• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

I will believe there was a 100% selection rate when someone with a score say 4/5/4 43 is selected. Also I noticed on the texas navy site it mentioned that folks selected from this board can attend the OCS class on March 31st as long as there already PQed which I am and completed there JPas which I am doing tomorrow I am willing to attend this class if this is correct.

dschorr

OCS 20JUL2014
Just found out from my former recruiter that the one reassigned to me never submitted my package, so it looks like I'm waiting on the next board. July still the word for the next board, or is this rolling board looking more like a 4-6 weeks?

Either way, congrats to everyone selected this time around!

apilot87

your flight time may have pushed you over, but MB is right, a person with experience should have scored better, my first wake up on applicants and the ASTB is when my first person failed flight school, he had 7 PFAR, he was multi rated, commercial rated, instructor rated and failed while others I sent with him that had no experience yet had 8's and 9's made it.

Well I will keep that in mind. I am sure that my stick and rudder skills will be helpful, but I know I am going to have to re-learn things and break certain habits. Either way I made it, and I am going to give it my all. I look forward to the training and OCS. As far as anyone else on here talking about how I SHOULD have scored... The ASTB is just a paper test... It doesn't determine things like dedication, stick and rudder skills, personality or ability. I wont be saying anymore on this because it seems like armchair recruiters on here and has-beens are trying to rain on a proud mans parade by saying crap like, " Their just trying to fill slots, you should have scored better, and they will take any body nowa days."

apilot87

If you have a commercial and hours, why aren't you scoring better than that?

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

You say IF as IF I don't have it. And FAA questions are much different. I didn't study anything about space programs or Apollo missions. I also took the test before I found out what a gouge was and also before I became a member on here. Either way there are a lot of nay sayers on here that are awfully good at trying to rain on my parade! Right now I could give a DAMN what I scored on the ASTB because I'm going to OCS and Im going to be a damn good officer.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
Wow 100% selection, I wonder how this is going to affect the July board. Congrats to all selected.

If rolling boards are indeed going to happen, it's in your best interest to get your app in. They'll likely send those guys to the early FY14 classes

From what I can tell, this past board was held as quick as it was in order to get a lot of people in to the next 3 classes (31 Mar, 21 Apr, 12 May) and its likely they will need more people for FY14 as well, as a July board may be too late for the early summer classes

MasterBates

You say IF as IF I don't have it. And FAA questions are much different. I didn't study anything about space programs or Apollo missions. I also took the test before I found out what a gouge was and also before I became a member on here. Either way there are a lot of nay sayers on here that are awfully good at trying to rain on my parade! Right now I could give a DAMN what I scored on the ASTB because I'm going to OCS and Im going to be a damn good officer.

I say if, because you are a new poster with 8 posts, who makes claims. Once you are here for a while and establish some street cred, then people will believe what is posted easier.

What do I know? I do know I have 544 more shipboard small deck landings and 106 more carrier arrested landings than you. And a Commercial with Multi, Helo, Instrument Airplane and Instrument Helo.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade, but calling one of the Super Mods a "Has Been" and rolling into OCS thinking you are all that when you have 0.0 hours as the pilot of a Naval Aircraft with this giant ass chip on your shoulder is going to cause a world of pain for you.

I've seen ATPs wash out of primary because they couldn't learn the Navy way, or let go enough.

Hell, I fucking struggled in BIs and Early RIs in HTs with 1200 fucking hours IN A FUCKING JETRANGER because everything I knew as a commercial helo guy was "WRONG".

Less chip on shoulder. More listen. Less "I am a prior I know everything" in flight school will help as well. It's different in many ways on the Officer side. Many of the Prior E pilots will say as much. (you haven't posted as such a I know everything about the Navy soon to be prior, but I've seen the pattern from people who have a similar background).

Prove me wrong. Proving the people who said I'd never make it through OCS/API/Flight School/CQ/Night CQ/Flight School again, etc got me through some rough spots.

Take your ASTB score as advisory. While you may have gotten picked up based off of your tickets and perhaps evals counterbalancing a less than stellar ASTB, keep in mind that the Navy doesn't do that just for fun. It is a high confidence predictor of success, but is not fool proof.

You got the slot. You may have weak areas as shown by the ASTB. Don't fuck it away by thinking you are the next Bob Moore or Neil Armstrong and will be fine without studying.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
If rolling boards are indeed going to happen, it's in your best interest to get your app in. They'll likely send those guys to the early FY14 classes

From what I can tell, this past board was held as quick as it was in order to get a lot of people in to the next 3 classes (31 Mar, 21 Apr, 12 May) and its likely they will need more people for FY14 as well, as a July board may be too late for the early summer classes
I wish I could, but I'm currently active duty and my package has to go through my chain of command and ultimately my CO. The earliest I'm looking at is late April or early May for submission. Can you by any chance explain how this rolling board works?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Wow 100% selection, I wonder how this is going to affect the July board. Congrats to all selected.
The key phrase is "100% of those applications considered." Dunno what the criteria is for them to "consider" a package, but it most likely doesn't mean 100% selection of all applicants.

exNavyOffRec

The key phrase is "100% of those applications considered." Dunno what the criteria is for them to "consider" a package, but it most likely doesn't mean 100% selection of all applicants.

Correct! In order to be considered an application must meet at least the minimums as set forth by the Program Authorization, sometimes applications are submitted that do not meet the PA, and that is a failure of the NRD's

exNavyOffRec

MB is right, use the ASTB as an advisory, the USN has it for a reason, when it gets down to it they have it to save money, is it perfect no, if it were you would not see people fail flight school with high ASTB scores, are there people that might have made it through that scored low who were never selected, maybe, there are statistics for everything, you don't have to like them, but understanding them and what you can do to beat the odds just benefits you.

Studying may not have helped, I have seen many that spent months studying who never achieved qualifying scores, I have seen a few that did, and I have seen several who just took it and scored 8's and 9's, some had PPL, some did not, and just a fraction of those that apply have found this site.

Listen to what MB and others have good info on what you can expect and some challanges.

FYI, I had an Ensign that spent some time at my NRD waiting to go IRR, he had the "that isn't how I learned it" problem.

Navy Airedale

SNA PRO-REC
"both the NFO and Pilot boards had a 100% selection rate among the applications considered " After seeing some low ASTB scores, I wonder who was considered, but I am yet to believe any of this because I am still waiting on my phone call and besides anyone who has been in the military knows not to believe anything unless it has been signed on an official document.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wont be saying anymore on this because it seems like armchair recruiters on here and has-beens are trying to rain on a proud mans parade by saying crap like, " Their just trying to fill slots, you should have scored better, and they will take any body nowa days."
Speaking of raining on parades... WTH is blasting 4 DISLIKES on a thread in one day, especially on a member who has spent so much time assisting candidates on AW? Congrats on your selection, but this post smells of gloating, lack of humility & class!

1. "Armchair recruiter": apparently referring to NavyOffRec - low blow & classless.

2. "Has-beens": - apparently referring to any member with more flight, military & life experience than yoursef; that gives you answers and advice you don't like, or want to hear? NO AW MEMBER on this site with 'Gold Wings' in his avatar is a "has-been", regardless of age, experience or duty status!

3. "Proud Man": Pride/Self confidencc are good traits... but the line can be thin between them and arrogance, and you crossed the line on this thread. Next time you get the urge to push that "dislike" button - think twice!:(
BzB, MAS ERAU '89 - 4200 hr. "has-been"

24839039.jpg

Just be excited that we are that much closer to getting an opportunity to hop into a Naval aircraft and do crazier shit then you will ever get to do in the civilian world. . . and get paid for it