• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

Bevo16

pilot
....You can always continue your search while you are waiting. I did that that with 1000k of 9mm a couple of months ago. I actually had forgotten about it until I saw the shipping notice. It sure was nice to have it last weekend.

You order 1000K rounds!!! :eek: and you FORGET about it!?!?

No f'ing wonder there is an ammo shortage with Rocketman buying a MILLION rounds of 9mm.

What did that shipping notice run you? Several grand? :D

I think you can be expecting a knock on your door from this guy pretty soon.

080320_ATF_raid_2.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
You order 1000K rounds!!! :eek: and you FORGET about it!?!?

No f'ing wonder there is an ammo shortage with Rocketman buying a MILLION rounds of 9mm.

What did that shipping notice run you? Several grand? :D

I think you can be expecting a knock on your door from this guy pretty soon.

It's your fault. You are the one that suggested the 9mm M&P Compact for my daughter. She's shooting me out of house and home with that thing.....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That we do, even though I don't reload. At least not yet.

even of you did reload it would not do you any good right now. Primers and powder are impossible to find right now.... there are people experimenting with refilling/reloading spent primers.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
even of you did reload it would not do you any good right now. Primers and powder are impossible to find right now.... there are people experimenting with refilling/reloading spent primers.

You know, I can see that being safe if done properly but damn does that sound like a tedious, pain-in-the-ass effort in futility.

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
Maybe there's a vital part to this equation that I'm missing, but why is there STILL a shortage? I've only had one introductory economics course, but the lessons I learned there and a basic sense of business tell me the ammo manufacturers should a) hire some more people and b) ramp up their production to meet the demand.

I was jonesing to shoot but it was impossible to find any ammo for my .45, so I ended up renting a gun shop's USP and buying their 9mm reloads. Boy did I get taken for a ride -- my girl and I shot for only an hour and we ended up shelling out $80. I went to Wal-Mart (I know, I know) and they haven't had any ammo aside from .22LR for months. The sporting goods clerk says the distributor is cleaned out, meaning the manufacturers simply aren't making enough rounds. Is there something I'm missing here? Why aren't these companies capitalizing on the ridiculously high demand?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The primer folks are working three shifts, but the capacity of the machinery is limited and the certifications for the workers take time to earn, so expanding capacity takes time and money. If this run on ammo lasts yeah, it'd make sense to invest in increased production.

But it likely won't, since people, if anything, are shooting less - i.e. reluctant to burn through their stocks of ammo. And it wouldn't make sense for a manufacturer to spend millions on excess capacity just to find prices taking a nosedive as people sell off their personal stockpiles.

Bevo16

pilot
Maybe there's a vital part to this equation that I'm missing, but why is there STILL a shortage? I've only had one introductory economics course, but the lessons I learned there and a basic sense of business tell me the ammo manufacturers should a) hire some more people and b) ramp up their production to meet the demand.

Is there something I'm missing here? Why aren't these companies capitalizing on the ridiculously high demand?

There has been ammo at Wal-Mart, you just have not been there to see it. Some stores have a first come first served policy, others have a waiting list, others will let you know when the truck is going to show up and you can be there to meet it. The deal is that the smart people are buying all they can afford right now. I know people who have bought multiple thousands of handgun rounds in the past few months.

Add that to the tens of thousands of new handgun owners in the past few months, and all of the ammo that those guys are going through, and consumption is at an all time high. The local ranges here in Tennessee will not allow you to take their re-loads off site because they can't afford to lose the brass.

The part of the business puzzle that is not on the surface is that manufacturers are not going to invest a ton of capital into new production equipment to meet demand that is not sustainable. Another problem that the ammo guys are facing is that they don't want to invest a ton of money into equipment just to have their business outlawed by the stroke of a pen.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Looks like I'm out of luck. All I have is one box of pmc and a few boxes of Winchester Ranger ammunition which I'm not going to use for target shooting for obvious reasons.

Bevo16

pilot
I just picked up 5 boxes of Winchester white box (100) 9mm at Wal Mart in Millington for $19.50 a box. They actually had a pretty good selection, and the girl at the counter said they got a shipment on Sunday that allowed them to fill up their ammo case. She joked that she was going to take a picture of it becase the case had not been full in months.

That $19.50/100 is $5.50 cheaper than what reloads are running at the range.

There was still 3 boxes of 9mm when I left, and 1 of 40S&W among other calibers. No .45ACP though. Dammit. That is what I went in there for.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I just picked up 5 boxes of Winchester white box (100) 9mm at Wal Mart in Millington for $19.50 a box. They actually had a pretty good selection, and the girl at the counter said they got a shipment on Sunday that allowed them to fill up their ammo case. She joked that she was going to take a picture of it becase the case had not been full in months.

That $19.50/100 is $5.50 cheaper than what reloads are running at the range.

There was still 3 boxes of 9mm when I left, and 1 of 40S&W among other calibers. No .45ACP though. Dammit. That is what I went in there for.

You should have bought a couple lotto tickets the same day. That is a lucky find! :)

nursesoon

Banned
Another problem that the ammo guys are facing is that they don't want to invest a ton of money into equipment just to have their business outlawed by the stroke of a pen.
I was just reading another thread about the ammo shortage here. http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=22927&page=2

So is everybody stocking up just because they think Obama is going to tax ammo out of existence with the more radicals thinking they need 4,000 rounds for the revolution when guns are banned.

My brother hasn't had any trouble finding shotgun shells for turkey hunting. My family owns a lot of hunting guns but never let anybody just target shoot if it wasn't at an animal because "ammo's expensive", so I never have.