• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

Lawman

None
I just rub my personal defense rounds on these before I load them:

blue_dart_poison_frogs_lg.jpg

Yeah but if you were extra crazy like me you'd be sitting in a bathtub with hollow points, cyanide and a burning candle...

TBinder

corrosive ammo

I've been collecting C&R for years and shoot mostly milsurp corrosive ammo in my bolt action and pistols because they are easy to clean. It's cheap and I have a lot of it. I use diluted household ammonia when finished to neutralize the effects of the corrosive primers and then clean them like any other. Make sure to clean the bold face. My K98s, Enfield’s, '03 Springfields, Mosin Nagants were all designed to digest corrosive ammo and I haven’t experienced any frosting of their barrels.

I usually shoot non-corrosive ammo in my M1 Garand, SVT-40 and Hakin if I don’t plan to field strip and thoroughly clean them after a day shooting. If they are to get the thorough cleaning then I shoot them with milsurp corrosive.

Check out http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp for their article on Corrosive primers.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I don't shoot anymore. It's just too expensive these days. After buying ammo, targets, gas to the range, and range fees, i'm over $100. I'd rather rent a Cessna or spend it on some cheap hookers and blow.

Something needs to be done about this.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old news . . . it was a bureaucratic snafu which has been rectified. No need to jump at shadows.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/03/18/dod-brass-ban-lifted/

And I dont' know where you shoot, but $100? Really?? I go to the Pace public range and have been thinking about checking out Styx River. Say $20-30 in ammo, $11 in range fees, and $10 at most to get there and back. That's like $40.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't shoot anymore. It's just too expensive these days. After buying ammo, targets, gas to the range, and range fees, i'm over $100. I'd rather rent a Cessna or spend it on some cheap hookers and blow.

Something needs to be done about this.

So, let me get this straight. The US Government, which had essentially been subsidizing the ammunition manufacturers by selling their spent brass at bargain rates, is now rescinding that practice. I would have thought that all you small government folks (including me) would be overjoyed at the demise of this welfare state policy, no? Or are you only into small government policies when they don't inconvenience you? You can't have it both ways.

So, C420, exactly what do you propose should "be done" about this?

The reason ammo prices are through the roof these days is mostly because of the chicken little crowd's reaction to the new administration. Hope you're happy.

Brett

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, let me get this straight. The US Government, which had essentially been subsidizing the ammunition manufacturers by selling their spent brass at bargain rates, is now rescinding that practice. I would have thought that all you small government folks (including me) would be overjoyed at the demise of this welfare state policy, no? Or are you only into small government policies when they don't inconvenience you? You can't have it both ways.
It's also a more efficient use of taxpayer resources, because the brass is worth more as brass, even at "bargain rates" than as scrap metal.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
...words...

I was referring to ammo prices overall, and the scarcity of most popular calibers. You'd think that manufacturers would expand and jack up production, but I guess it's just as easy to make the profits by keeping supply low while demand shoots through the roof?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was referring to ammo prices overall, and the scarcity of most popular calibers. You'd think that manufacturers would expand and jack up production, but I guess it's just as easy to make the profits by keeping supply low while demand shoots through the roof?
Actually, many media reports have confirmed that many manufacturers are operating 3 shifts to meet demand. I know Magpul and many of the ammo manufacturers are, because they've admitted it. You can't just make heavy industrial equipment appear out of thin air, or the workers to operate it. I'm also sure that they are leery of investing significant capital to expand their operations when the stroke of a pen could make this a wasted expense. And I'm sure the current POTUS would be glad to make that pen stroke if he could.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We are JOPA. We are not here to help you anymore.

Please. You haven't been a member of a functioning JOPA since you left Mayport, and from the sound of it, you'll be at least an O4 select by the time you hit the fleet. Face it - your JOPA days are behind you. Every time you shake your fist at hingedom, the sand of JOPA slips through your fingers.

Brett