• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Finally, all I seemed to hear from my recruiter was just to meet the minimum reqirements, and the biggest part was just for the 3 officers who interview to like you and for the interview just to go well. If this is not the case, and the recruiter knows I just wanna be a pilot, why would he be so unrealisitc?

nysky

all I seemed to hear from my recruiter was just to meet the minimum reqirements,

Ha, Ha, Ha, Yea all you have to do for all branches of the military is meet the minimum basic requirements and you’re in! As shocking as this sounds your recruiter is wrong. Becoming a pilot for any branch of the military is extremely difficult. You’re competing against tons of people who want to fly just as bad as you. I know from personal experience in the WOFT process, speaking with many current army aviators, and from speaking with the head of the WOFT program that you need WAY more than the minimum requirements to get picked up for WOFT. Especially if you are a civilian. Take a look at (above) my stats on my packet and I was passed over six months ago. Also I can put you in contact with civilians and current active duty people with outstanding packets (well above the minimum standards) that were all passed over for WOFT. Yes, the board interview with the officers is part of the packet but it is not even close to the sole determining factor. It is simply a small part of a huge packet. I absolutely nailed the officer board. I was told by my board of officers that I did an "extraordinary job and I had the boards highest score" One of the officers on the board even wrote me a letter of recommendation. So I wouldn’t put any faith into what your recruiter is telling you regarding WOFT. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

cricechex

Aircav,

I am wandering, did you have anything that held you back? I mean, you sound like you had the perfect packet. Most of the people submitting, don't have the kind of packet you say you have. Did you have a waver or something? It sounds like you should have been a accepted with no problems. If you were to apply for the Marines, I am pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems getting in.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Waiver

Yea, also, can having a waiver really hurt? I had PRK surgery and it went great and everything-I have 20/15 and it was 10 months ago. My recruiter said that I should lie about it and not tell the medics about it. I on the other hand, didn't feel comfortable-I felt that once I got to the flight physical ther'd be some way for them to tell or soemthing and I just didn't want to take that kind of risk. also, the flight surgeon out of Ft. Ruckers siad it was fine as long as my vision was good and it had been 3 months. So i went in for the regular physical today and told them that I did have PRK. They took the file I gave them from the eye surgeon. They said they needed to look it over and then I would come back within 72 hrs. So basically, should I have left the eye surgery thing out? I didn't want to be stupid, but then again, I didn't want to be stupid. Recruiters seem nice and helpful, but they can really mess you up it seems sometimes.

Physicx

Banned
The Army guard is looking for pilots.If you go to baseops.com it gives you contact info.Also I heard the Army allows Lasik,is this true?

Grant

Jetjock863 said:
all I seemed to hear from my recruiter was just to meet the minimum reqirements

The recruiter doesnt care. All he cares about is filling his quotas. It doesnt make any difference to him if you wash out of the warrant officer pipeline, because even if you, you revert back to serving out the remainder of your days as an enlisted soldier.

bigspy007

How does Army aviation compare to naval aviation...I recieve an appointment to West Point and an still waiting to hear back from Navy. I was dead set of flying for navy but I an starting to consider the Army. Any help would be great.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Hey, I posted this earlier, but how does Guard flying work anyways? From what I can tell, you have to be prior enlisted to be a W.O in the guard.

nysky

I am wandering, did you have anything that held you back? I mean, you sound like you had the perfect packet. Most of the people submitting, don't have the kind of packet you say you have. Did you have a waver or something? It sounds like you should have been a accepted with no problems. If you were to apply for the Marines, I am pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems getting in.
I have Zero waivers. I have spoke with numerous people that have packets very similar to mine that were passed over as well. It is very difficult to get picked up as a civilian for WOFT right now, lots of competition. I have head that most of the civilians (no prior service) getting picked up right now have advanced degrees such as master’s degrees, and post master degree work one guy even had a PHD. As far as the Marines go that is a lock. Every single person I spoke with told me I would get picked up no problem. I'm going to give WOFT one last shot and if not then I'm going to the marines

Physicx

Banned
In the guard you usually have to be enlisted in that unit but since the war there has been a shortage so they waived it?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The army does allow LASIK, but I don't know the particulars. Better get good gouge before getting the surgery or, having gotten it, enlisting hopeing to get WOFT later.

Physicx

Banned
I know its true.I talked to a guy who is in charge of the operations in the guard/reserves.I am looking at it but I still need eye surgrey.The email and phone number is listed on baseops.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Since its on "baseops", does it seem like that would be an offer mainly for people with private licenses already?

Status
Not open for further replies.