• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Currently at the Citadel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Integer, Thanks for the laugh! I'll add that to my list of stupid things that kids say!

confused_pilot

To add a little late fuel to the dying fire. I am NROTC, rejected by the academy, and quite happy about that. As far as academy grads being pricks, I can only relate the hersay I have heard. However, I am on a medical LOA from school, and have gotten the opportunity to interact with the future academy grad aviators, by instructing them in IFS. Some of these soon to be officers have it down pat, they give respect where respect is due(ie. to me their instructor), but others get their panties in a bunch after they find out I am 19, and ROTC. As where to go to school to get commisioned, just pick where ever you want to, some like me may get screwed a little bit on their first choice if there is a cheaper option for the navy, but it always works out. My major is aviation, my classroom is 3000ft in the air, it doesnt get much better when the navy has shelled out an extra $50grand. Sure, the cornfields of Illinois arent all that exciting, but I know how to fly a plane and well. I know the navy wont care that I am going to P-cola (eventually, and hopefully) with over 1000 hours of flight time under my belt, mostly in a semi-military setting(the chief pilot flew A4's an AV8's), but it can only help me as a pilot. Also, besides the lack of people skills some of these so called leaders leave the academy with, a lot of the ones when they first start flying have never been far from the yard. Some, not all lack the common sense knowledge that the rest of the world takes forgranted. Everyone is stereotyped, and there is alway an exception, but the academy is my opinion is a officer factory, as is any ROTC battalion. They are there to become officers, not to get a personality. Now you cant force them to like people, but once they get out and interact with other people that have personalities, most pick up quick. As a flight instructor out here, there's always going to be the two that stick out most however, both women oddly enough "I am a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy, I went to the U.S Naval Academy and you WILL call me Ma'am", my reply(supported in full by that LT COL. USMCR chief pilot), "not if you want to learn how to fly." and the best, me (after listening to this girl whine for about an hour) "so if its sooo bad, why do you go there" her "cause its the naval academy and you knew it would suck applying but you just do it because there is nothing better, and I mean I know you are ROTC, but I just dont respect that." (She was taken out of IFS, and lost her SNA slot to become and NFO) Now there have been many more good ones, but the bad ones make the name.

BYPASS

BTW, I went to USNA summer science seminar in 1990. Do they still have that plebe simulation night?

Yes Phrogdriver, it's still going strong. They have it the last night.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As the Great Santini once said,"God, why did you put so many jerks in the world at the SAME TIME?!?"

A**holes come in all shapes, sizes, genders, races, alma maters, and commissioning programs. I'd venture to say they're distributed almost equally.

You take a jackass and give him an education and a uniform, you'll end up with an educated jackass wearing a uniform. Most will learn a lot during the first year or two in the real world. Those that don't fall by the wayside one way or another.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
I can't wait until Integer uses that "You must be jealous of my ring" line on his first Master Chief. I'd love to be there. LOL

LT G. A very satisfied state school grad who's going to Pensacola...

petescheu

In my humble opinion, honestly I think pretty much anyone who makes a comment about another commissioning program that they have never been through, regardless of what it is or where they came from, is going a long way in exercising their own ignorance.
"A better choice than USNA?" I have a lot of respect for people that go to the Citadel and VMI... those are the last of the reals, as far as I'm concerned... well out of the media spotlight, where they can still actually train in a very stressful environment. I wish that's how all of the military would train, but I'm not in charge, and honestly, I haven't dealt with enough people from there to know if the end product is any better. But have you ever even been to Annapolis? Have you ever walked around the yard or spent a week with any of the Mids? What about OCS? Have you been to Pensacola and seen the kids walking around in their chrome domes? Or seen a graduation parade on the field there in front of the API building? Or been though a week of what they go through? Or talked to any of them? Or even spent a day in a "normal" (ie non-military, VA Tech, UNC, UNLV, etc etc) school's ROTC program? Gone to class with them when they have to wear their uniform the one day of the week and everyone looks at them like they're weird, especially if they are at a liberal school? Perhaps. But to make an overall statement like that based on a few things you've heard or read and maybe some people you've talked to is a pretty ignorant thing to do. And even if you have spent a week with them, do you really know what it's like to spend four years doing what they are doing, all so that they can get to the same place in the end? It reminds me of all my friends that are bleeding heart liberals and have never taken the time to educate themselves on the facts before opening their mouths to speak about politics and Iraq and foreign policy or the president.
Which is really irritating, because I know that there are a huge number of high school kids that visit this website want to be a Navy fighter pilot. So they come here, looking for advice on what to do and where to go and what's the best way to accomplish that. And they read the garbage that you post. And it influences them- a lot more than you probably think. Although you probably never even considered that before you wrote your little piece anyways. So watch what you say, because your little comment just bleeds of stupidity.

Integer

Banned
Like I said, I doubt academy grads act holier.. It is at least as likely, or more so, that it is the enlisted and other officers who feel weaker enough to start making comments about that, and are the ones putting the a-grads above themselves! Also, how many officers were rejected from the academy who might be p/o? In conjunction with that, I want to say it's very stupid for someone who was rejected from the academy himself to say the academy is a worse choice than another school he is now attending. You lose credibility for saying negative things about it without taking even one class there just by opening your mouth, but then the bias and 'I was rejected and want to feel better' factor kicks in and shows that there is nothing positive to see in your post. You suggest you are helping people, but you are just showing how jealous you are.

If you wanted to say there is an option, you could have simply done that. Suggesting that prospective students avoid the academy, or else they will be labeled an a-hole, is stupid, biased, and immature. It shows jealousy right there.

And, I'm sure you don't have to worry about academy grads 'doing their jobs for respect.' I think the doubt on performance falls on OCS and ROTC people, as half of the academy grads become lifers and something like 9% of OCS people become lifers. They must be doing something right and care about their jobs, right?

So let's not trash the hardworking midshipmen, whether or not you are rejected.

Another thing--60% or more of USNA students get a commission. They also have good academics. Your facts and percentages don't seem to point in favor of the citadel even statistically!

Finally, when I say 'you', I am addressing all of the academy haters on this forum, who can't stop talking about how there must be something BAD about midshipmen because you're no worse than them, so if they're in a different situation (especially a better situation and one many haters wanted), it must be that they are arrogant! Hey, if you guys could stop being so negative and insecure, you could function in life at a higher level and maybe 1) not have to worry about others so much, and 2) get ahead in life. I don't have a problem with anybody, but I can't stand negative talk. People just take themselves down, and dwelling on academy grads, putting them down, and probably teasing those who wear the ring in the fleet, are all negative things that demoralize the navy.

Many people are used to being negative because their family is negative, so they don't think much of it, but there should not ever be one negative, depresseing, self-loathing thought. I can just imagine the kind of atmosphere the Citadel might have if you guys just sit around feeling like a second fiddle to the USNA, and self-loathing so much that you have to put down the USNA on the internet and in school. If you realized that you are worthy and another officer-to-be instead of a second fiddle to a midshipman, and affirmed that every morning, you would definitely have a happier life. Thanks!

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Integer, I wasn’t bashing on the academy, you’re just a retard. If you really think like that, you will be destroyed in the fleet. The enlisted won’t care where your degree came from. When you go ranting about how anyone that makes fun of you must then therefore be inferior – there gonna fuk with everything you eat. If it happens to be a Master Chief, he will make you look stupid in front of everyone.
Rather than worrying about what school you go to, ask yourself what’s going to set you up to become a better officer. The academy is a very prestigious school, and they have the upper hand initially, but as phrogdriver was saying (from observations in the operating forces) after a few years the playing field evens out.
If you think I’m telling lies, then why don’t all the Academy guys get augmented out of school anymore? Why is the senior leadership making the junior officers prove themselves in the fleet before augmentation? Hmmmm…. Maybe they are more concerned with promoting the best person vs. the good ol boys club of the olden days.
Seeing as you aren’t in the academy, perhaps you should phrase the question as what will set me up to become the best person?
If you can get into the academy, by all means go for it, but the point is about your attitude – you should be looking at it as a means to an end rather than the end all be all.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the psychoanalysis, Integer. After almost 9 years in, 2 conflicts, 6 contingency ops, over 100 combat flt hours, a department head job, and leading Marines, the source of my misery is finally revealed--I didn't get a Naval Academy ring. It's a curious argument you have there--the Academy is great, and if someone says he's equal to an Academy grad, then he's actually the one with a problem because he has an inferiority complex. It's not exactly circular logic, but it's pretty close. Good thing you weren't with the civil rights movement in the 60s--"You black people say you're equal, so you must actually want to be white."

Integer is apparently one of two things. He may be a provocateur, someone who goes on msg boards expressing outrageously stupid opinions just to piss everyone else off. Congratulations, you did it.

On the other hand, he could just be a high school junior who doesn't know the color of sh*t, read about USNA, and is so starstruck he can't take any criticism of it. If that's the case, he'd be well advised to listen to the pretty much unianimous opinion of the board in regards to the equivalence of other commissioning programs. One of the biggest things you can learn in life is to admit when you don't know something. If you haven't been in the military yet, perhaps you should listen to those who are already there.

Lastly, I don't think there's been a single "academy-hater" on this forum. Everyone has just stuck up for his own commissioning source. Which source gives the best training is a subject for legitimate debate. If you want to try to play head-shrinker, though, and ascribe some BS motivation to my opinions, you'd be better off shutting your man-pleaser and letting the adults talk for awhile.

Integer

Banned
Relax.

Look, the facts are that we have an Academy forum and several people bust in and post how 3 people HEARD that the students are typically personalityless, arrogant, etc.. What does that do for morale? If I was an NFO, what right would I have to go to the Pilot forum and say, "don't become a pilot, [I heard] they are arrogant/people don't like academy types!" and generalize like that... especially when (in both cases) it would be without actually meeting even one midshipman/pilot--just spreading rumors! I am surprised more people did not take offense.

I undestand that although the original comment wasn't intending to, the general tone of the thread is definitely making a joke of the flagship school and your fellow graduates in service.

Would those are, go to Maryland to say what they think to 5,000 midshipmen? I doubt it, so why ask me the same stupid question, especially when I am the one defending and others are the ones provoking.

I agree with something a recent poster said. The school you came from means less and less as other accomplishments fill the void, especially when their graduates have exemplary achievements later in life. This is true about all universities, including civilian. But related things do count, though, such as USNA applicants (whether accepted or not) and even people who drop out after two years at USNA show they wanted to take the hardest journey that they believed would prepare them the most to serve the country. What some people are missing is that IT doesn't matter if freaking Harvard is actually the best at naval preparation, or citadel, or whichever other college--the academy applicants applied because they WANTED THE MOST CHALLENGING PATH POSSIBLE TO PREPARE THEM TO DIE FOR THEIR COUNTRY AND THAT WAS THE ONE THEY KNEW WAS BEST IN MEETING THAT GOAL. So that does count. But I agree that if you are truly so dedicated, it will also show in accomplishments in the service, regardless of where the officer went to college, such as what did they do at the college and what did they do in the service . In fact, it will probably show in all of the person's life's accomplishments, too. But let's not forget that the USNA midshipmen do have those lifelong accomplishments which is how they got into the USNA. They will carry those through to the service which they would have even if they went to a different college. Thus, the advantage a USNA grad officer might have wouldn't stem from their school, but the fact that they are hard workers anyway. In that way, there is an advantage-- which is that midshipmen were preselected to have higher accomplishments against the average accomplished officer, one who might have applied but didn't get in. You are never 'competing' for rank against their COLLEGE, you are competing with them on their hard work, I agree on that. (Doesn't that mean that the Citadel shouldn't even be mentioned since its one of a billion colleges that can get you into the navy where you can become an admiral?)

I am not saying the USNA is better than others, I'm actually AGREEING with the fact that the college name doesn't matter so much by saying that the CITADEL isn't better than others. You see?

Actually, I am probably the most into accomplishments versus college grades than any of you or anybody you've ever met in your life (which I don't care about, I am looking forward to many more.) I understand that college is what you put in and get out of it. But I do respect those who have the goal of putting their intelligence towards academical pursuits at a high quality institution, such as the USNA, who attends that school not because of the NAME, but because that is where the student will be able to learn the most. (IE Harvard or MIT not for the NAME, but the reputation of putting people through learning.) And I want to join those people at a certain college not for the NAME, but for the education and opportunities I will have to take and give back, as evidenced by all the stuff I've done already. My school does not give me (and wouldn't give most of you) any intellectual stimulation, which is why I need to move up and which is why I have spent a lot of time on getting other things out of college other than learning.

What I'm saying is : 1) no, I'm not a high school junior (my typing sucks cause its 3am), and 2) most midshipmen didn't join to be "from the USNA", but because the academics, athletic opportunities, and military lifestyle fulfilled their goals more than any other college, and serving as an officer fits with what they would like to do with the rest of their life. NOT because they think they will hang the degree in a picture frame off of their bed (if there's no office) on a ship--I don't think that 99.9% of the midshipmen are stupid and think that the degree is the be all-end all. (Though I've heard that funny story about a woman telling people she was from the USNA for respect lol) We all know that any degree won't directly help you in the Navy anyway, it's just to make you a well-rounded person in a major that you won't even use. So why would the USNA go around thinking that their degree is worth anything to their subordinates?

I doubt they think that. They just want the best leadership training they could think of.

BTW Well said phrogdriver, but I'm not the one touting the USNA as the best, just defending it. The provocateur was clearly this citadel thread. I believe and understand that there are equal choices, like BDCP, USNA, NROTC, OCS, enlisted->officer, NUPOC, which depend on the student's personal preference. But what I don't believe in is when touting a particular program, people trash another commissioning source to make theirs sound better, instead of just saying what's better about their program. Every statement here was all hearsay. Also, people saying it were ones who were rejected from the school. Plus other posters weren't even comparing the schools, just trashing the USNA. Given the lack of credibility, this thread shouldn't even exist. It's just to vent against the USNA. As I've said in other posts, there could have been less offensive ways to suggest other commissioning sources.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Generally speaking, no-one outside of S. Carolina gives 2 sh*** if you went to "El Cid". Great for the Sons of South Carolina, meaningless and perplexing otherwise. Same holds true for VMI. As for Academy types, there education is known as top tier, essentially on par with any in the country (personally I went the 2nd or 3rd tier route).

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Integer, that last post was actually semi-cogent. I would also posit that going to NROTC at a top university (e.g. Duke, Penn, MIT, Cal, etc.) is just as much of an accomplishment as going to the academy. If you really want to do things the hard way, try enlisting in a difficult MOS for a while, then becoming an officer.

PS I've never thought of preparing to "die for my country." I prefer to prepare to make the other bastard die for his.

You can say that high achievers go to the academies and continue to be exceptional achievers forever, but sorry, the facts don't really bear it out. They are no more or less exceptional in the fleet than anyone else. The academies are GREAT INSTITUTIONS. They have good academics and military training. However, you seem to think that they're idealized towers of Spartan military virtue. Guess what, they're full of some hard workers, some slackers, some smart ones, some that are dumb but can toss a ball, etc., etc. They serve an important purpose, but no more important than NROTC or OCS.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Yes, I know that post-scripts usually come at the end. I just got careless using the "quick reply" window.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I am entering this thread a little late, haven't said anything previously since phrogdriver has hit everything dead on....

The (insert commissioning source of your choice) is a means to an end, whether you want to drive a couple thousand ton warship through the water, fly a multi-million dollar aircraft, jump out of same multi-million dollar aircraft and sneak around and blow stuff up, man the conn at periscope depth in the mediterranean, or grab your M16 and lead some devil dogs into the fray... People are proud of their institutions, and generally you are definitely going to see that around College Football season, god, I took a lot of grief this year for being a Gator, but damnit, its fun. One thing being in the military is going to teach you, is that it pays to have a thick skin.

All the avenues are going to prepare you for the real training you are going to get when you get your commission!! When you enter your community, that's when all the fun stuff starts, oh yeah!!

Whether OCS, Academy, NROTC, or an enlisted Commissioning program, they all have their unique advantages and disadvantages. But not one of them is going to stop you from going where you want to in the military. The questions that should be asked, as with any program, is if the University is going to be right for YOU, and is that what you want to do with your life for the next 4 years? I turned down an Academy slot my senior year in high school, I knew I wasn't ready for college, wasn't mature enough, and wanted something else. So, I enlisted in the Navy, freaked my parents out (my mom at least, my dad was proud, he was prior Army enlisted that worked his way up to Captain before getting out), and I haven't looked back since. Things would have been different if I would have taken that slot, I would be an senior O4 now, vice just making O3E, but I got to do a lot of other interesting things along the way, but in the end, this is was the BEST route for me.

For all those browsing the forum, and trying to find out what to do, and where to go, the best thing is to keep talking to people, read any info you can get your hands on, take tours of campuses, and get an idea of what to expect and where you will fit in! From the Academies to the ROTCs, active and retired Officers, you are going to encounter people who will talk you ear off and give you more information than ever wanted on their particular commissioning source, or college, not to mention what they did in the military. Seek them out, they are on this forum, a friend of the family, or a phone call away at the ROTC or Recruiting office. In the end, where you end up, you should be having fun, god knows I did at UF, and would gladly turn back the clock to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.