• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

FLY_USMC

pilot
I know a female Phrog pilot whos hips are so wide it HAD to be a determining factor on her selection, unless they make fleet jets in doublewide?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Harrier, I understand what your saying and am also at a loss for why the numbers would be different for gender. It would be interesting to hear the logic behind that (assuming there is some).

phrogpilot73

My guess is that there is a larger number of fully qualified male applicants versus female applicants. I would also guess that the women's Anthros probably indicate what is REALLY the minimum measurements to reach everything, and that the men's is just another tool to reach the numbers desired/required...

getmeinaf18

FOR MALE SNA:

1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

This is what measurement I came up with:

Thumb tip = 30.75" (1.25" over min)
BKL = 22.25" (only 0.25" over min!)
Sitting = 36" (2" over min and 2.8" under max)

I took the BKL a bunch of times to make sure it was accurate. My friend and I did the best we could, using OPNAVINST 3710.37A. Does anyone know where I can get professionally measured locally, right now? Whould being shorter help keep a pilot awake during high Gs?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This is what measurement I came up with:

Thumb tip = 30.75" (1.25" over min)
BKL = 22.25" (only 0.25" over min!)
Sitting = 36" (2" over min and 2.8" under max)

I took the BKL a bunch of times to make sure it was accurate. My friend and I did the best we could, using OPNAVINST 3710.37A. Does anyone know where I can get professionally measured locally, right now? Whould being shorter help keep a pilot awake during high Gs?

The minimums wouldn't be the minimums if they weren't good enough. It sounds like you're good to go.

If you are near a base and can get ahold of an aviation physiologist you might be able to convince tham to do it on their own time. Bribes in alcohol work best.

When you get measured and fit-checked someday (for real), be sure to sound convincing and positive without coming across as a bullshitter. It worked for me (the opposite problem. I'm 6'4")

Shorter people supposedly have better G tolerance because their heart and their brains are closer together physically. It's easier for your blood to be pumped to your brain because of the shorter trip.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Harrier, I understand what your saying and am also at a loss for why the numbers would be different for gender. It would be interesting to hear the logic behind that (assuming there is some).

Women's hips sit higher than men's, which makes their leg/height ratio higher.

Basically, on average a shorter woman would be able to reach the pedals, hence the lowered "sitting height."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Whould being shorter help keep a pilot awake during high Gs?

What makes you think you'll be pulling high g's if you make it into the program? Maybe we could put pillows or books behind you so you can reach the rudder pedals??

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Women's hips sit higher than men's, which makes their leg/height ratio higher.

Basically, on average a shorter woman would be able to reach the pedals, hence the lowered "sitting height."

OK. Without devolving into the "what is 0 G" type disussion, butt-to-knee length and butt-to-top-of-head distance are irrespective of where your hips are.

Let's say that person A is 50%legs and 50% torso/head. If that persons legs reach the pedals and its head fits under the canopy, it fits.

If person B is 90% legs and 10% head/torso, and all of the same criteria are met, then they fit too. Granted, this would be a weird looking person, but they measure all of your different parts individually. It's not just about height.

Anything that you "saved" in butt-to-knee length because of leg/torso ratio you would "lose" in sitting height. Either way, it doesn't matter if you are male of female.

I think that whoever said that it was about recruiting numbers and opening up the size of the female applicant pool makes more sense.

getmeinaf18

What makes you think you'll be pulling high g's if you make it into the program? Maybe we could put pillows or books behind you so you can reach the rudder pedals??

I will excel in the program, I will need to pull high G's, and according to the the numbers on the previous page, an F/A-18 will fit on me like a glove.

phrogpilot73

I think that whoever said that it was about recruiting numbers and opening up the size of the female applicant pool makes more sense.
Wow, you just agreed with me. I'm going to have to mark today on the calendar ;)

The only other reason (outside of a force shaping tool) that I can think of would be if women's eyes are placed/angled in their heads differently then men. That would account for why they be the extra 1/2" shorter. But I don't think this is the case...