• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Army flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVSURob

Aircav is right, it's extremely difficult to get Army aviation right now.
My packet looks almost identical to his (college degree, 137 AFAST, max points at local board, class 1A certified with no waivers, etc) and I was passed up last month for WOFT. I'm actually waiting until noon today to call my recruiter about February. I should know if I got picked up or not by the end of the day.

Later!
Rob,
Grand Rapids, MI

chickenhawk

It has been a while since I visited this web site and ran across this thread. I am a WOFT (Warrant Officer Flight Training) candidate that is now in flight school ready to finish primary. I read through all of the postings and am getting a bunch of information. I can tell you that the WOFT program is made up of prior service from all branches and plus civilian applicants with no prior service. I got in back in June of last year and selection rates were good then, I don't know about now. I do know that getting into the Navy around 2002 was next to impossible, but things may have changed now. Anyway, if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Kevin,
Ft. Rucker

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Hey ChickenHawk,

Welcome to the forum! I actually just got back from MEPS this morning from taking the AFAST. They told me i passed but nothing else yet. (i think i'll call tomorrow and try to find out). Do you remember what you got on your AFAST? Also, were you prior service or civilian? People have said that as a civilian you basically need a master's or Phd or something. I don't see how this is possible, but is it your experience that civilian applicants are that qualified? Thanks for any info!

bbell

Hello Everyone,

I have a friend that served with me in the Navy that is now a CWO1 in the Army(Black Hawk pilot). It has been nearly a year since he earned his wings and he has not flown once since! He said the Army is overmanned with pilots and is trying to get back into the Navy. Good luck to all...

chickenhawk

Jetjock863,

Congrats on passing the AFAST. I got a 127 when I took it last year sometime. Yes, I am prior service, but not all applicants are. I know of people in the flight program that were accepted without any education and now are Warrant Officers in flight school. Do well on your exams, get great letter's of reference, get your SF-86 completed, and there are two important steps that were emphasized to me. Do well on your PFT, if they have you run one, the recruiter should, run your guts out, the better your PFT score, the better your chances. Also, part of the application process you will get interviewed by a panel of three or more officers. Dress as you would if you were applying for a job with a prestigious corporation. Your interviewer, probably a Captain, render him the proper respect, you know the sir or maam and stand at attention when you report. The interview is what wraps the whole process up. The interview board makes a determination on what they think of you and how best you would serve the Army. Go in there with confidence and you will do fine. Education definitely helps, the Army likes Warrant's that already have their education. I only know of one warrant that has a Master's, most of us already have a bachelors though. Trying to think of anything else.... post any other questions that you may have.

Kevin

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Well, my recruiter told me that I won't be taking a PFT until I swear in with a warrant contract. He siad I would need to pass the APFT before I went to basic but that would be it. Maybe the rules have changed or something. He definately did epmhasize the interview though. He seemed to emphasize that over everything else. As far as recs go, I'll have two professors, the dean of students, two internship supervisors, and a navy helo pilot/fbi agent. I think that will be a good part of the app. Its nice to be at this point because since i'm done with the test, it feels like its pretty much out of my hands-i just have to interview well and finish up the flight physical.

cricechex

Chickenhawk,

Were you Army enlisted or from another branch? Do you know anyone that went Navy to Army? I am trying to get my command to let me apply for the program but when I put in the request chit the Command career counselor turned it down because she knows nothing about the program and thinks I don't qualify for it. I need some guidance on this problem.

chickenhawk

I definitely took the PFT before I went to the board. When I went to my interview there was a candidate that was applying for OCS. A couple days later they called that OCS candidate's recruiter back and said that her app was on hold until she completed a PFT. So the point of the story, get with your recruiter and he will have to administer one to you. My recruiter had to go online and get the checklist of required items for WOFT applicants, it is a large list, but everything must be complete. I was consistently working with my recruiter for about 11 months to get the process complete, but I ran into some snags along the way. I don't buy what your recruiter is telling you, I just want you to have your ducks in a row when you go for the board. To answers cricechex question, I personally know of three former Marines and one Navy pilot that transistioned over from active duty to fly for the Army. Your best bet is to contact an Army recruiter and get the paperwork started with them. I wouldn't take the career counselors word on anything, pursue the option with the Army, get the paperwork done with them, then start the process with the Navy to start your transistion. I know that my recruiter also put in an active duty Navy that transitioned over to the Army. Hope that helps, be persistant, it will pay off. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

cricechex

Chickenhawk,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that I must run a request chit through my command before I can apply for the program. If I were accepted, there is paperwork my command would have to fill out and they wouldn't be too happy to find out that I went behind their backs in something like this. Also, according to the requirements, I need a LOR from an officer in my chain of command. That would but me right back into the predictament of the request chit. Could you ask your former Navy friend how he did it?
v/r
chex

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Conditional Release

I'm new here, but I do know that if you're planning to try for a program in another service that will create a contract that has an effective date overlapping your EAS, you need to definitely go up your chain to get a Conditional Release signed by either your CO or station commander (base CG, etc.), not sure how high it's gotta go.
If the program has a start date after your EAS and you'll just be in the IRR, no Conditional Release necessary, but you've still gotta notify admin during your out-processing so they can append your DD214.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May day has if right, if anyone cares about my input.

chickenhawk

cricechex,

I just talked to my buddy that was active duty in the Marines, Dept of the Navy, so I guess it is close enough! :) Anyway, I asked him what he did and he informed me that he completed the entire package for WOFT and had the approval from the Army before he informed his chain of command. It took him around three months to get a release because his commanding officer wouldn't sign it and he had to request mass two or three times. So, it can be done. My suggestion is get the ball rolling yourself and get the app in and get yourself accepted to the program. I was in the Marines, but I am sure the Navy is the same way, the career manager isn't going to be to motivated to put someone out of their respective service, their job is to retain people. Applying for WOFT is a step worth taking, I can't imagine doing anything else now that I know how to fly on my own. Also, I saw a posting on this website about how the Navy is helping people tranisition over to the Army, don't know if that applies to WOFT or not. Hope that helps!

cricechex

Wow,
he must have burned every bridge on his way out of his command. LOL I can see it now. But I would be smiling all the way out the door regardless. Thanks for the info. I'll be going to a briefing at Ft Eustis on 28March and get all the details I need in order to put together the packet.

Also, if he didn't get his command involved with the application process, where did he get his LOR's from. I have a good LOR coming from an Army CWO5. I am also pretty sure I could get one from my Div O (O-4). Is that enough?

From the W.O. recruiting website:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/Warrant.htm

___ Company Commander letter of recommendation (or applicable UCMJ authority, dated within 12 months)

___ Battalion Commander letter of recommendation (or applicable UCMJ authority, dated within 12 months)

If I don't get my command involved, How do I fulfill these requirements?

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
cricechex said:
Chickenhawk,

Were you Army enlisted or from another branch? Do you know anyone that went Navy to Army? I am trying to get my command to let me apply for the program but when I put in the request chit the Command career counselor turned it down because she knows nothing about the program and thinks I don't qualify for it. I need some guidance on this problem.
Cricechex,

I went fro the Navy to the Army in 2002. All that's required form your chain of command is 1: a conditional release, which states if you get picked for WOC, the Navy agrees to sidcharge you, regardles of your adso, etc. Some C.O.s may be reluctant to sign this. I know my CO gave it a thumbs up, but the detailer denied it, but the community manager gave it final approval.

Otherwise, nobody in your command has the right, or authority to determine if you're qualified, short of refrusing to sign a release or give you a favoroable letter of recommendation. Also remember, when it comes to administration, you're (we) under the impression that we're doing an inter-service transfer. As far as the navy's concerned, you're separting and going to back home to work the farm. Make sure your DD-214 is meticulously reviewed. Every school, every ribbon, award, duty station, addional NECs, etc. They keep your service record, so your DD-214 is the only record of what you did in the Navy. I had to sit over his shoulder and make the lazy YN retype it 5 times.

Mike-
MH-47E Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.