• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

badger16

None
You have to have blonde hair, blue or green eyes and be no taller than 5'10" to get jets quote]

Unless....
topgun2.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The figures on "buttock circumference" were illuminating.

And why are all the exemplars for the measurements shirtless dudes? In our equal-opportunity Navy and Marine Corps, I think a woman in her underwear would be perfectly appropriate!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The figures on "buttock circumference" were illuminating.

And why are all the exemplars for the measurements shirtless dudes? In our equal-opportunity Navy and Marine Corps, I think a woman in her underwear would be perfectly appropriate!

I seem to recall that the principal investigators were all women. Guess that's the way they liked their subjects....;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only height-only cutoff I know of is for E-2 NFO. 5'4" and below is "disqualed" for reach-up-pull-the-ditching-hatch purposes. However comma it's not an official NOMI anthro thing, just an arbitrary measurement. If you're a hobbit and really want to fly E-2s, they'll fit-check you; they just take you up to Norfolk, toss you in the back of a RAG bird and have you pull and replace the hatch a few times. Mrs Fester is 5'0" and could do it.

I know most folks wouldn't cry themselves to sleep were they disqualed from E-2s, but for smaller NFOs who are below mins for ejection seats, it'd be your only way to a Boat community.

HuggyU2

None
I'm told the Navy has an Anthropometric Research/Operational/Whatever unit, maybe a Pensacola, that are devoted full time to cockpit/anthro issues. If anyone has a phone # or other contact info, could you post it for me?

lov2playlax22

Measurements?

Unbelievably bad gouge. I've posted this before, enjoy.

*Note*, these are from CNRC's site and may not accurately reflect the recent changes for EA-6B sitting height. Hopefully this will clear up some of the misconceptions in this thread.

ANTHRO REQUIREMENTS:

FOR MALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches
FOR FEMALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 33.5 inches, but less than 38.8 inches
FOR SNFO (MALE OR FEMALE):
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 27.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: 20.5 inches or greater
3. Sitting Height: 32 inches or greater
The following guidelines give directions as far as height concerns. Generally an applicant between 66" and 74" will be compatible for all pipelines.

FOR SNA:
1. IF 64 INCHES OR GREATER, BUT LESS THAN 76 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH AT LEAST TWO PIPELINES (SOMETIMES THREE)

2. IF GREATER THAN 76 INCHES, BUT LESS THAN 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ONLY ONE PIPELINE (NORMALLY PROPS), BUT POSSIBLY TWO PIPELINES (DEPENDS ON SITTING HT).

3. IF LESS THAN 64 INCHES:
• SAFE ANTHROPOMETRICS COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY PIPELINE IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

• INDIVIDUAL IN QUESTION SHOULD BE SENT TO NOMI FOR OFFICIAL ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION BY NASC FLIGHT PHYSIOLOGIST
FOR SNFO:
1. IF BETWEEN 64 INCHES AND 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SITTING HEIGHTS GREATER THAN 37.4 INCHES.

2. IF BETWEEN 60 INCHES AND 64 INCHES:
MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE T-2, F/A-18, AND EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH FUNCTIONAL REACHES LESS THAN 27.5 INCHES (T-REX ARMS).

Brett

Hey Brett,

That seems to be some really helpful info. I really appreciate you helping everyone out like that. I have a question for you since you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. I have a Thumb-tip Reach of ~31", Buttock Knee Length of ~22", and a sitting height of ~36". I am 5'7 and 3/4" tall, and weight about 165-170 lbs. Do you know of any aircraft that I may be restricted from flying? I would greatly appreciate what you think.

Thanks,
Drew
(SNA Select)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Brett,

That seems to be some really helpful info. I really appreciate you helping everyone out like that. I have a question for you since you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. I have a Thumb-tip Reach of ~31", Buttock Knee Length of ~22", and a sitting height of ~36". I am 5'7 and 3/4" tall, and weight about 165-170 lbs. Do you know of any aircraft that I may be restricted from flying? I would greatly appreciate what you think.

Thanks,
Drew
(SNA Select)

Well.......if you look at the numbers you seem to be good to go. As a rather normal sounding person I would be surprised if you were disqualified from any aircraft.