• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Just for an FYI scores shouldn't be attained to just get picked up for SNA. They are pretty good predictors as I have a few friends that were selected with lower OAR/ASTB scores that struggled with the academics in OCS and even IFS. When I did took the ASTB, it was enough for me to "get picked up" rather I retook so that I could actually know and understand the material.

Kees

SNA Select
Just for an FYI scores shouldn't be attained to just get picked up for SNA. They are pretty good predictors as I have a few friends that were selected with lower OAR/ASTB scores that struggled with the academics in OCS and even IFS. When I did took the ASTB, it was enough for me to "get picked up" rather I retook so that I could actually know and understand the material.

I'm with you there! My scores stunk because I got a little too eager to apply and didn't take the time needed to prepare for the ASTB.

I am well aware that the academics in OCS and IFS/API are much more complex than anything on the ASTB. I'm spending my time now getting in shape and brushing up on my math and physics in hopes of improving my chances for success when selected. I couldn't stomach getting selected for SNA only to wash out on account of being unprepared.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
That and its is a fire hose of information in an extremely short about of time. API is 4 weeks of academics in 6 subjects. So you have 2 exams every week for 3 (no exams in the first week). OCS academics I didn't find super difficult rather you have classes, need to study but of course OCS adds other things to you schedule (i.e. drill, watch).

cb812

SNA
Last board, results came out about a week after board correct? So we are looking at mid-May till results?

cb812

SNA
I sure hope that its early May, or better yet, April. Two months from Pro Rec to OCS is cutting it close. Sounds like its possible but it will be tight.

National OPO

For All,
The next NRC Pilot/NFO OCS board will occur NLT 25May14 - if not sooner depending on application volume on hand. As the Pilot/NFO (and SWO) boards are rolling board, we hold them at least every 90 days - if not sooner. For those of you asking about age waivers, they are typically NOT entertained by the aviation community as NRC typically receives sufficient numbers of quality applicants for the aviation community to not desire to entertain age waivers. NRC does scrutinize age on every application that comes in and if there is even a slight chance of an applicant being able to get to OCS and get commissioned by the age limits, then we will normally give them the benefit of the doubt and try to squeeze them in. If clearly not able to get to OCS and get commissioned before reaching the established age limits, then the application will be rejected. Flying time does help since able to demonstrate knowledge and experience with flying. And with a 90% selection rate over the last few Pilot/NFO boards, applicants that have met even the minimum eligibility requirements (Physically qualified for commissioning, ASTB-E scores for OAR, AQR, PFAR/FOFAR, etc) have had a very high selection rate. So now is a GREAT time to be applying for Navy Pilot or NFO through OCS. Just realize that EVERY Pilot & NFO shippers gets a NAMI-flight physical upon arrival at OCS to confirm physically qualified for Pilot and/or NFO. And if found Not physically qualified, could be offered the chance to redesignate into another officer community such as Surface Warfare or opt to Drop On Request (DOR). So although perhaps shipping to OCS as a Pilot or NFO, nothing is confirmed until you get cleared through your OCS flight physical for Pilot/NFO. OHARP is the officer version of HARP duty, in which newly commissioned officers can request to be sent back to their home while enroute to flight school in Pensacola, FL and work with a local recruiter for that short time period (usually 30-60 days in length but can be longer depending on the extent of backlog at flight school) while awaiting the start of flight school. It is a great way to help officer recruiting efforts back in your home town while also saving up some leave since "working" vice actually being on leave. Hope this answers some questions.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
For those of you asking about age waivers, they are typically NOT entertained by the aviation community as NRC typically receives sufficient numbers of quality applicants for the aviation community to not desire to entertain age waivers. NRC does scrutinize age on every application that comes in and if there is even a slight chance of an applicant being able to get to OCS and get commissioned by the age limits, then we will normally give them the benefit of the doubt and try to squeeze them in. If clearly not able to get to OCS and get commissioned before reaching the established age limits, then the application will be rejected.

@National OPO , does this statement hold true for prior service applicants? I am USAF 4 years prior enlisted and turn 28 in May. Am I still eligible for Pilot/NFO?

Thank you.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
so after commissioning are we given a date to report to flight school immediately or is that what we are waiting for during OHARPing? Also, are commissioned officers an O-1 during OHARP or just when you start flight school?