• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Currently at the Citadel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannaBEaP3gal

Does it really matter where you came from? Whether you are from the academy or NROTC, we all are commissioned Ensigns in the USNR, except, those of you academy kids, you have at least a 5 yr committment! Yeah, and my university doesn't force me to buy a ring so I show how much of an ass I really am out in the fleet!

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Well since we're mostly pilots, or want to be here, we're all looking at the same, longer than 5 year, commitment. And no, the Academy does not 'force' you to buy a ring. Nor do you have to wear it if you choose to buy one.

Enrique

Interger i don't know if you are talking to me but. I never bitch at any moment, but if you think I was you really have a problem. sorry my friend but, just because a college student or and officer did not attended the cademy it wont make stupid or it means that you are stupid.

Many of you are officer, And I wonder when you walk around with you bars. DO they say I'm a academy grad NO do elisted people care NO. If you get the job done it's all it matters.
bouncy_125.gif

We talk for ever about all this b..s but we know the end. We are all going to die for the same values and country.

Or do you guys think just because you are from the acedemy the bullest will stop flying over you heads, because you told the enemy you are academy grad. come on..
bigmouth_125.gif

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I think the thing about enlisted people that others are talking about is how they are treated by some, and I do mean some, Academy grads. It tends to make for a sterotype

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that Academy guys get stereotyped because there are a lot of them, and they are a little easier to identify. If someone else craps on a sailor or Marine, no one is tempted to say, "Oh, those Ohio State grads are pricks." If the same thing is done by an Academy grad, people say it's because of his college. We can toss around the pros and cons of military school all day...just be yourself, and always do the right thing. Your degree could be in basketball science from Ballsack State, and no one is going to care in the vaunted "fleet."

Integer

Banned
According to some argument for keeping the academies, the main reason proponents cite for doing so is to attract high caliber students to the military. In my opinion, this means that if such a student learns about the academy, gets excited about the military, but graduates from another college to enter the military (like you)--it's Mission Accomplished for the military. Whether a high quality person attends an academy or not, the DOD couldn't care less. It is advertising. This actually works well, as there are only a thousand spots every year at an academy. When many more thousands become interested in military service and are motivated to improve themselves for the academy but are denied, and take a path through another college, that is awesome for DOD because they did not have to give these people a free ride (with exceptions.)

Nowadays, with television, helping to put a face on the Navy is the Naval Academy's football team, this argument about the NA being an important recruiting tool holds truer. Televised football games bring the military to people's living rooms under guise of a simple college team. A strong football team is of course sought, so 40 of the few spots at the Naval Academy Preparatory School are saved for football players who have been given scholarships to play for other universities. Yes, this takes away spots from more academically gifted students, but the point of the Academy is to present a positive public image. Thus, the public and the military expect a lot from academy graduates--sometimes unrealisticallyputting a lot of pressure on these people.

Part of the way academy graduates are treated stems from jealous enlisted and officer coworkers. Anybody who has all this hate for a-grads just because they did not make it and know people who know someone who knows someone who did not like an a-grad because he wears a ring must be extremely jealous. It means that all a-grads suck, right? And you also seem to have a problem with this 'a-grads are better', but you are the one who sees yourself as less of a man to have to say "we are all equal on the boat." I don't think a-grads count themselves higher, I think you just feel lower and have to make a comment about it. I don't think the civilian world thinks of the military in terms of academy or even in terms of officers and enlisted. They just see people putting their lives on the line in other countries. Though some a-grads might want to wear their rings, it is other crew members who are worse when they are concerned with with distinguishing themselves as "I'm not worse than him!" every time an a-grad walks by. Dude, nobody said you aren't equal. You imagine it. Maybe every time yo usee an a-grad you think, "damn if I had that ring I would have been promoted already." Or, he wouldn't have reached commander if he wasn't wearing that ring. Stupid thoughts that you have to reply to to make yourself feel better, when none of them were suggested in the first place but for your own imagination.

BYPASS

Don't be too hard on Phrogdriver. Everyone has an opinion and it may not be to your liking. We're all fighting for the same cause here. Integer, how did you get your info on NAPS football player spots? I know NAPS does leave a certain amount of slots open for the recruited and enlisted, but they also leave a few for us guys (god willing) that don't get the appointment the first time around. Did you receive a USNA catalog with your application. There's quite a bit of information in it regarding NAPS.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Was that load directed at little ol' me? Believe me, I don't need by ego validated by some boot. I was trying to help you academy guys out. One, there may be enlisted who are jealous of officers in general, but if you find a single one jealous of academy grads in particular, drinks are on me. Two, if you think your degree makes a difference, you haven't spent one day in the fleet. I tend to think that Integer hasn't been to the academy, or in the military, or he'd know this.

The military does some cool stuff. If you want to get started on that stuff while going to school, if that turns you on, that's great. If you want to get your swerve on instead and go to Big State U, fine. If you think either one will matter one iota in terms of respect, promotions, or anything else, you're hallucinating. Yes, the USNA guys have the saluting bit down pat, but everyone seems to catch up pretty soon. I'm an IP, and see every kind coming down the pike, and I can tell you, there is no correlation between school and success. Go to the school that will make YOU happy and teaches the subject that YOU want to learn.

BTW, this doesn't apply to the USAF--they give the shaft to their OCS/ROTC guys.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your degree could be in basketball science from Ballsack State, and no one is going to care in the vaunted "fleet."

Well said Phrogdriver, everyone who goes in the military will learn this sooner or later. There was a LCDR in the squadron we relieved that graduated from Berkeley with a double major in French literature and Women's Studies. Other than than the obvious jokes, it was not a big deal. It is a non-issue that I don't see come up.

Yeah, and my university doesn't force me to buy a ring so I show how much of an ass I really am out in the fleet!

I proudly wear the ring that I earned from my school, does that make me an ass?

BYPASS

phrogdriver - It's nice to hear from someone who's "been there, done that" (and still doing). I believe Integer is applying to the Academy, but I don't know if he has ever been there yet. While attending the summer seminar, I didn't bask in the fact that I was at "The Academy". It was just great being with a bunch of guys and girls who most (I say most because there were some that realized they weren't cut out for the military life) were thrilled with the idea of serving their country and one day joining the fleet. Even though I enjoyed attending the Seminar immensely and have applied to the Academy, it makes no difference to me how I earn the stripes. In the end, we're all gonna end up in the same boat.
Flash - Of course you're not an ass for wanting to wear the ring you worked so hard to get. I'm looking forward to the day I can proudly wear mine...wherever I graduate.

ParrotHead

Something that I found to be intersting is that the Thunder Birds' flight leader is an NROTC grad with less flight hours than some of the other Academy grad-Thunder Bird pilots. It doesn't matter where you come from, what matters is how well you do your job.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The T-birds flt lead went to Navy ROTC? Did he do an interservice transfer, or do you mean either AFROTC or the Blue Angels?

BTW, I went to USNA summer science seminar in 1990. Do they still have that plebe simulation night?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Where’s Splendid_Splenter when we need him. Integer, that was the most retarded statement I’ve heard. For the sake of the Naval Academy, I hope you’re not a member.
It’s people like you that give the academy "that" name. God help you when you get to the ship, I can only imagine what you’ll be drinking down with your coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.