• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

MGoBrew11

pilot
Oh and 1 more thing. I fall under NRD Raleigh. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/nrds.htm But I am way closer to NRD Atlanta. Do I have to go to NRD Raleigh or can I go to Atlanta instead?

You can work with whoever is closer. It doesn't really matter.

I started the application process in Michigan but lived in New Orleans, LA for a year while still working with the Michigan office. If you want to apply in May, you should call NRDs ASAP.

I just met a guy who is stationed in California flying F/A 18's and he wrote back with this information I thought it would be appropriate to throw up here, pretty interesting to read.

I've had literally lived the dream for ten years and I'm glad to hear another -----------may do it too.
A lot has changed since I went through, but there will always be some universal truths, which I'll try to share.
OCS: make sure you are in shape before you get there, it'll make your life much easier. You will see a lot of people breaking rules and doing questionable shit...don't even think about it...do you really want to compromise your dreams by banging another candidate or sneaking out? Help those who are less capable than you(this is a central theme that will carry through your career). You may have the nicest locker, sharpest uniform, tightest rack, and cleanest rifle, but if your roommates' suck, then so do you! It isn't fair when you have to carry someone else's load, but suck it up...someone will notice and you will be rewarded.
Flight School: Your flight experience will put you well ahead of your peers and will likely get you the coveted jet slot so long as you don't fuck it up by slacking off. That edge will begin to dissipate in advanced training when you start flying tactical formation, bombing, and dogfighting...so work hard.
At some point, you will hear this term: "Live by the gouge, die by the gouge". Gouge is advice, notes, cheatsheets, or passed-down information. The idiom means to use it carefully. You never know the reliability of the source, so if you depend on it, it could fuck you.
Be a team player and don't hoard the gouge! Share every bit of information you have with your peers (competitors). That may seem counter-productive, but you'll be an outcast if you're found holding out...let your abilities speak for themselves.
Don't try to "game" the system. Know the standards and exceed them...you'll get what you want. Lots of guys will do things to try to beat the system (e.g. going "med-down" to avoid the hard instructor or delay their selection date). There are really no shortcuts...just be awesome and don't worry about.
Carrier qualifications: No matter how bad you think it may be going, DO NOT GIVE UP! The landing signals officers have many tools to get you qualified, and despite how they may treat you, they WANT you to qualify...unless you're a douche.
After you get your wings and you report to the FRS, remember that you haven't made it yet...shit's just getting started! Your instructors will be fleet guys with close ties to many squadrons. Any douchebaggery on your part will spread to the fleet and you'll be an outcast before your career even really starts. I've seen it happen, it's ugly. Fitting in is actually pretty easy if you do these things: help your classmates, be humble, be aggressive, be accountable (no excuses), and be social (if you don't drink, then be the happy DD, if you drink, always have a buddy that will save your ass in case you get so shitfaced that you're getting into trouble).
If you don't get jets, it's not the end of the world. Every platform can lead to great flying and a successful career...attitude is everything.
One last thing. Pay off your student loans as aggressively as you can and start saving for retirement immediately! I can't stress this enough. You're going to be broke as an ensign but you absolutley must put 10% away for retirement and make more than the minimum payment on your loans. If you don't, you'll be kicking your own ass! Take my word for it.
Whew, that's a lot. Let me know if you ever have any questions and I'll do what I can to either answer them or point you in the right direction.

Good luck and Godspeed

AirGuy

You can work with whoever is closer. It doesn't really matter.

I started the application process in Michigan but lived in New Orleans, LA for a year while still working with the Michigan office. If you want to apply in May, you should call NRDs ASAP.

Thanks for all the help.
Good luck with everything in flight school.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just met a guy who is stationed in California flying F/A 18's and he wrote back with this information I thought it would be appropriate to throw up here, pretty interesting to read.
Awesome advice! Follow this... you'll be poopin' in clover & fartin' through silk!;)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

This is pretty confusing. So I submit my package to OCS, fail the PQ due to nearsightedness and then get PRK and retake it? Or does my package not get sent because I failed the PQ? If my recruiter knows that I am getting PRK then will my package get sent?

If you go to MEPS and then N3M NPQ's you due to vision NRC by the rules cannot send you to board, if you get PRK and then get Pro Y'd and cannot meet PQ requirements ASAP they can give away your spot, that really depends on the program manager, the one now for SNA is pretty nice but he is about to leave, the one before would release the spot if PQ wasn't met within 30 days if it was something that was known ahead of time.

Your best bet is to wait until you know you can be PQ'd.

exNavyOffRec

I apologize for the condescendence. I feel superior to none. I just thought from an objective point of view, maybe 1 or 2 years could have been outweighed by the rest of my application. My vision was of a board that asked themselves, if when at war or peace, who would we want flying for us. maybe I might have been a great pilot for them, maybe not, but if their predictors were based on the applications, I think them a bit negligent for not overlooking a year or two. From what I have known, anything in the military is "waiverable" if the need arises. I do not regret applying one bit, knowing or not whether I was over the age limit because I really wanted this. I wanted this bad and If my argument is anything it just one of passion and not condescendece. And someone who is objectively qualified and passionate, I think, would excel in whatever he or she does.

I have no idea how the board works or what the age means to them so my argument probably has no weight All I can say is I didn't give up on a dream.

Unless NRC missed your age (doubtful) the board would never have seen you application, the NRC processors or the program manager would just Pro X you or just put you on the no list.

Everything in the military is not waiverable that is a big misconception, I have seen 2 star's relatives get turned down because they wouldn't budge, I have seen one senior officer tell another his sailor wasn't get commissioned because the condition was not waiverable.

FYI I have seen CO's get a WTF phone call from the Region commander for submitting people that didn't meet the program authorization, by telling them to submit you put them in a not good spot, if they even did submit?

exNavyOffRec

WHOAH. Really bad gouge. PRK is the only surgery allowed for applicants.

I got PRK and I am an SNA right now. A whole bunch of my SNA buddies also got PRK and were just commissioned.

PRK is considered disqualifying but it is very easily waiverable. I have never heard of a PRK waiver being denied. The surgery you need to be careful with is LASIK.

Agree! the ONLY PRK waiver I have seen denied is a person that was outside commissioning limits prior to surgery.

Folks are finding out about there FS letters on a Sunday? Mine should be coming soon considering I am PQed already have a secret security clearance and my conditional release is complete just waiting to swear in and obtain a OCS date which from what I am seeing could be March 31st.

Finding out I was selected has not really hit me yet I cannot believe it. I wouldn't give this slot up for a million dollars seriously. I am happy to fly whatever the Navy puts me in and I be damned if I ever complain. Just like I told my unit Saturday I will not forget I was enlisted first. Thanks to the admin of this site and all the veteran aviators before me I am thankful you take the time out your day to help folks like me.

zeagle

I'm June 23rd as well. Congrats, and I hope to see you in Newport!

A bunch of 23 Juners on here. See you guys and gals shortly at OCS. My recruiter is actually trying to get me bumped to an earlier class date so I don't have to sit around so long, but he may not be successful, so I'm confident I'l likely meet you all. SNFO/27/Prior here, most likely the oldest cat in the class, lol.

A bunch of 23 Juners on here. See you guys and gals shortly at OCS. My recruiter is actually trying to get me bumped to an earlier class date so I don't have to sit around so long, but he may not be successful, so I'm confident I'l likely meet you all. SNFO/27/Prior here, most likely the oldest cat in the class, lol.

This is from that texas recruiting command site
"Due to NRC needing to select the maximum numbers of both NFO and Pilot from the applications submitted, to not only fill immediate vacancies in the upcoming 31Mar, 21Apr, and 12May OCS classes (to meet remaining FY13 shipping goals)".
Everyone I have seen who has been selected to attend 23 June has not yet graduated.

AirGuy

If you go to MEPS and then N3M NPQ's you due to vision NRC by the rules cannot send you to board, if you get PRK and then get Pro Y'd and cannot meet PQ requirements ASAP they can give away your spot, that really depends on the program manager, the one now for SNA is pretty nice but he is about to leave, the one before would release the spot if PQ wasn't met within 30 days if it was something that was known ahead of time.

Your best bet is to wait until you know you can be PQ'd.
Alright. Do you happen to have the upcoming board date beyond July 13 for SNA/SNFO?

Thanks for your help.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finding out I was selected has not really hit me yet I cannot believe it. I wouldn't give this slot up for a million dollars seriously. I am happy to fly whatever the Navy puts me in and I be damned if I ever complain. Just like I told my unit Saturday I will not forget I was enlisted first. Thanks to the admin of this site and all the veteran aviators before me I am thankful you take the time out your day to help folks like me.
Great attitude, stick with it and you'll do well. There are a couple of dudes on here that don't feel that way, and could use a 'humility transplant'. You would make a great donor!;)
BzB

zeagle

This is from that texas recruiting command site
"Due to NRC needing to select the maximum numbers of both NFO and Pilot from the applications submitted, to not only fill immediate vacancies in the upcoming 31Mar, 21Apr, and 12May OCS classes (to meet remaining FY13 shipping goals)".
Everyone I have seen who has been selected to attend 23 June has not yet graduated.

Yea I have not graduated, that's why I am in this class. I actually graduate like the last week of April, and there are a few classes between than and June 23, so my recruiter is trying to get me to an early June class. A lot of it has to do with my lease too, as I'm on the Post 911 (getting BAH), and wil have to pay for 2 months rent once that ends, so getting to OCS ASAP would save me loads of money. Either way though, I'm going to OCS so it's a win-win anyway you look at it. Can't wait to see you all.

USAF_WX2USN

Wow. I'm surprised everyone is finding out so fast their class dates. I guess they really do need SNA/NFO ASAP. Still waiting to hear from the IDC board, as are most of us.