• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

AirGuy

Hey thanks,

When I was 14 and a sophmore in high school I was only 5' 10 137lbs, I was not really big or strong. I was fortunate to have access to a gym so I started going there every day. I took some protein supplements when I was younger for weight gain but nowadays I just eat the right foods. You do not need illegal substances are a ton of supplements to become really physically fit. I met a lot of people in college who took unnecessary/harmful substances to supplement their workouts. I think they just wanted the look of being strong instead of being purely fit.

When I say every day I mean every single day (even on your off days do some type of stretching so you prevent injuries). Try to become a little stronger or faster every time you do a workout. Push yourself!! When I do a particular exercise I have to hit my goal of repetitions with good form before I move on to higher weight.

Form is everything, it teaches your body the correct motion of the workout and that is how you get stronger. Start off with light weight until you get the form down. Once your form is perfect and burned into your mind your strength will start to show. Don't be disappointed if your body does not grow or reflect your workouts - that takes time but it will happen just do not quit. Never ever quit!
Story of us Crossfitters Matt. Glad to see some more of us fitness-gurus up here! I am a Crossfit Lvl. 1 Certified Trainer myself. My story begins when I was a first year cadet in Air Force ROTC.... 250 lbs, 5' 8.5" and 38% body fat. Since I was booted from the program for not adhering to the fitness requirements, I am now 210... standing at 19.75% body fat. Its been a hell of a long road, but i'm SO glad that I found Crossfit, because it is what saved my life.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure it takes some time. I'm also 6'2'' and 170 lb. But I'm way more than 5% body fat. I don't know how you measure your body fat butI looked at some images and seem like I'm 20 - 25% ish. Is 6 - 12 months enough time to go from fatty to OCS ready (5%)?? It's really hard to do 21 semester hours and a job and still find time to exercise... I am very strict on diet. I lost 30 lb over the past 2 months, (unhealthy I know). It was unintentional, I only intended to lose 8 lb. As finals come closer, I'm ending up eating a ton of junk...

Matt Ross

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure it takes some time. I'm also 6'2'' and 170 lb. But I'm way more than 5% body fat. I don't know how you measure your body fat butI looked at some images and seem like I'm 20 - 25% ish. Is 6 - 12 months enough time to go from fatty to OCS ready (5%)?? It's really hard to do 21 semester hours and a job and still find time to exercise... I am very strict on diet. I lost 30 lb over the past 2 months, (unhealthy I know). It was unintentional, I only intended to lose 8 lb. As finals come closer, I'm ending up eating a ton of junk...

Of course! Its going to be tough with your schedule , that seems like a heavy load but it can be done. Do something every day when taking a break from hw/work - running, swimming, lifting, and abs! I'm impressed by your progress keep up the good work!

Do you have your OCS date yet? When do you graduate?

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS

Dude who in the HELL told you to be at 5% body fat for OCS?!?!! You have to be 20% by the time you get to Rhode Island...according to the OCS command website. Don't kill it man! Lol Matt just has those 'golden' genes, whereas I or you have the 'stocky, big strong n proud' genes ahaha lol.

Man 5% would leave you pretty chilly in the morning and in the pool. Once you hit 10% and below it is largely cosmetic and isn't going to give you more athletic performance for OCS. In terms of 6-12 months that is enough time to completely transform almost anyone's body into whatever they want.

If you say you are 6'2" and 170lbs and look like 20-25% body fat that probably means you should focus on weight training. You should stop dieting and focus on strength training with a mixture of cardio (running). Get plenty of protein and eat healthy, but not at a deficit. I was in a similar situation to you (5'10" and 145lbs) and it was very difficult to get out of the dieting mentality and start eating an excess of calories to build muscle, but it is worth it.

As for your workload I think it'll only build character, specifically the type that the board is looking for. Put in that 1-2 hours of exercise every day and you will probably be better prepared for OCS than most applicants. The wonderful thing about exercise is that it fine-tunes the mind and it will reflect upon your grades. On those days when you want to skip exercise you should instead do extra, be your own DI. I sincerely hope you stay motivated over the next 6-12 months and make it man, it'll be worth it.

AirGuy

Man 5% would leave you pretty chilly in the morning and in the pool. Once you hit 10% and below it is largely cosmetic and isn't going to give you more athletic performance for OCS. In terms of 6-12 months that is enough time to completely transform almost anyone's body into whatever they want.
If you say you are 6'2" and 170lbs and look like 20-25% body fat that probably means you should focus on weight training. You should stop dieting and focus on strength training with a mixture of cardio (running). Get plenty of protein and eat healthy, but not at a deficit. I was in a similar situation to you (5'10" and 145lbs) and it was very difficult to get out of the dieting mentality and start eating an excess of calories to build muscle, but it is worth it.

As for your workload I think it'll only build character, specifically the type that the board is looking for. Put in that 1-2 hours of exercise every day and you will probably be better prepared for OCS than most applicants. The wonderful thing about exercise is that it fine-tunes the mind and it will reflect upon your grades. On those days when you want to skip exercise you should instead do extra, be your own DI. I sincerely hope you stay motivated over the next 6-12 months and make it man, it'll be worth it.

Right now I'm using all that extra time to study for the ASTB. I'm taking it in a month or two before they switch over to the new version. But right after that's over. I'll start working out. BTW, I was using this pic to estimate my body fat. Seem pretty accurate? How are you guys calculating your fat %? http://static.superskinnyme.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/body-fat-levels-men1.jpg

And DitchDigger, I've worked out for a long time and my bench and other "max" went up, but I couldn't really say that I packed on more muscle. Didn't look that way anyway.

Matt, you are right about not doing the protein supplement and artificial junk that so many guys do. Most of them are just going that way for aesthetics to be honest. I knew a guy that got a kidney stone and problems from all that protein he ate....

AirGuy

Of course! Its going to be tough with your schedule , that seems like a heavy load but it can be done. Do something every day when taking a break from hw/work - running, swimming, lifting, and abs! I'm impressed by your progress keep up the good work!

Do you have your OCS date yet? When do you graduate?
I don't have an OCS date yet. I'm graduating about a year and two months from now.

Also, I was reading your profile. Says your an information systems engineer in SAP. I heard that language is really good to know and that it has some high tech cybersecurity jobs associated with it. What's a good way to go about learning it. Did you learn it in school or outside?

Matt Ross

I learned it while in school but I am sure there are outside sources that can offer education routes in tech languages such as SAP, ABAP, JAVA, ORACLE, UNIX, , PHP, SQL etc. I am not sure how to do it on your own (not in school) but if you google it you will find a lot out there. Look for 'SAP Certification classes' - if you complete one of those - tech recruiters love that.

The major I took was called 'Management Information Systems' , if your school offers anything with Information Systems (such as Accounting IS or Supply Chain IS or Management IS) you will more than likely study the SAP infrastructure or other high profile systems. I only know the routes you can take while in school, I would recommend talking to a counselor at your school and ask about Information Technology.

Information System majors teach the fundamentals of programming, project management, system testing/debugging, project design, and the functional/technical specifications of different types of systems. They are challenging (I assume like all other technical degrees) but yes they can lead to many types of careers in that field.

What is your current major?

James M.

EOU Future Pilot
I don't have an OCS date yet. I'm graduating about a year and two months from now.

Also, I was reading your profile. Says your an information systems engineer in SAP. I heard that language is really good to know and that it has some high tech cybersecurity jobs associated with it. What's a good way to go about learning it. Did you learn it in school or outside?

You said your graduating in a year and couple months? You got selected for OCS already?

James M.

EOU Future Pilot
Calculon is correct, N3M can force MEPS to give a physical what N3M will say is "continued processing is warranted" or "continued processing is not warranted" then after the physical N3M will make the final call.

In general SPECWAR is the most strict designator (medically)

NavyOffRec,

I had bilateral femur fractures about 1 year ago. Have titanium rods down the length of both bones with multiple screws throughout. Do you know how bad this might affect my chances? Applying this June for SNA/NFO. Physically I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I learned it while in school but I am sure there are outside sources that can offer education routes in tech languages such as SAP, ABAP, JAVA, ORACLE, UNIX, , PHP, SQL etc. I am not sure how to do it on your own (not in school) but if you google it you will find a lot out there. Look for 'SAP Certification classes' - if you complete one of those - tech recruiters love that.

The Supply Corps now offers an additional qualification designation (AQD) if you complete the Penn State SAP certification.

http://worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/sap-certificate/overview

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

I had bilateral femur fractures about 1 year ago. Have titanium rods down the length of both bones with multiple screws throughout. Do you know how bad this might affect my chances? Applying this June for SNA/NFO. Physically I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice.

the board looks at everything not medical, whether or not the rods are an issue will be resolved by N3M and then NAMI.

BackOrdered

Contributor
What exactly does that do? The additional qualification I mean. Would this be of any advantage as a Pilot / NFO?

Probably nothing for Pilots or NFOs, just making you aware that an SAP training concentration does exist. It is relatively new.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What exactly does that do? The additional qualification I mean. Would this be of any advantage as a Pilot / NFO?
As a Squadron Pilot/NFO, not much unless you were a DivO for the AK types, but should be a plus in your package for the board.:)
BzB