• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

National OPO

@National OPO , does this statement hold true for prior service applicants? I am USAF 4 years prior enlisted and turn 28 in May. Am I still eligible for Pilot/NFO?

Thank you.
Per the Program Authorization for Pilot - PA 106 (http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm), prior service is taken into account when figuring out age limits. Per the PA, for applicants with prior active duty service, waivers may be granted on a month-for-month basis up to 24 months (from 27 yrs old) for Pilot applicants and up to 48 months (from 27) for NFO applicants. So with your 4-yrs of active duty time, you should be cleared up to age 29 for Pilot and 31 for NFO - as long as you could get through OCS and get commissioned by those age limits - which it sounds like you could. NRC would just look to ship you this summer or early fall (assuming you get selected) to OCS to give you the max time to get through OCS and get commissioned well before turning 29.

National OPO

@National OPO , does this statement hold true for prior service applicants? I am USAF 4 years prior enlisted and turn 28 in May. Am I still eligible for Pilot/NFO?

Thank you.
Per the Program Authorization for Pilot - PA 106 (http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm), prior service is taken into account when figuring out age limits. Per the PA, for applicants with prior active duty service, waivers may be granted on a month-for-month basis up to 24 months (from 27 yrs old) for Pilot applicants and up to 48 months (from 27) for NFO applicants. So with your 4-yrs of active duty time, you should be cleared up to age 29 for Pilot and 31 for NFO - as long as you could get through OCS and get commissioned by those age limits - which it sounds like you could. NRC would just look to ship you this summer or early fall (assuming you get selected) to OCS to give you the max time to get through OCS and get commissioned well before turning 29.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
For All,
The next NRC Pilot/NFO OCS board will occur NLT 25May14 - if not sooner depending on application volume on hand. As the Pilot/NFO (and SWO) boards are rolling board, we hold them at least every 90 days - if not sooner. For those of you asking about age waivers, they are typically NOT entertained by the aviation community as NRC typically receives sufficient numbers of quality applicants for the aviation community to not desire to entertain age waivers. NRC does scrutinize age on every application that comes in and if there is even a slight chance of an applicant being able to get to OCS and get commissioned by the age limits, then we will normally give them the benefit of the doubt and try to squeeze them in. If clearly not able to get to OCS and get commissioned before reaching the established age limits, then the application will be rejected. Flying time does help since able to demonstrate knowledge and experience with flying. And with a 90% selection rate over the last few Pilot/NFO boards, applicants that have met even the minimum eligibility requirements (Physically qualified for commissioning, ASTB-E scores for OAR, AQR, PFAR/FOFAR, etc) have had a very high selection rate. So now is a GREAT time to be applying for Navy Pilot or NFO through OCS. Just realize that EVERY Pilot & NFO shippers gets a NAMI-flight physical upon arrival at OCS to confirm physically qualified for Pilot and/or NFO. And if found Not physically qualified, could be offered the chance to redesignate into another officer community such as Surface Warfare or opt to Drop On Request (DOR). So although perhaps shipping to OCS as a Pilot or NFO, nothing is confirmed until you get cleared through your OCS flight physical for Pilot/NFO. OHARP is the officer version of HARP duty, in which newly commissioned officers can request to be sent back to their home while enroute to flight school in Pensacola, FL and work with a local recruiter for that short time period (usually 30-60 days in length but can be longer depending on the extent of backlog at flight school) while awaiting the start of flight school. It is a great way to help officer recruiting efforts back in your home town while also saving up some leave since "working" vice actually being on leave. Hope this answers some questions.

Thank you for this, extremely informative!

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
so after commissioning are we given a date to report to flight school immediately or is that what we are waiting for during OHARPing? Also, are commissioned officers an O-1 during OHARP or just when you start flight school?

You are an O-1 (Ensign) the moment you are commissioned at graduation.

National OPO

so after commissioning are we given a date to report to flight school immediately or is that what we are waiting for during OHARPing? Also, are commissioned officers an O-1 during OHARP or just when you start flight school?
It all depends on the backlog of students at flight school. If no or minimal backlog, then you might be ordered from OCS straight to Pensacola to immediately start flight school. Or if there is a backlog, you could be provided the opportunity to take some either as leave or OHAPR back home enroute to Pensacola - it all depends. But OHAPR is something that you can ask about once you get about half-way through OCS as the staff and you start taking follow-on orders to Pensacola as something that you would consider or like to be considered for if an option.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
For All,
The next NRC Pilot/NFO OCS board will occur NLT 25May14 - if not sooner depending on application volume on hand. As the Pilot/NFO (and SWO) boards are rolling board, we hold them at least every 90 days - if not sooner. For those of you asking about age waivers, they are typically NOT entertained by the aviation community as NRC typically receives sufficient numbers of quality applicants for the aviation community to not desire to entertain age waivers. NRC does scrutinize age on every application that comes in and if there is even a slight chance of an applicant being able to get to OCS and get commissioned by the age limits, then we will normally give them the benefit of the doubt and try to squeeze them in. If clearly not able to get to OCS and get commissioned before reaching the established age limits, then the application will be rejected. Flying time does help since able to demonstrate knowledge and experience with flying. And with a 90% selection rate over the last few Pilot/NFO boards, applicants that have met even the minimum eligibility requirements (Physically qualified for commissioning, ASTB-E scores for OAR, AQR, PFAR/FOFAR, etc) have had a very high selection rate. So now is a GREAT time to be applying for Navy Pilot or NFO through OCS. Just realize that EVERY Pilot & NFO shippers gets a NAMI-flight physical upon arrival at OCS to confirm physically qualified for Pilot and/or NFO. And if found Not physically qualified, could be offered the chance to redesignate into another officer community such as Surface Warfare or opt to Drop On Request (DOR). So although perhaps shipping to OCS as a Pilot or NFO, nothing is confirmed until you get cleared through your OCS flight physical for Pilot/NFO. OHARP is the officer version of HARP duty, in which newly commissioned officers can request to be sent back to their home while enroute to flight school in Pensacola, FL and work with a local recruiter for that short time period (usually 30-60 days in length but can be longer depending on the extent of backlog at flight school) while awaiting the start of flight school. It is a great way to help officer recruiting efforts back in your home town while also saving up some leave since "working" vice actually being on leave. Hope this answers some questions.
Thank you, sir!

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot

@National OPO thank you for that thorough and informative answer.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For All,
The next NRC Pilot/NFO OCS board will occur NLT 25May14 - if not sooner depending on application volume on hand. As the Pilot/NFO (and SWO) boards are rolling board, we hold them at least every 90 days - if not sooner.
This post in it's entirety, is the best & straightest, up-to-date dope you will get on this site. Read thoroughly, and it should answer many of the questions you have asked, or plan to ask.. Very welcome post National OPO!:)
BzB

cb812

SNA
Just got back from recruiter, had to go in for fingerprints in order to get a jump start on background investigation. Processor mentioned that all apps sit at PM's desk prior to board. PM will review apps and send back to OR if they have errors. If they are clean, they will stay at PM's desk with the status of "At PM for Review" until the board meets (even though they have technically already been reviewed). Once board is ready, the apps will be sent to board and will change to "At Board" status. If you have your app into PM and it has not been sent back to OR, you're good to go for next board.

National OPO

Just got back from recruiter, had to go in for fingerprints in order to get a jump start on background investigation. Processor mentioned that all apps sit at PM's desk prior to board. PM will review apps and send back to OR if they have errors. If they are clean, they will stay at PM's desk with the status of "At PM for Review" until the board meets (even though they have technically already been reviewed). Once board is ready, the apps will be sent to board and will change to "At Board" status. If you have your app into PM and it has not been sent back to OR, you're good to go for next board.

That is correct. Once the board get ready to "start", the status will be changed to reflect that your application has been sent to the board for official review and adjudication. Until then, being in this "At PM for Review" status is like "limbo". Your application has been reviewed and is simply waiting for the next board. The NRD, Processor, and Recruiter would have been notified if there was anything missing from your application by now. The fact that everything is "clean" indicates that it is ready for the next board.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
Just realize that EVERY Pilot & NFO shippers gets a NAMI-flight physical upon arrival at OCS to confirm physically qualified for Pilot and/or NFO. And if found Not physically qualified, could be offered the chance to redesignate into another officer community such as Surface Warfare or opt to Drop On Request (DOR). So although perhaps shipping to OCS as a Pilot or NFO, nothing is confirmed until you get cleared through your OCS flight physical for Pilot/NFO. OHARP is the officer version of HARP duty, in which newly commissioned officers can request to be sent back to their home while enroute to flight school in Pensacola, FL and work with a local recruiter for that short time period (usually 30-60 days in length but can be longer depending on the extent of backlog at flight school) while awaiting the start of flight school. It is a great way to help officer recruiting efforts back in your home town while also saving up some leave since "working" vice actually being on leave. Hope this answers some questions.
Aahh the infamous NAMI Whammy, bite a few of my classmates. I think about 15 of them. Currently when you are NPQed for flight by NAMI then they automatically build you a package for SWO, if magically the SWO community refuses you than you can look at other designators. Some of my classmates were told "SWO or go." Actually all the guys that were NPQed ended going SWO except for one. He got AMDO because he was a prior and new some O-5s that called in some favors.

Regarding OHARP, all the SNAs in my class were given 6 weeks of OHARP automatically since there is a huge SNA backlog right now. The SNFO on the other hand were given 2 weeks before they had to report to Pensacola with no OHARP.

cb812

SNA
Aahh the infamous NAMI Whammy, bite a few of my classmates. I think about 15 of them. Currently when you are NPQed for flight by NAMI then they automatically build you a package for SWO, if magically the SWO community refuses you than you can look at other designators. Some of my classmates were told "SWO or go."

I just wish NAMI could clear you before you get all of the way through OCS... All that work and you still have a chance to get DQ'ed.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Aahh the infamous NAMI Whammy, bite a few of my classmates. I think about 15 of them. Currently when you are NPQed for flight by NAMI then they automatically build you a package for SWO, if magically the SWO community refuses you than you can look at other designators. Some of my classmates were told "SWO or go." Actually all the guys that were NPQed ended going SWO except for one. He got AMDO because he was a prior and new some O-5s that called in some favors.

Regarding OHARP, all the SNAs in my class were given 6 weeks of OHARP automatically since there is a huge SNA backlog right now. The SNFO on the other hand were given 2 weeks before they had to report to Pensacola with no OHARP.
How do they not clear at least NFO? I figure maybe it's something other than vision?

Mozart

Confirmed that my packet has been "At PM for review" since Mar 18th, so looks like all is good, just this long as heck waiting period. Im SO bored!!

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Confirmed that my packet has been "At PM for review" since Mar 18th, so looks like all is good, just this long as heck waiting period. Im SO bored!!
Plenty of ocs gouge to memorize as I'm finding out now. Will keep you plenty busy.