• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

exNavyOffRec

I am sure on the APSR that I filled out 1. SNA 2. SNFO 3. SWO, but as far as my pro recommendation, my recruiter told me I was picked up for all three a couple weeks ago. Then, as I awaited my FS this week, he called me and told me I was final selected for NFO and that his boss said there were no more SNA slots available. He tried to do what he could, but he said the best thing to do is work hard and maybe a slot will open up at OCS.

Either there was something that made you NPQ for SNA or you weren't actually selected, or they switched your choices before they went in, either way them saying there are no more SNA slots is BS as they keep calling for more, which leads me to the other thing they told you about switching at OCS, search this forum and see how that has worked out for people.

I would say you need to email your recruiter ask him again to see about getting you a SNA spot and you still don't understand how they could not have any SNA spots if you were pro rec'd for SNA, this way you have him telling you via email the reason, email = proof, that way if you did get the shaft you have one more thing to plead you case down the road.

MK91

Either there was something that made you NPQ for SNA or you weren't actually selected, or they switched your choices before they went in, either way them saying there are no more SNA slots is BS as they keep calling for more, which leads me to the other thing they told you about switching at OCS, search this forum and see how that has worked out for people.

I would say you need to email your recruiter ask him again to see about getting you a SNA spot and you still don't understand how they could not have any SNA spots if you were pro rec'd for SNA, this way you have him telling you via email the reason, email = proof, that way if you did get the shaft you have one more thing to plead you case down the road.

That's odd. My recruiter told me that I get to choose. I was Pro-req'd for SNA, Intel, & SNFO. I'm actually still waiting to go to MEPS to see if my anthropometric measurements disqualify me from SNA yet.

exNavyOffRec

That's odd. My recruiter told me that I get to choose. I was Pro-req'd for SNA, Intel, & SNFO. I'm actually still waiting to go to MEPS to see if my anthropometric measurements disqualify me from SNA yet.

MEPS doesn't do measurements, the OR does, and they would have already been submitted as they are part of your kit, MEPS has nothing to do with determining if you fit in an aircraft or not.

MK91

MEPS doesn't do measurements, the OR does, and they would have already been submitted as they are part of your kit, MEPS has nothing to do with determining if you fit in an aircraft or not.

So if I didn't fit, would they have not given me a pro-req?

Matt Ross

Hi,

I was pro-rec'd for SNA on March 4th, 2013. Because I was not PQ'd before my package submission my recruiter had to submit my medical documents for review.
Several weeks ago I was told that the MEPS doctor did not approve my documents, so I needed to get letters from my doctor saying that I am in good health in order to move forward.

Since then I got letters from 4 different doctors saying that I am in perfect condition! But I just got word yesterday that i have been Permanently DQ'd based on my past medical history (minor surgeries from which I have fully recovered). My recruiter is now sending it to N3M for a 'Courtesy Review'. I am not sure what that means....The MEPS doctor won't even give me a chance to see me in person for a real physical. I am in top physical condition and if I get a chance for a physical so they can see me in person I know I will pass. Every doctor I have been to is amazed they aren't letting me through this medical process.

What is going to happen? am I not going to go to OCS because i have been perm DQ'd??

What should I do???? I'm stuck in limbo because I am about to leave my job but have not gotten my FS because I can't get through this medical process!!!

Thanks,

Matt

my stats:
7/7/8 58 3.05 GPA SNA/NFO/SEAL

-23 years old
-Class of 2011 Chico State University, Management Information Systems
-TERP 10 SAP Certification
-High School / College Baseball 6 years
-5 LORs from teachers, past employers
-Currently an Information Systems Engineer at SAP , 1 year
-Many volunteer / community service projects

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
I was pro-rec'd for SNA on March 4th, 2013. Because I was not PQ'd before my package submission my recruiter had to submit my medical documents for review.
Several weeks ago I was told that the MEPS doctor did not approve my documents, so I needed to get letters from my doctor saying that I am in good health in order to move forward.

Since then I got letters from 4 different doctors saying that I am in perfect condition! But I just got word yesterday that i have been Permanently DQ'd based on my past medical history (minor surgeries from which I have fully recovered). My recruiter is now sending it to N3M for a 'Courtesy Review'. I am not sure what that means....The MEPS doctor won't even give me a chance to see me in person for a real physical. I am in top physical condition and if I get a chance for a physical so they can see me in person I know I will pass. Every doctor I have been to is amazed they aren't letting me through this medical process.

What kind of surgeries were they?

Doctor's saying you came out fine isn't what they're looking for - they're looking at what surgeries you had and what their outcomes were (as well as how long ago they were).

And was it MEPS that DQ'd you? Navy N3M has the final say in whether you can go to OCS (and Navy NAMI handles flight physicals, so it's another hurdle for you, but you don't get seen by them until after you are in), not MEPS.

The courtesy review is for Navy N3M to review your documents and to give MEPS the go or no-go on seeing you for a physical. Then they'll review MEPS' findings and decide if you are PQ or NPQ for going to OCS.

Matt Ross

I had a minor chest procedure(ribs) with a couple rhinoplastys. Those were in 1999, 2003 and 2005. All records state that the outcomes were successful and that I fully recovered. The letters I have were from the doctors that were responsible for the operations.

What I think scared the doctor at MEPS is that I sent in medical records totaling 88 pages. In hindsight I think i should have sent what was necessary and relevant, because a lot of it has nothing to do with the issues. I have no idea if they actually read through all of it.

Yes it was MEPS that DQ'd me, they first asked for more information and when I said I gave them all the info I had plus the letters from the doctors they Perm DQ'd me. I went to another doctor last friday and he did a full physical on all the issues that came from the MEPS review. He wrote another letter and my Recruiter sent it to N3M this morning. It seems like there is nothing I can do to convince the MEPS doctor no matter how many private doctors I see on my own nor how good of shape I am in. I feel that they should at least give me one real physical before they close the door on me.

How does N3M operate? are they strict or do they give people the benefit of the doubt?

If I do not get in for SNA I would reapply for SPECWAR, but SNA is my first choice and lifelong dream.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
What were the surgeries on the ribs and the rhinoplasties for?

Having successful outcomes isn't necessarily going to fix it - what they were for (the symptoms) and any follow up medication/treatments could also disqualify you. The fact you had 3 of them (especially if they were all done for related things) may be a red flag.

MEPS administers your physical, and N3M reviews your records and determines if you are PQ, NPQ, or PQ with a waiver. So in some areas, N3M can be less strict, but in others N3M can be more stringent (requirements for commissioning are more strict than for enlistment).

What's likely happening is that MEPS sees an issue with your records and doesn't think you'll get PQ'd by them so your OR is sending the records directly to N3M, who will do a courtesy review. If they think you warrant a physical, they'll say so and then you'll get your physical done at MEPS before N3M reviews the findings for a final PQ/NPQ/Waiver determination.

Matt Ross

I broke my nose when I was 10 and had 2 reconstructive surgeries when i was 10 and 13. I had the nuss procedure on my chest/ribs when I was 15. There were no complications or any follow up medications/treatments.
That was 9 years ago...

I was Perm DQ'd on my 24th birthday last thursday :( but I didnt find out until yesterday.

I really appreciate the info Calculon,. I guess its in N3M's hands now. Hopefully I get my chance.

if its any consolation here are my physical stats so someone out there knows

6'2" 170lbs

Bench Press: Set of 5+ reps - 315lbs, 325lbs, 330lbs, Max - 350+
110 pushups in 2 minutes
105 situps in 2 minutes
25 pull ups consistently, max 34 pull ups
1.5 mile in 9 minutes 8 seconds
500 meter breaststroke in 10 minutes 17 seconds (have not attempted in freestyle yet)

Body fat percentage: little under 5 %

MasterBates

Do you still have the metal bar from the Nuss procedure in you? Metal inside the chest cavity, while I am not looking in the NOMI waiver manual, is probably going to be bad juju for being PQ for any military service.. Not just aviation.

exNavyOffRec

I had a minor chest procedure(ribs) with a couple rhinoplastys. Those were in 1999, 2003 and 2005. All records state that the outcomes were successful and that I fully recovered. The letters I have were from the doctors that were responsible for the operations.

What I think scared the doctor at MEPS is that I sent in medical records totaling 88 pages. In hindsight I think i should have sent what was necessary and relevant, because a lot of it has nothing to do with the issues. I have no idea if they actually read through all of it.

Yes it was MEPS that DQ'd me, they first asked for more information and when I said I gave them all the info I had plus the letters from the doctors they Perm DQ'd me. I went to another doctor last friday and he did a full physical on all the issues that came from the MEPS review. He wrote another letter and my Recruiter sent it to N3M this morning. It seems like there is nothing I can do to convince the MEPS doctor no matter how many private doctors I see on my own nor how good of shape I am in. I feel that they should at least give me one real physical before they close the door on me.

How does N3M operate? are they strict or do they give people the benefit of the doubt?

If I do not get in for SNA I would reapply for SPECWAR, but SNA is my first choice and lifelong dream.

Calculon is correct, N3M can force MEPS to give a physical what N3M will say is "continued processing is warranted" or "continued processing is not warranted" then after the physical N3M will make the final call.

In general SPECWAR is the most strict designator (medically)

Matt Ross

Do you still have the metal bar from the Nuss procedure in you? Metal inside the chest cavity, while I am not looking in the NOMI waiver manual, is probably going to be bad juju for being PQ for any military service.. Not just aviation.

No sir I had it in for a couple years then it was removed

AirGuy

I broke my nose when I was 10 and had 2 reconstructive surgeries when i was 10 and 13. I had the nuss procedure on my chest/ribs when I was 15. There were no complications or any follow up medications/treatments.
That was 9 years ago...

I was Perm DQ'd on my 24th birthday last thursday :( but I didnt find out until yesterday.

I really appreciate the info Calculon,. I guess its in N3M's hands now. Hopefully I get my chance.

if its any consolation here are my physical stats so someone out there knows

6'2" 170lbs

Bench Press: Set of 5+ reps - 315lbs, 325lbs, 330lbs, Max - 350+
110 pushups in 2 minutes
105 situps in 2 minutes
25 pull ups consistently, max 34 pull ups
1.5 mile in 9 minutes 8 seconds
500 meter breaststroke in 10 minutes 17 seconds (have not attempted in freestyle yet)

Body fat percentage: little under 5 %
Wow....that's is amazing. You must be in extremely good physical shape? Any recommendations on how to get to your level?

Matt Ross

Wow....that's is amazing. You must be in extremely good physical shape? Any recommendations on how to get to your level?

Hey thanks,

When I was 14 and a sophmore in high school I was only 5' 10 137lbs, I was not really big or strong. I was fortunate to have access to a gym so I started going there every day. I took some protein supplements when I was younger for weight gain but nowadays I just eat the right foods. You do not need illegal substances are a ton of supplements to become really physically fit. I met a lot of people in college who took unnecessary/harmful substances to supplement their workouts. I think they just wanted the look of being strong instead of being purely fit.

When I say every day I mean every single day (even on your off days do some type of stretching so you prevent injuries). Try to become a little stronger or faster every time you do a workout. Push yourself!! When I do a particular exercise I have to hit my goal of repetitions with good form before I move on to higher weight.

Form is everything, it teaches your body the correct motion of the workout and that is how you get stronger. Start off with light weight until you get the form down. Once your form is perfect and burned into your mind your strength will start to show. Don't be disappointed if your body does not grow or reflect your workouts - that takes time but it will happen just do not quit. Never ever quit!

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Hey thanks,

When I was 14 and a sophmore in high school I was only 5' 10 137lbs, I was not really big or strong. I was fortunate to have access to a gym so I started going there every day. I took some protein supplements when I was younger for weight gain but nowadays I just eat the right foods. You do not need illegal substances are a ton of supplements to become really physically fit. I met a lot of people in college who took unnecessary/harmful substances to supplement their workouts. I think they just wanted the look of being strong instead of being purely fit.

When I say every day I mean every single day (even on your off days do some type of stretching so you prevent injuries). Try to become a little stronger or faster every time you do a workout. Push yourself!! When I do a particular exercise I have to hit my goal of repetitions with good form before I move on to higher weight.

Form is everything, it teaches your body the correct motion of the workout and that is how you get stronger. Start off with light weight until you get the form down. Once your form is perfect and burned into your mind your strength will start to show. Don't be disappointed if your body does not grow or reflect your workouts - that takes time but it will happen just do not quit. Never ever quit!

Story of us Crossfitters Matt. Glad to see some more of us fitness-gurus up here! I am a Crossfit Lvl. 1 Certified Trainer myself. My story begins when I was a first year cadet in Air Force ROTC.... 250 lbs, 5' 8.5" and 38% body fat. Since I was booted from the program for not adhering to the fitness requirements, I am now 210... standing at 19.75% body fat. Its been a hell of a long road, but i'm SO glad that I found Crossfit, because it is what saved my life.