• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Can anyone out there give me info on the WFO life (vs. flying navy)? See, I'm not totally sure I wanna wait around for another year or two before I get selected for SNA, so I'm conisdering flying army since they're pretty open right now.

also, is it true that if you go to Army OCS you can't go pilot? That you have to do basic then go to the 6 week WFO school? If so, what is your designation as a new WFO?

cricechex

Jetjock,

Check out this sight:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/Warrant.htm

It will give you a lot of good info. Unless I am mistaken, if you are a civ, you go to boot getting paid as an E5, then straight to WOCS for another 6 weeks of boot camp. After that you would begin your flight training which would take close to a year.

In the Army, you can't choose what you do as a commssioned officer. You just go where they need you. Warrant is the best way to go. Then if you want to get a commission, they won't make you retrain in another field. But being a warrant is the best thing to do because all you do is fly. No other responsibilites light the commissioned officers have. ie. paper pushy/politics. As to your question about your designation as a new WFO, I don't know that I fully understand what you are asking, but when you go to Flight school, you will be a WO1 USAR.

I am in the same boat as you. The Navy is shrinking while the Army is expanding. I don't want to stay Navy enlisted forever while waiting for the chance to fly a jet, especially when my chances of getting selected for WOFT is better than a promotion to E-4! As of now I can't even apply for STA-21 till July06 (because my CO won't sign a LOR until I have been with the command for a year) and even then, the chances are slim to none of getting in-especially the SNA route.

Hope everything works out for you and let me know what you decide.

Physicx

Banned
If you want a good deal check out the guard.You can pursue a civilian career and fly on the weekends.

nysky

I am in the same boat as you. The Navy is shrinking while the Army is expanding. I don't want to stay Navy enlisted forever while waiting for the chance to fly a jet, especially when my chances of getting selected for WOFT is better than a promotion to E-4!

This is completely False! I don’t know where you are getting your information from but WOFT is extremely competitive. The selection rate is at an all time low. Myself and three other guys I know all applied and not one of us got selected. (All college graduates all high-test scores). I had a 137 Afast, 94 Asvab, college degree, almost done with my masters, 290 APFT, and letters of recommendation from 5 aviation officers including a Lt. Colonel. The competition for WOFT is fierce, tons of people are applying. Call USAREC and ask. They will tell you. Two of the guys I know that were not selected for WOFT applied to the Marines for Aviation contracts and both were accepted. Right now if you want to be a pilot your best bet is the Marines. My six month mandatory reapply wait time is up so I am applying for WOFT one last time and if I'm not selected I'm going to the Marines on a Air contract.

cricechex

Well, I can say that my rate is overmanned at ever rank, and when the WOFT program is excepting fifty new candidates every other month out of maybe 300 at most, 17 percent of applicants get accepted. The navy didn't even advance 50 people to E4 in my rate in the last six months. So, what are the odds? True it is still very competitive to get into the WOFT program, but not nearly as tough as the Navy. Furthermore, even though civilians are eligible to apply for the program, they pick many more prior enlisted. So, I'd say my odds are better in to be accepted into the program than make rank or even get a commssion in the Navy as an SNA.

nysky

They are not taking anywhere near 50 people per board, not even close. For the December board only 11 people were selected. Both Army and Navy are very competitve when it comes to flight slots.

Furthermore, even though civilians are eligible to apply for the program, they pick many more prior enlisted.

Prior service helps, but it does not even compare to a college degree. A college degree is looked on much more highly. One of the guys I applied with had 4 years in the Marine's and a college degree and still didn't get picked up so that gives you an idea of the competition.

cricechex

First of all, read this document:

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=3287&sequence=3&from=0

In it, you will find that the Army is only taking 20 % of its pilots from the Civilian applicants. That leaves 80% for the enlisted. The chart breaks down the different percentages for each rank.

So, you must be saying that the Official Army Warrant Officer Recruiting website is putting out false information because they release the results for every board.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/Warrant.htm

If you take the time to count all of the 153A selections, you will count out 50 people. Excuse me; it is actually 70 people now. The last time I counted, it was only 50.

So, could you please post the links for where you are getting your information? I looked on the USAREC website and couldn’t find those numbers you are referring to.

nysky

My information is coming directly from Mr. Howell the head of the civilian WOFT program. 1-800-223-3735 ext. 6-0467. Also, There are no board results for the December board posted on the website you provided. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/Warrant.htm

I don’t think that the website is putting out false information at all, but what it does not tell you is the percentage of those enlisted personal have college degree's. Because of how hard it has become to get accepted for WOFT many of the civilian applicants (with college degree's) that are not selected enlist and then reapply years later from within the Army. There is no question that prior service is a bonus in you packet, but if your prior service without a college degree your chances are slim to none. Contact, CW3 Anthony Edwards
Chief, Warrant Officer Recruiting Team
I was told he handles all of the in service applicants.
As far as getting civilian applicant stats you have to request your Recruiter get on the USAREC Intranet and go to the G3 Web Site. The OCS and WOFT results are on the bottom of the page under hot items.
I'm not trying to get into an argumet with you here, we are both shooting for the same thing. Best of luck of to you.

cricechex

Does that mean that the figure you quoted (11) was only for the civilians that were selected? That is where I think I misunderstood you.

cricechex

Jetjock,

The APFT is the Army Physical Fitness Test. It includes a two-mile run, and two minutes each of sit-ups and pushups.

As far as the Complex movements section goes, the best thing is just to keep practicing. Do you have the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests book?
The ISBN is 0-7689-1029-3 It has a sample AFAST in it.

One more thing; pay close attention to the time allotted for each section. The Cyclic Orientation section kicked my butt because I was taking too much time double checking my answers.

nysky

Jetjock, as far as the complex movements go practice, practice, and practice. It is the only way to get better at it. You will have allot of questions to answer in very little time. The Afast is general is a very time dependent test. The complex movement section is more time dependent than others are. cricechex is right on; another really tricky part was the cyclic movements. The only way to get better is keep reviewing the material. I would study for a couple of months before you take the exam. Unlike other services you can only take the Afast twice and that’s it. If you fail the first time you have to wait 6 months to take it again, if you fail the second time that’s it. There is no retest ever again if you fail the exam the second time.

Grant

I heard from a friend of a friend's second-cousin's neighbor's brother that a college degree will make you a shoe-in for Army aviation as a warrant officer.

Just kidding, that came from my uncle. He's a retired Army aviator, warrant officer... This is surely outdated, though. He joined up during the Vietnam timeframe, then went National Guard after his active duty stint was over, and retired in the mid '90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.