• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

USAF_WX2USN

Because everyone should have the same aspirations you or I have.

I bet there are probably more people looking to the military as a 2nd option than those who are really committed to it. Perchance during the application process they got a job offer/some other offer that they ended up taking over the military.

Fair enough, but the time in between the time the application is due and he board meeting is a about a month. And the time the board meets til the results come out it a week or two? I would figure notifying others so they're not wasting their time would be nice. Anyways, doesn't matter. Glad those who really want it got it :)

AirGuy

yes, one issue is blueprinting, it is what the OR is supposed to do upon meeting the applicant, it identifies any issues (legal/physical) and hopefully clears them up prior to submitting, and then there is getting guys that are motivated to submit, they have had large numbers of people becoming not physically qualified or just deciding they don't want this, for instance at one NRD I know of close to 75% of those selected are not able or wanting to go.
Sorry if this may seem like a stupid question. But studying for and taking the ASTB and going through the entire application process is a lot of trouble. Why would people submit, get their dream job, and then not take it? 75% is a big percentage. I'm just curious. Are the quits mostly from short-lived dedication. Like somebody who watched Top Gun and yea... I don't get it why wouldn't you take this job ???!?!?!!!:eek::confused:

exNavyOffRec

Sorry if this may seem like a stupid question. But studying for and taking the ASTB and going through the entire application process is a lot of trouble. Why would people submit, get their dream job, and then not take it? 75% is a big percentage. I'm just curious. Are the quits mostly from short-lived dedication. Like somebody who watched Top Gun and yea... I don't get it why wouldn't you take this job ???!?!?!!!:eek::confused:

I know, I had very few submit then change their mind, and one of those I was relieved once I was able to know him better.

afsf1

Fair enough, but the time in between the time the application is due and he board meeting is a about a month. And the time the board meets til the results come out it a week or two? I would figure notifying others so they're not wasting their time would be nice. Anyways, doesn't matter. Glad those who really want it got it :)
On the other side what about all the applicants who get turned down after going through the several month process of applying? Do you consider the Navy to have wasted those applicants time and effort?
Application & selection is an impersonal process, and neither the Navy (or any employer) nor the applicant owes the other one anything.

As for reasons why you wouldn't take this job? (I am at a bit of a crossroads myself here, to be honest).
- I have been paid close to twice as much/hour at internships as I will be as an O-1.
- Lack of freedom, potentially dangerous work (I don't think I will ever be a family man....but that option would be basically closed for me if I go in).
- Long term commitment is scary. (I would reckon this is a big one amongst individuals who decline a spot)

USAF_WX2USN

On the other side what about all the applicants who get turned down after going through the several month process of applying? Do you consider the Navy to have wasted those applicants time and effort?
Application & selection is an impersonal process, and neither the Navy (or any employer) nor the applicant owes the other one anything.

As for reasons why you wouldn't take this job? (I am at a bit of a crossroads myself here, to be honest).
- I have been paid close to twice as much/hour at internships as I will be as an O-1.
- Lack of freedom, potentially dangerous work (I don't think I will ever be a family man....but that option would be basically closed for me if I go in).
- Long term commitment is scary. (I would reckon this is a big one amongst individuals who decline a spot)

I agree with your first paragraph and sorta why I turned my attention away from the Air Force to the navy. But, all applicants should have been thinking about your 2nd paragraph points. Perhaps some of that hit them later in the process and maybe since I'm quite a few years older than most of the applicants I think a bit more about those aspects. As far as a family man issue, I'm a mom of two small kids (age 1 and 3) and it is very possible to have a family in the military. Granted, this will be the first time I will be away from them for an extended period (my current job is non deployable) , but I know the outcome is worth the sacrifice.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
I'm sure it has its benefits for the Navy too... on the one hand, the Navy doesn't want guys who aren't committed to what will be long hours and often times dangerous work. On the other hand, would you want some guy who decided to just "try it out" and is going to not have his head or heart in the mission/training?

It's natural for people to have trepidation about a 8+ year commitment (10, really) for aviation, especially those in their early to mid 20's. How many people in their early 20's know where they'll be in their mid 30s? I think it'd be a waste of time to apply but hey, you never know until it's there staring you in the face

Plus, if you think a short app is long... think about the ROTC kids who decline their commission (yes, they exist) after 2+ years...

zeagle

These are great points. Also, regardless of what you may hear on TV, etc, the economy is actually improving and hiring is up big at my university. Kids are getting decent corporate spots in the workforce at above O-1 pay grade levels, so I'm sure a lot of people simply submit an OCS app as a backup in case they can't find work or whatever. Clearly not the reason one should use to join the military, but I'm sure loads of people join for this very reason.

AirGuy

I'm sure it has its benefits for the Navy too... on the one hand, the Navy doesn't want guys who aren't committed to what will be long hours and often times dangerous work. On the other hand, would you want some guy who decided to just "try it out" and is going to not have his head or heart in the mission/training?

It's natural for people to have trepidation about a 8+ year commitment (10, really) for aviation, especially those in their early to mid 20's. How many people in their early 20's know where they'll be in their mid 30s? I think it'd be a waste of time to apply but hey, you never know until it's there staring you in the face

Plus, if you think a short app is long... think about the ROTC kids who decline their commission (yes, they exist) after 2+ years...
True. 8 years of commitment?? More like 8 years of commitedly doing the best job in the world!!! I wouldn't know yet of course. But I do know I've wanted to do this since I was a kid. Only thing that stopped me was the money. I reached the conclusion that I wouldn't know what to do with so much money anyway.

If something happens and you need to leave for a little while in the middle of your "commitment," would they let you take a break and come back to serve the rest of it. For example, say your kid or spouse gets extremely sick and you need to be there to care of them.

Corsair2002

Sequestration Fodder
pilot
True. 8 years of commitment?? More like 8 years of commitedly doing the best job in the world!!!

Agree...

Ask yourself: Would you like to fly airplanes? Is it a passion? Would you PAY to fly?? If the answers are yes, 8 years is nothing to be doing your dream AND getting paid for it. Not to mention all the great people doing the same job with you, you can get assigned to any squadron and you are always going to find friends there. 8 years is not a lot of time if you decide you don't like being paid to fly airplanes.... On the flip side, if it's not a passion and your dream, then might not be suited...gotta be honest with yourself.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If something happens and you need to leave for a little while in the middle of your "commitment," would they let you take a break and come back to serve the rest of it. For example, say your kid or spouse gets extremely sick and you need to be there to care of them.
That has happened in the past, it all depends on the circumstances and would have to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Usually, when an immediate family member with a serious long term health/medical problem is involved, a Humanitarian Discharge request may be approved. While strict and restrictive, the Navy is not totally heartless. For a shorter term family illness, a leave of absence might be requested and approved, but are fairly rare. I recall that ex-President Jimmy Carter received a Humanitarian Discharge to care for his ailing Mother, and he was a highly trained Nuke Sub Officer!
BzB

afsf1

Agree...

Ask yourself: Would you like to fly airplanes? Is it a passion? Would you PAY to fly?? If the answers are yes, 8 years is nothing to be doing your dream AND getting paid for it. Not to mention all the great people doing the same job with you, you can get assigned to any squadron and you are always going to find friends there. 8 years is not a lot of time if you decide you don't like being paid to fly airplanes.... On the flip side, if it's not a passion and your dream, then might not be suited...gotta be honest with yourself.

Believe it or not being a naval aviator involves just a few more things (both good and bad) than flying and other 'cool guy' stuff than Top Gun would have you believe.

Corsair2002

Sequestration Fodder
pilot
Believe it or not being a naval aviator involves just a few more things (both good and bad) than flying and other 'cool guy' stuff than Top Gun would have you believe.

Yep. Watch, mandatory GMT, disassociated sea tour possibly, hurry up and wait, flamers, whiz quizzes....to name a few. But when it comes down to it ready room antics, JOPA (at least for the first 10 yrs), OClub, drinking with buddies, dice, focsle follies, and above all that part called FLYING(no matter which part of the team) make the bad stuff worth it. But like any good naval aviator you'll bitch and whine the whole time about how bad all the little stuff is because that's what we do. :-p

WEGL12

VT-28
These are great points. Also, regardless of what you may hear on TV, etc, the economy is actually improving and hiring is up big at my university. Kids are getting decent corporate spots in the workforce at above O-1 pay grade levels, so I'm sure a lot of people simply submit an OCS app as a backup in case they can't find work or whatever. Clearly not the reason one should use to join the military, but I'm sure loads of people join for this very reason.

I agree that more jobs are currently available but the starting salaries can be misleading. A newly commissioned O-1 stationed in Pensacola will get paid in the mid-40s if you include BAH and BAS. Most engineering jobs start out around 55k to 60k depending on the field but that rarely includes full benefits. Medical, dental, life, retirement, etc. is include in the base military pay which is a significant benefit plus you get discounts for taxes, auto insurance and house insurance. So in the end I personally believe you are equally paid when you start the military vs. a civilian job. Can't make that argument 10 years down the road because an engineers salary can jump up over 100k pretty quick. But I believe money isn't everything. If you truly enjoy your job, it can make up the difference of a lower paying salary as long as you can provide for yourself/family. I couldn't see myself working on a computer in an office everyday of the week. But then again I have always wanted to be a Naval officer and never really considered other job as an options because I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Like you said, several people I know are interested in the military because its the only thing available not because they really want to do it.

J.McGinnis

Would just like to say congratulations to everyone who was selected for the SNA/NFO board. It is a tremendous accomplishment! Over long thought and a tough decision, I have came to the conclusion of not accepting my SNA offer. My heart has always been with the Coast Guard and I am waiting on my second go at OCS after a "perfect score" interview and complete overhauled package. It has been quite the run with the Navy application process and I will take away a lot from it. I guess tough life decisions come down to following your gut/heart and not looking back. I wish the best of luck to all future aviators and flight officers. Wear your wings with pride, honor and humility. Take care everyone!

Jackson