• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

Mew

So I'm still confused is MEPS not required for this SWO board? My OR told me it was and we didn't have time to get it done before the intel board so we just went with that. . . So was that not the right thing to do and is it too late to send it to the SWO board?

USAF_WX2USN

So I'm still confused is MEPS not required for this SWO board? My OR told me it was and we didn't have time to get it done before the intel board so we just went with that. . . So was that not the right thing to do and is it too late to send it to the SWO board?

SWO board kits are due Feb 1st

From what I was told meps was not needed to apply for a board (SNA anyways), but it is a huge plus. It make sense when you think about it, if you have two applicants that's near the same but you know one was PQ who you think there going to pick. Seems like a huge risk selecting someone who is not PQ then they go to meps and fail the vision, depth reception, hearing, etc.

It is possible they delayed that again, I am calling tomorrow to see how accurate that is, now if they are going back to rolling boards (that means every month or so) then I could see them doing away with the medical before board requirement.

You mention rolling boards could that affect the March board, and they starting viewing applications before March 1st? Also I feel alright with my 6/7/6 50 considering it's much better than my previous 2 astb scores. Compared to the astb scores on this forum my score is not high at all, I was most concerned about obtaining a 7 pfar. I feel that my 3.4 gpa, current status in the USAFR, pilots license, and already PQ will help what do you think NavyOffRec? My recruiter showed me the selection rate of the last board (December board) I have 13 cumulative points and the selection rate was 33%. If I would have obtained one point somewhere else the selection rate went up 87%. Then I noticed I was looking at the wrong stats, since I am part of the diverse group there are different stats for diversity. That made me think if there are different stats, does the board look at the diverse applicants different or is that not even something looked at other than putting stats together. When I say different I do not mean in a negative or positive way.

exNavyOffRec

From what I was told meps was not needed to apply for a board (SNA anyways), but it is a huge plus. It make sense when you think about it, if you have two applicants that's near the same but you know one was PQ who you think there going to pick. Seems like a huge risk selecting someone who is not PQ then they go to meps and fail the vision, depth reception, hearing, etc.

The boards see and are not told of any medical or PQ status.

exNavyOffRec

It is possible your NRD will not let you submit without it being done, it really is in their best interest to submit with PQ to ensure they get credit.

nombrescreeno

Thanks for the info on the whole PQ letter thing... I guess it clarifies what my NRD was trying to say which is that your app can still be submitted, but it mainly affects the NRD and not the applicant in that the NRD won't get credit unless a PQ letter is submitted with the applicant

Seems like the system is moving away from ORs submitting a ton of applicants hoping some get selected for credit

exNavyOffRec

You mention rolling boards could that affect the March board, and they starting viewing applications before March 1st? Also I feel alright with my 6/7/6 50 considering it's much better than my previous 2 astb scores. Compared to the astb scores on this forum my score is not high at all, I was most concerned about obtaining a 7 pfar. I feel that my 3.4 gpa, current status in the USAFR, pilots license, and already PQ will help what do you think NavyOffRec? My recruiter showed me the selection rate of the last board (December board) I have 13 cumulative points and the selection rate was 33%. If I would have obtained one point somewhere else the selection rate went up 87%. Then I noticed I was looking at the wrong stats, since I am part of the diverse group there are different stats for diversity. That made me think if there are different stats, does the board look at the diverse applicants different or is that not even something looked at other than putting stats together. When I say different I do not mean in a negative or positive way.

you are over thinking this, yes they look at diversity, but AFTER the selections are done, then if they need to bump it up they go out to the NRD's and say "get more diversity" they actually have a diversity team that goes out to the NRD and assist them if needed.

each board looks at different things, since it is different people doing the selections, but the number one thing is ASTB, in over 3 years I NEVER had anyone nor did the NRD I was at, regardless of diversity, sex, GPA, degree, or anything else that was selected with anything lower than 7 on the PFAR for SNA or 7 on FOFAR for NFO, there have been A FEW here selected with less, but many more not.

you are over thinking this, yes they look at diversity, but AFTER the selections are done, then if they need to bump it up they go out to the NRD's and say "get more diversity" they actually have a diversity team that goes out to the NRD and assist them if needed.

each board looks at different things, since it is different people doing the selections, but the number one thing is ASTB, in over 3 years I NEVER had anyone nor did the NRD I was at, regardless of diversity, sex, GPA, degree, or anything else that was selected with anything lower than 7 on the PFAR for SNA or 7 on FOFAR for NFO, there have been A FEW here selected with less, but many more not.

Yes I believe I was overthinking, I just want to fly for the Navy and can't wait until selection. I did not know the board didn't see PQ or not guess its good I knocked it out anyway. I guess my 7 PFAR should help my chances with selection I'm guessing the OAR is not a huge factor? Also is there any possibility applications could be viewed earlier than March 4th?

exNavyOffRec

You mean "The boards don't see and are not told of any medical or PQ status" right?

Also, youngaviator what are those points for selection % you were talking about?

ahh yes, good catch, I have a habit of typing so fast that computers can't keep up!

You mean "The boards don't see and are not told of any medical or PQ status" right?

Also, youngaviator what are those points for selection % you were talking about?

You are giving points based on certain things such as your gpa, astb score, and one other thing I cannot remember. The board only uses this to select applicants. I am not sure on much of the details I just remember my recruiter showed me the stats of last board and the selection rate for the category I was in which was 33%.

exNavyOffRec

You are giving points based on certain things such as your gpa, astb score, and one other thing I cannot remember. The board only uses this to select applicants. I am not sure on much of the details I just remember my recruiter showed me the stats of last board and the selection rate for the category I was in which was 33%.

Stats are put out for every board, but they are given leeway on what they do, each board can adjust what they think is important that is why you see the occasional person with 5's get picked up, or the person with 3.9 get turned down, the ONLY consistant item when it comes to SNA and SNFO is high ASTB leads to high selection rate. When I briefed and prepped my applicants it all revolved around the ASTB and I had the highest selection rate at my NRD, often I had 100% of my SNA applicants selected.

J.McGinnis

So I have a question...A couple months back I went to an Optometrists office to get an eye exam to prove MEPS was wrong when they wrote me up for 20/50 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Came out that I am indeed 20/20 in both eyes, near and distant acuity, and also passed everything else including the depth perception, pressure, glaucoma, the whole nine yards. Medical for the Navy wrote back that I wasn't cleared for depth perception and had to go back to MEPS to get it administered. Of course, they did not pass me. I made it to the C line. It is pretty frustrating now because I have to go to an Opthamologist now to get the waiver. I've read numerous posts on here about similar situations. I believe my depth perception to be intact and normal, especially after passing it at an OD. So my question is what specifically will I need to send to my processor after my appointment to send back? Will it be a signed letter from the doc, or a page of the results from the test? I don't want to go in there blind and say I need a waiver for the Navy and not know what I need to turn in after. Is there a certain "type of test" that needs to be administered by him? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Luckily my packet is already at board. Knowing that the selection board doesn't intervene with medical is a good thing. Hopefully I get the Pro'Rec and will be waiting for approval for this waiver....

nombrescreeno

So I have a question...A couple months back I went to an Optometrists office to get an eye exam to prove MEPS was wrong when they wrote me up for 20/50 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Came out that I am indeed 20/20 in both eyes, near and distant acuity, and also passed everything else including the depth perception, pressure, glaucoma, the whole nine yards. Medical for the Navy wrote back that I wasn't cleared for depth perception and had to go back to MEPS to get it administered. Of course, they did not pass me. I made it to the C line. It is pretty frustrating now because I have to go to an Opthamologist now to get the waiver. I've read numerous posts on here about similar situations. I believe my depth perception to be intact and normal, especially after passing it at an OD. So my question is what specifically will I need to send to my processor after my appointment to send back? Will it be a signed letter from the doc, or a page of the results from the test? I don't want to go in there blind and say I need a waiver for the Navy and not know what I need to turn in after. Is there a certain "type of test" that needs to be administered by him? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Luckily my packet is already at board. Knowing that the selection board doesn't intervene with medical is a good thing. Hopefully I get the Pro'Rec and will be waiting for approval for this waiver....

Check the aeromedical waiver guide for depth perception.... I believe the stereopsis test to 40 arc seconds is ncessary. A letter from your doc saying so will likely be necessary