• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2012

KingsburyK

API Warrior
Good news here as well. Just got off the horn with my recruiter, and was told that I have a tentative OCS date of September 23. My FS letter is in the works, and I should have it in a couple of days!

Got an email yesterday just telling me to be patient. Didn't get a tentative ocs date or anything but just basically telling me that as soon as they know something they'll let me know regarding my final select letter. Glad to see other people getti some good news. Hopefully I get a similar call today or within the week or next.

DCrow

SNA Primary
Just bought a Discover Flight lesson through groupon. From those of you that have taken flight lessons before or fly already, any suggestions on things to ask to do while I'm up there to get the most out of it? That is, anything short of barrel rolls, I don't think a 2003 Cessna will handle that too well....though the alternates would have an extra SNA spot.

Sparticusjmr

FS SNA Newport 21 Oct
Just bought a Discover Flight lesson through groupon. From those of you that have taken flight lessons before or fly already, any suggestions on things to ask to do while I'm up there to get the most out of it? That is, anything short of barrel rolls, I don't think a 2003 Cessna will handle that too well....though the alternates would have an extra SNA spot.

Haha. Oh the list of things. Although different flight schools have different rules, ask if you can do some stalls or maybe even a spin. That should give you a good feeling of if you will like the more hectic part of flying. If they won't do that then at least get some steep turns out of it. As for questions, I know this is very general, but I would just ask "why?" There are a lot of procedures/methods that seem weird but totally make sense once you get the "why" behind it. Other than that just have fun catching the flying bug!

KingsburyK

API Warrior

For your first flight, the most import thing is to just enjoy the experience man. There will be plenty of time down the road for the more advanced stuff.

During my first lesson, my CFI and I just worked on basic stuff such as taxiing, controlling airspeed / altitude, trim, and turns.

Mounta1nBik3r

I second what KingsburyK said, just enjoy it! If you really want to get a head start on IFS, just work on the basics, such as power management, trim, flying straight and level, coordinated shallow turns, etc. That should give you at least an idea of how the airplane should feel during normal flight. The more you understand and master the basics, the easier the "exciting" stuff will be later on.

Sparticusjmr

FS SNA Newport 21 Oct
I second what KingsburyK said, just enjoy it! If you really want to get a head start on IFS, just work on the basics, such as power management, trim, flying straight and level, coordinated shallow turns, etc. That should give you at least an idea of how the airplane should feel during normal flight. The more you understand and master the basics, the easier the "exciting" stuff will be later on.

I guess I'm the only one that enjoys stalls, spins, and steep turns. Lol.

bluemarlin04

man everyone is talking about flying and stuff, makes me feel like I am a little behind the curve. I havent even sat inside a cockpit before. In fact other than a few helo rides on deployment and commercial air travel that is pretty much the extent of my flying experience.

Mounta1nBik3r

Don't think you'll have a problem, they start everybody out at the beginning again. I've heard that the only thing a civilian pilot's license will help with is the flying sense/feel.

Rev

pilot
man everyone is talking about flying and stuff, makes me feel like I am a little behind the curve. I havent even sat inside a cockpit before. In fact other than a few helo rides on deployment and commercial air travel that is pretty much the extent of my flying experience.

I don't think it really matters at all all as far as how we will do in flight training. IFS will pretty much put us all I'm the same playing field.

DCrow

SNA Primary
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll play it like a first date, ask a lot of questions about "her" and see how far "she" will let me go. ;)

Oh, and that first flight came sooner than expected. Lucked out and had a family friend offer to take me up in a 1946 Aeronca Champ. I think this flying business is going to be a long-term thing.