking come the next two weeks to make them fly by.

Fonz

little unclear

ok so I have to ask. I took the astb and did okay (5/6/5 54). And I know the qualification is something like 3/4/4. But what role does the oar section play? Is that taken into consideration more so? cuz I see guys with a 6/6/6 and a 45 or so on the oar. Then another one like 5/5/5 62. Its so confusing.

Anyone...anyone

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
ok so I have to ask. I took the astb and did okay (5/6/5 54). And I know the qualification is something like 3/4/4. But what role does the oar section play? Is that taken into consideration more so? cuz I see guys with a 6/6/6 and a 45 or so on the oar. Then another one like 5/5/5 62. Its so confusing.

Anyone...anyone

I am not too sure what you are getting at, but I don't know if anyone can tell what section is most important. It probably depends on what you are applying for. search through boards from past months and you will get an idea of what kind of scores get accepted.

overspeed550

NPA A-Pool
I've been lurking on these boards for a few months now, I suppose it's time to belly up to the bar and say hello.

My package was submitted for the Aug board, and judging by last month's success rate, August looks good.

Stats:
SNA only
24/M, Prior Service, USAF ANG (current drill-status guardsman)
7/8/7 48 OAR (why did I get a 48???)
3.20 GPA, Business Management graduate
1200+ Flight Hours, Type Rated on Gulfstream series aircraft
Solid LOR's: 3 ex Hornet Drivers (O6, O6, O5), Current CO (O6), Chief Pilot (ex Hornet Driver / O5), and another Chief Pilot
Father, Uncle, Grandfather were all Naval Aviators
"Excellent" PRT scores with the AF (pretty sure it stacks up well with the Nav's scores)

Only thing the recruiter was concerned with was the "48" OAR score..but he made it seem like it didn't matter in the long run- I wonder how I got that score anywho. Oh well, can retake again for that if needed. Being prior service and having a current security clearance was beautiful, no SF-86!!!

So anyways, worth a shot right? Drilling holes in the sky in business jets is nice, but nothing compares to this....

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
My scores were pretty similar (6/8/7 50), and I suspected it was probably the math. I'm pretty sure that section ate me for lunch.

runron

My scores were pretty similar (6/8/7 50), and I suspected it was probably the math. I'm pretty sure that section ate me for lunch.

The OAR is derived by combining Math/Verbal and Mechanical comprehension, but if you're applying for a pilot slot it's not as important as the other scores.

overspeed550

NPA A-Pool
Pill_Hacker said:
It's hit or miss, really. Almost every month there is someone who everyone thought would get in but doesn't. The guy below didn't get accepted last month:

I saw his stats in last month's board forum, he looked pretty good too. I wasn't implying it was sure-fire for Aug, far from it...but the odds look decent at least, and the rest is a crapshoot.

Cashvilleplt, I noticed your stats too- if you can get selected with our scores, and you did, that's great encouragement. Thanks for that.

markkyle66

I saw his stats in last month's board forum, he looked pretty good too. I wasn't implying it was sure-fire for Aug, far from it...but the odds look decent at least, and the rest is a crapshoot.

Cashvilleplt, I noticed your stats too- if you can get selected with our scores, and you did, that's great encouragement. Thanks for that.

I think if you can take anything from my background, it's that the ASTB isn't the end-all-be-all of your kit. It's certainly important, but it can be made up for in other areas. I accepted that I would have to do just that so, I polished everything else in my background as much as I could that was within my control. (academics, community involvement/work (great way to get LOR's), physical fitness, motivational statement, etc.) And as with everything else in the Navy, sometimes it just comes down to playing the timing game and doing alot of praying!

Good luck to you all

bvlinas

I'm glad to see how competitive it is to get into OCS these days, the Navy deserves the best and the brightest. Good luck to all! Here are my stats for the August Board:

24/M
Desigs:
SPECOPS
SWO
PILOT
ASTB: 6,6,6 53
PST: 8:16 swim, 72 Pushups, 92 situps, 17 dead hangs, 8:46 1.5 mile
4 letters of rec, 1 Capt. 2 employers, one professor
1 interview: excellent rating(i dont know how they rate these, 1-10?)
father and brother naval officers.

University of California, Santa Barbara: Global Studies, 3.30
Deans list 2 years.
NCAA D1 track and field, scholarship.
founding father, president of fraternity chapter.

Anyone know when we should hear the results from the August Boards? I am grinding my teeth until i find out!

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Anyone know when we should hear the results from the August Boards? I am grinding my teeth until i find out!

I don't think anyone has a set date, but the boards are supposed to meet the 15th of each month (this month the 15th is a Saturday so it may get pushed back a couple days). Judging by the posts on boards from past months, you can expect to see results trickling out 1-2 weeks after the boards meet.

grab a beer and play the waiting game