• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrite to SNFO but wait, how?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yo dawg, you’re at VT-10, right?

If I may make a suggestion, you might want to put the internet down for a bit. There are people at your current command who’s job it is to answer questions about these things. If you would like to discuss the finer points of the 1500, or really anything Navy-related, ask your class advisor during office hours. If they can’t help you, feel free to PM me and we can chat.

I’ll give you a hint, though: the responses in this thread have been spot on re attrition and program changes.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
To be blunt, you’re screwed for becoming a Navy pilot. Your best bet would be to try for a pilot slot in another branch after your NFO commitment is complete, provided you still meet age requirements and that you can convince them to overlook your attrite.
Ahh, I see I forgot to reply to this gem of a post. Based on the exact wording of the instruction you love to quote, you attrited due to a flight failure (your poor landing pattern performance). So (and I’ll paste the exact words you used here):

Flight Attrition/Non-Grad. Attrition/Non-Grad is the result of flight (SNA) or practical work (SNFO) failure. NFSs in this category are disqualified for further naval pilot training and are given a negative recommendation for any military pilot training.

So it’s actually worse for you than I initially assumed. Not only are you completely disqualified for any shot at becoming a Navy pilot again, that negative recommendation for military pilot training will screw your chances for any other branch. There won’t be any waivers either, because it’s not worth the risk for a service to chance a slot on a previous failure. Nerd out on missing pieces of paper all you want, pilot is not in your future.

I seriously wish you the best of luck in your NFO career. This site is your first introduction to what a real ready room is like. Learn from the experience and good luck in the fleet.

Even the ANG probably won't be able to take him. I am one of the few exceptions as a pilot who successfully became pilot in another service (the USAF) after being removed from flight status in the USMC. The reason? I was a rated pilot (winged aviator) that failed to obtain a qualification that doesn't exist in the USAF (landing on a boat). So the big USAF says I am a fully qualified fighter pilot (yeah, fighter pilot, because apparently that still matters here). So in the USAF I am a full up 11F qualified pilot in an RPA billet.

In my unit we have an intel officer who failed out of USAF UPT in T-6's. Good dude, but we need a 3-star general to sign a waiver for him to go to RPA flight school because he's already attrited from flight school. I suppose there is a waiver for everything in the Guard, but he's been sitting on it for over a year.

Hillbilly Gargoyle

Leisure Suit model and aspiring mariachi bassist
You are a "program change," and likley because somebody somewhere thought you still had potential in a flight suit, including your old Commodore and a long line of CNATRA staff officers that reviewed your package and every word on every grade sheet you earned (the same officers that wrote the 1500.... which includes Program Change instructions that you might have missed). Don't be the FNAEB guy that claims "I thought it couldn't be a flameout because the Master Caution wasn't blinking."

MGoBrew11

pilot
Even the ANG probably won't be able to take him. I am one of the few exceptions as a pilot who successfully became pilot in another service (the USAF) after being removed from flight status in the USMC. The reason? I was a rated pilot (winged aviator) that failed to obtain a qualification that doesn't exist in the USAF (landing on a boat). So the big USAF says I am a fully qualified fighter pilot (yeah, fighter pilot, because apparently that still matters here). So in the USAF I am a full up 11F qualified pilot in an RPA billet.

In my unit we have an intel officer who failed out of USAF UPT in T-6's. Good dude, but we need a 3-star general to sign a waiver for him to go to RPA flight school because he's already attrited from flight school. I suppose there is a waiver for everything in the Guard, but he's been sitting on it for over a year.

I actually do know a guy that attrited from Navy helo advanced (so never winged) and is now a National Guard helicopter guy. But he did make it through primary at the very least. So it has been done, but definitely extremely rare. He is the only person I know of that has done something like that.

We've all seen the box that is on every military flight program application: "Have you ever failed out of a military flight training program?"

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I actually do know a guy that attrited from Navy helo advanced (so never winged) and is now a National Guard helicopter guy. But he did make it through primary at the very least. So it has been done, but definitely extremely rare. He is the only person I know of that has done something like that.

We've all seen the box that is on every military flight program application: "Have you ever failed out of a military flight training program?"
That being said, I do have one student that attrited from Navy advanced that picked up ANG and is now flying jets, but he was super hard working, had a great attitude, and several very detailed LOR’s (including one from me, who was an USAF primary grad) recommending him for another shot at it.

He was the unicorn…

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That being said, I do have one student that attrited from Navy advanced that picked up ANG and is now flying jets, but he was super hard working, had a great attitude, and several very detailed LOR’s (including one from me, who was an USAF primary grad) recommending him for another shot at it.

He was the unicorn…

Not even being sarcastic, that's a pretty motivating story

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Lotsa folks fired up on the thread. Thought I took a wrong turn into the war zone for a second.

I’m not going to argue about the verbiage of an instruction. There’s no point- the Navy regularly ignores its own instructions and does what it wants.

To the OP,
To attrite in the 4300 block of primary you generally have to be exceptionally terrible at flying. That doesn’t mean you’ve met the end of the road as a pilot. Just met the end of your road as a military pilot. Go Get your PPL in a Cessna and keep improving your skills on the GA side of the house, where aircraft performance is lower and time to completion Isn’t a constraint.

There are plenty of NFOs who have become successful pilots on the outside.

The only person I know that is having problems breaking into the professional pilot world is an air force dude who attrited out of pilot UPT and Nav school afterwards. In addition to having the two failures on his record, he’s not doing a very good job at “owning” them and people doing hiring at the various regionals and part 135 gigs don’t proceed after they hear the list of excuses about his training endeavors. If you want to have a shot at being a professional pilot on the outside, your best bet is probably to unfuck your perceived attitude problem and complete NFO training.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To the OP, I realize this perspective is hard to understand because you're clearly disappointed, but just chill out and do your best where you are. One thing to realize is that staying in a flight suit is lucky. You could be the 1st LT on an LCS right now, hating every minute of your life. I had a smart as hell on-wing who just couldn't master the flying stuff and he's an Intel-O now because there weren't any NFO slots for him, despite me and my CO going out of our way to help him.

Oh, and if you haven't figured it out yet, surely one of your IPs and/or DHs has now read your posts and probably knows who you are. Congrats!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
…but maybe, like 1% maybe it could work, you wouldn't even try?
Brother, you have to make the 42% before you can swing for the 1%. Besides, if I had issues in the pattern I’d be pleased as shit to play Ms. Daisy and let Single-Anchor Hoke drive me around while making the same pay!

Good luck, study hard, and reflect not on a piece of fucked up paperwork, but the shocking idea that you were (and I mean this) special enough to get a second shot at any set of wings that don’t have a cutlass on them. That alone makes you special.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Are you really this stupid???

You still don't get it. You won't just be aggravating some anonymous posters on an internet site, you'll be aggravating a whole shitload of senior officers in real life if you actually try this sea lawyer bull shit. Those are the senior officers who will write your fitreps. You will be a laughing stalk among your fellow JOs in your squadron, the JOs who will be involved in establishing and spreading your reputation around your community.

Further, there is nothing more pathetic than a NFO crying about not being a pilot.
You are not going to be a pilot. Accept that, forget about being a pilot, be happy to be a NFO and STFU. Or quit as you are currently on a path of career suicide before you even really begin.

Grow the fuck up.
Not to be pedantic, but, technically, a SWO crying about not being an NFO is definitely more pathetic…

A SWO that attrited from SNA and SNFO and is whining about both would be TWICE as pathetic (but three times as funny)…so he has further to fall…