• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

Mew

Actually no that was my profile picture on FB when I joined the site. . . I guess the hoodies ears got cut off and that is a friends cat who was less than amused about being held

exNavyOffRec

My OR said to send 3 that with the number of applicants they get they do not bother reading more than the top three LOR's and that you should focus on sending your best 3 the caveat for that was if you have five O-7's falling over them selves to write you a LOR then by all means but that extra letters most of all those who do not know you in a professional setting were not worth sending.

well the problem with what your OR said is the LOR's are arranged by your work history, so if you had 6 jobs it goes from most recent out, that means if your first 3 put, yes this person worked here that that is all they would see, LOR's not associated with a job are put behind all ones that are.

Some things that have been said that I asked about that were discounted. #1 is that they don't read the recruiter comments, board feedback said not true. the others in no particular order, a flag LOR will carry lots of weight - board feedback FALSE, if you don't have an officer interview you won't get picked up - board feedback FALSE (except where required), you are only required to submit 3 LOR's - FALSE the minimum number is not only dictated by checklist but by number of jobs held, the board doesn't read motivational statements - feedback says FALSE they take the time to read each one, they don't read LOR's - feedback FALSE they read each one, active duty time will make up for low GPA - feedback FALSE low GPA is a low GPA and will be counted as such.

exNavyOffRec

Yea they really need to update the 1420 it's vague in a lot of areas! Well my command did let me submit my package and I got a letter from my college stating that I am in my last semester, anticipated grad date and current GPA so keeping my fingers crossed that's enough!

That is the letter they will look for.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
Can you apply to OCS if you have not completed your degree? I have everything done for my package and will finish in March.
This has been on our POW for a month now: "
OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL (OCS) OPEN AND AVAILABLE FOR QUALIFIED FLEET SAILORS
Command Leaders and Command Career Counselors,
Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) is presently accepting applications for near-term openings for Officer Candidate School (OCS) quotas within the officer programs of Surface Warfare (SWO), Pilot, and Naval Flight Officer (NFO) to ship to OCS during the February 2013 through September 2013 timeframe. We are looking to fill these OCS officer program quotas with qualified and motivated Enlisted Sailors that have documented sustained superior performance and who already posses or will soon posses a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Interested Sailors should review OPNAVINST 1420.1B for application procedures and basic eligibility criteria for applying to OCS programs and also review the individual Program Authorizations (PA) for specific program eligibility criteria for the officer programs of SWO, Pilot, and NFO available at <http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm <http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm> >.
Questions about application submission procedures can be directed to Fleet OCS application processors within NRC by emailing <ocsquestions@navy.mil>
It clearly states those who posses or will soon posses a bachelor's degree.

I also emailed the fleet processor to regarding this and they is what they had to say: "You can have your school do a letter with your expected graduation date and enclose that with your current transcripts. If you are selected you will have to show proof of graduation before you can go to OCS. If you have any further questions please let me know."

exNavyOffRec

who already posses or will soon posses a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.

I agree this is what it should be as those that are not on active duty can fall under this and I think AD should as well, but the 1420 again differs from NRC as the 1420 says "must possess", now if the command doesn't care not an issue, but I have seen several sailors get pushback from their commands because they go by the 1420.

unfortunately many CCC have no idea about OCS programs, in all the meetings I was in dealing with career counseling the 3 letters OCS were never said, the three letters that were ALWAYS said were PTS, the stuff said to sailors by the CCC and Admin officers wanted me to bang my head against the wall.

Beefalo

Almost a year ago I asked the same question to the Fleet Processor and the FC1 there at the time told me I needed to have my degree prior to submitting. I guess the difference is with a civilian there is nothing stopping you when your full time job is college but with AD there are deployments, TAD, etc. that can stop a Sailor in the middle of a college class and thus not be able to complete a degree in a timely manner.

Matthew Smith

Hazegrey05
That is the letter they will look for.

I just submitted my OCS package for the IDC board and they WILL reject your package based off that letter alone. I had two notorized letters from the college stating that my graduation date was confirmed for December and they invalidated based off that. What the fleet processor will accept is a copy of your unofficial transcript signed by an E-7 or above stating that the student transcript that you are submitted is authentic and it MUST have the degree confirment date in either the top or bottom.

My college doesn't let me print off an unofficial transcript with the confirment date in it so I had to scramble and have them fax me a copy of the original and then have a Chief at my command sign it and we sent it back to the fleet processor luckily it got done. This is just one of the little things that will have your package axed before it even gets a set of eyes on it.

exNavyOffRec

I just submitted my OCS package for the IDC board and they WILL reject your package based off that letter alone. I had two notorized letters from the college stating that my graduation date was confirmed for December and they invalidated based off that. What the fleet processor will accept is a copy of your unofficial transcript signed by an E-7 or above stating that the student transcript that you are submitted is authentic and it MUST have the degree confirment date in either the top or bottom.

My college doesn't let me print off an unofficial transcript with the confirment date in it so I had to scramble and have them fax me a copy of the original and then have a Chief at my command sign it and we sent it back to the fleet processor luckily it got done. This is just one of the little things that will have your package axed before it even gets a set of eyes on it.

That letter is called a "will grad" letter we have used them for years (20+) NRC has a form that can be used as well, it basically says "(insert name) is attending (insert college) and is expected to graduate (month/year) with a Bachelors of (insert degree)" it is then signed by the school official.

The above allows the person to have their application seen by the board, a further letter is needed prior to shipping with a bit more info, we have sent people to OCS with no degree confirmation date on the transcripts but it was accompanied by another letter.

Xin Xia

Pro-Rec Supply Corp
Almost a year ago I asked the same question to the Fleet Processor and the FC1 there at the time told me I needed to have my degree prior to submitting. I guess the difference is with a civilian there is nothing stopping you when your full time job is college but with AD there are deployments, TAD, etc. that can stop a Sailor in the middle of a college class and thus not be able to complete a degree in a timely manner.

very true. i was been told that AD personnel must have his/her degree prior applying to OCS due to our unique active service situation. not sure if thats true, but that was what my CCC put out. don't quote me on this, just like NavyOffRec said, most CCC's have no idea bout OCS, and my CCC is definitely one of the wrost, hands down.

unfortunately many CCC have no idea about OCS programs, in all the meetings I was in dealing with career counseling the 3 letters OCS were never said, the three letters that were ALWAYS said were PTS, the stuff said to sailors by the CCC and Admin officers wanted me to bang my head against the wall.

This is my first time posting on AW, I really appreciate all the advice that everyone has posted.

I am applying to this board, as far as my recruiter has told me.
Stats

22/M/ no prior
Applying for pilot
8/8/8-65
3.4 Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle
4 LOR (3 ex-employers, 1 O-6 retired)
400 hrs community service
CFI/CFII 400 hrs

Downside: ACL reconstruction

I also heard that having prior flight experience doesn't really come into play when they make their decision?
it definitely helped with the ASTB.

As for the ASTB
Last math class I took was freshman year in college.

I purchased 2 books "Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests" and "Peterson's- Master the Officer Candidate Tests"
The questions in "Barron's" book are harder than the questions on the real test, and that is what I study the most.
Then found every gouge I could online as well as reading on here.

Just practice practice practice.

exNavyOffRec

This is my first time posting on AW, I really appreciate all the advice that everyone has posted.

Stats

22/M/ no prior
Applying for pilot
8/8/8-65
CFI/CFII 400 hrs

I also heard that having prior flight experience doesn't really come into play when they make their decision?

As for the ASTB

I purchased 2 books "Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests" and "Peterson's- Master the Officer Candidate Tests"
The questions in "Barron's" book are harder than the questions on the real test, and that is what I study the most.

Have you started the medical process? If not I would start on that soon.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Stats

22/M/ no prior
Applying for pilot
8/8/8-65
CFI/CFII 400 hrs

As for the ASTB

You're right about the prior flight experience; however, it won't hurt you (and should give you an edge in primary/basic instruments).

Your stats are fine, attitude is great, and your advice spot on. Good luck on your 'adventure', I think you will do well ... !:)
BzB, MAS ERAU '89