• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about old fashioned Hoppes and swabs followed by a little Rem-Oil?
For non-corrosive ammo, sure. For corrosive, you need to neutralize or wash out the salts in the barrel which are put there by the corrosive primer. Otherwise, they will attract moisture and turn your bore red. Bad juju.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
For non-corrosive ammo, sure. For corrosive, you need to neutralize or wash out the salts in the barrel which are put there by the corrosive primer. Otherwise, they will attract moisture and turn your bore red. Bad juju.

If you clean pretty much as soon as you finish shooting, the corrosive ammo actually isn't hard to clean up. It's if you let it sit for much at all after shooting is when the red bore rears it's ugly head. If you're shooting a rifle without some sort of gas porting Hoppes or CLP will do the trick just fine.

*Edit. Yaay, my 1,000th post was about firearms! :)

Bevo16

pilot
DRT Ammo.

Dynamic Research Technology is the proper name, but the single report that I have gotten from the field says that they call it "Dead Right There". Here is their web link:

http://drtammo.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? It sounds like really cool stuff, but it is damn expensive.

Their store:

http://store.drtammo.com/

Nearly 2$ per round!?!?!? :eek: Those aren't plinking prices.

From what I understand, DRT works differently than all other ammunition. It has a heavy metal powder instead of lead to provide it's weight, and it is 100% frangible. Like we all know, most ammo makes a hole and deforms as it passes though the target. The effectiveness of the round is determined by the size of the hole. The problem is that a lot of the energy of the round is wasted (because it goes all the way through). These DRT rounds totally fragment and all of the energy of the round is dispersed into the cavity of whatever you hit. Instead of making a big hole, it causes a MASSIVE overpressure in the body of whatever you shoot. Basically, it makes their heart and blood vessels in the brain explode, causing instant death. It is not going to have much ability to penetrate, but for soft targets it sounds pretty lethal.

The spin stablity and accuracy is supposed to be off the charts. It's not even legal for match shooting.

Thoughts? Reviews? To damn expensive?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Dynamic Research Technology is the proper name, but the single report that I have gotten from the field says that they call it "Dead Right There". Here is their web link:

http://drtammo.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? It sounds like really cool stuff, but it is damn expensive.

Their store:

http://store.drtammo.com/

Nearly 2$ per round!?!?!? :eek: Those aren't plinking prices.

From what I understand, DRT works differently than all other ammunition. It has a heavy metal powder instead of lead to provide it's weight, and it is 100% frangible. Like we all know, most ammo makes a hole and deforms as it passes though the target. The effectiveness of the round is determined by the size of the hole. The problem is that a lot of the energy of the round is wasted (because it goes all the way through). These DRT rounds totally fragment and all of the energy of the round is dispersed into the cavity of whatever you hit. Instead of making a big hole, it causes a MASSIVE overpressure in the body of whatever you shoot. Basically, it makes their heart and blood vessels in the brain explode, causing instant death. It is not going to have much ability to penetrate, but for soft targets it sounds pretty lethal.

The spin stablity and accuracy is supposed to be off the charts. It's not even legal for match shooting.

Thoughts? Reviews? To damn expensive?

I will never pay 35 dollars for 20 rounds of .223

(well never say never with the current administration)

and 72 dollars for a box of 50 .40 rounds?

these guys are just out of their minds with that kind of pricing

Bevo16

pilot
Hornady TAP is $25-$28 per box. This is not that much more, and it's a totally new round. Expensive, yes. It's pretty much understood that it's not for plinking.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I dunno...I have never like frangible ammo as it tends not to penetrate far enough for a quick stop. Yea, the guy who gets hammered by this stuff will die, and probably before he can do any damage. I think I will stick with hydra-shocks.

Seen any penetration tests on this stuff? I did my own tests on a pig carcass or two with magsafe ammo (when they were using #6 shot instead of the #2 or #3 they use now) and was unimpressed with the penetration. Things might be better with the heavier shot...still, if your target is wearing a heavy coat, the frangible stuff may tend to disperse energy before hitting something important.

Bevo16

pilot
Seen any penetration tests on this stuff?

There are several videos on the site that show their tests with ballistics gel. The penetration prior to expansion is pretty impressive. I don't think this stuff is going to be be bouncing off of some thug's leather jacket.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The ballistics look interesting to me.

I'd love to get some in .38 SPL, so that I don't have to mix load my carry gun with HydraShok (for the big targets) and shot shells (for the rattlers).

The price is steep, but my piece of mind is worth a lot. My life: even more.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
There are several videos on the site that show their tests with ballistics gel. The penetration prior to expansion is pretty impressive. I don't think this stuff is going to be be bouncing off of some thug's leather jacket.

I'll have to look closer next time. :) Thanks.

Bevo16

pilot
I fixed the first link to take to the home page so the videos are easier to find.

My bad.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well, one thing's for certain - I won't be pissing off Irlene Mandrell any time soon. Apparently divorced twice and is the spokesperson for CZ-USA. I suspect she grew up learning to hunt, but she's evidently come a long way from her tv show days in the early 80's.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a friend years ago who put a drop of mercury (sealed with wax) in the tip of his HPs. He claimed it was much more devastating to ballistic gelatin than loads without.

How to make ballistic gelatin: http://www.customcartridge.com/pdfs/BallisticGel.pdf
Altering or handloading your personal defense rounds . . . BAD juju. I bet a lawyer would have a field day with the mercury.

Bevo16

pilot
Altering or handloading your personal defense rounds . . . BAD juju. I bet a lawyer would have a field day with the mercury.

I just rub my personal defense rounds on these before I load them:

blue_dart_poison_frogs_lg.jpg