• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Follow up to the original question. I got a chance to shoot the 30-06 sabot yesterday. At about 100 yards it shoots just like the 180 gr load it was last sighted in with. No noticeable problem with accuracy at that range. I was surprised at the amount of recoil. It was noticeably less then a 180 gr load, but more more then I thought it would be. I also shot my .44 mag hand gun and decided that would be the primary weapon for the hunt. I forgot how much fun it was. I'll bring the Model 70 with a box of sabot rounds just in case an opportunity presents it self.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Judging from your weapon choice, I would presume that you are anticipating a target within 25 yards. In that case wind would not even be a problem. I'm not sure how much of the small game will be left if you score a center mass with a .44 Mag...I suggest you bring a Tupperware Container.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Judging from your weapon choice, I would presume that you are anticipating a target within 25 yards. In that case wind would not even be a problem. I'm not sure how much of the small game will be left if you score a center mass with a .44 Mag...I suggest you bring a Tupperware Container.

Javelina, not likely over 50 yards, and yes it may be closer to 25 yards. I don't shoot game, center of mass. If I shot an mule deer center of mass, even with a 180 gr 30-06, it would run for miles. Admittedly, a javelina shot with a .44 mag, center of mass, will not run too far. But it isn't a clean kill by any means. And my lack of concern over losing some javelina meat has been covered earlier in the thread.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Cop Killer Bullets and the Assault Weapon Ban

The're baaaccck........see url

That didn't take long.

I wonder what I'm going to hunt deer with when every centerfire rifle round is labled a cop killer bullet because it will defeat a vest.

In '94 it was "we must save the children".

Now it's "we must save Mexico" from American guns.

Anyone care to guess what the UN's position on small arms proliferation is?

In the words of a former American pop star "we are the world.........."

(Tin foil hat back in box now)

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
At least the article pointed out these are semi-automatic weapons we're talking about...

WTF are cop killer bullets? Are they blue-seeking or something?

How might grandfathering work with all of this / where can I start reading. I still pay taxes in SOCAL, so maybe it's all in vain...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
At least the article pointed out these are semi-automatic weapons we're talking about...

WTF are cop killer bullets? Are they blue-seeking or something?

How might grandfathering work with all of this / where can I start reading. I still pay taxes in SOCAL, so maybe it's all in vain...

To the general public cop killer bullets are special rounds that travel fast enough to defeat a patrol officers vest. To you and me they are any centerfire rifle round that has ever been produced. Your grandfather's lever action 30-30 deer rifle shoots a cop killer round.

Will they ban 30-30 rounds? No, not in the end but it demonstrates how dangerous these people are.

Grandfathering and the transfer of existing "assault weapons" will be the big battle here. There will be no "sunset clause" this time around either.

I have everything I will ever need to buy in my lifetime. Just in case my next task is to transfer all of my nasty assault weapons to my children thru a licensed FFL dealer. That way this administration can't keep me from doing it after the ban passes.......

Good luck gents

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
No sunset clause? I should cash in my shitty stocks and invest in evil rifles.

No sunset clause is just my take on it. Who know's it may not even pass. What it will do is make it even more difficult to buy guns and ammo at reasonable prices.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder about this. I really do. We've known this was coming since the kerfuffle where it showed up on Obama's campaign site and then was redacted.

But the Democrats need 3 Republicans to break a filibuster in the Senate. In addition Senator Webb and other Democrats in Congress are not loony left-wingers when it comes to guns. Part of me wonders if there will be a decent fight over this or if it will just get rubber-stamped by the Obama-Pelosi-Reid triumvirate.

Although Exhibit A on why this country is really beginning to scare the hell out of me . . . using MEXICO as a reason to pass the bill. WHAT. THE. FUCK??? Since WHEN has the US Government been responsible for a foreign country? If they want to be subject to our laws, they should petition to be annexed into the country.

I really wonder what this place is going to look like when I reach retirement age sometimes . . .

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Although Exhibit A on why this country is really beginning to scare the hell out of me . . . using MEXICO as a reason to pass the bill. WHAT. THE. FUCK???

I especially liked how they tried to imply a link between the Mexican drug cartels use of automatic weapons and explosives with the Assault Weapons Ban...

...even though the AWB has absolutely nothing to do with either one?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I especially liked how they tried to imply a link between the Mexican drug cartels use of automatic weapons and explosives with the Assault Weapons Ban...

...even though the AWB has absolutely nothing to do with either one?
This is the whole reason that they got the so-called "assault weapon" ban passed. Ignorance. People think so-called "assault weapons" are fully automatic, and don't care enough to research. They don't own guns and probably think gun owners are a little bit crazy. Politicians play off their ignorance because it lets them look Tough On Crime and Willing To Do Something.

Remember the old epic poems from English Lit class? How Beowulf and Roland and all the epic heroes named their swords? And that Durandal or Hrunting were much more badass because they were the heros' swords? Or how frontiersmen in fiction (like Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans) named their rifles? Why?

Because to people who don't use them, a weapon is a talisman. It's what Carl Jung called an archetype. We have certain attitudes about very important things in our lives, like mothers, fathers, homes, etc. Weapons are one of those things. To someone who is familiar with weapons, they are tools. We understand their limitations and uses. But to a person who has never shot a gun, they don't understand that. They don't know why a deer rifle Dad used to hunt with will go through most body armor cops wear. Or why hollowpoint bullets are actually safer for bystanders than ball ammo. All they see is "Oh my god! He's got a GUN!" A gun to them is not an everyday part of their lives. It's a symbol of power and violence. It scares them because they don't understand how it is controlled. All they know is that people in the movies point it at someone, pull the trigger, and then the target dies. So they think that this is what goes on in real life. Terms like semiautomatic just scare them more, because they smack of jargon. They think that there are regular guns and semiautomatic guns, which are somehow more powerful.

This is why Congressmen who vote on an assault weapons ban think a barrel shroud is a "shoulder thing that goes up." (Google that if you want to raise your blood pressure) Why the Attorney General can talk about "cop-killer bullets," and why the term "assault weapon" even exists. People are trying to regulate things they don't understand, and which either scare them on a subliminal level, or which they realize they can use to gain power over the populace.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The one question I would pose to any of the dewy-eyed sheep that voted for this coming train-wreck is:

Why does this surprise anyone ... ??? :)

It's been job one forever w/ the incoming crowd ... assuming they all figure out how to pay their taxes and "get in" .... ???

Welcome to 1994 (a.k.a. the first "Assault" Weapons Ban ... )

Or is this "1984" ... ??? Orwellians arise ??? :)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This is the whole reason that they got the so-called "assault weapon" ban passed. Ignorance. People think so-called "assault weapons" are fully automatic, and don't care enough to research. They don't own guns and probably think gun owners are a little bit crazy. Politicians play off their ignorance because it lets them look Tough On Crime and Willing To Do Something.

Exactly correct. The common man who doesn't own a weapon and only gets their news in 15 second sound bytes believes everything they hear and questions nothing (about guns anyway) It's not "their issue".

That said Chucky Schumer and Dianne Feinstein know exactly what they are doing. (well maybe not Dianne but Schumer does)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Because to people who don't use them, a weapon is a talisman. It's what Carl Jung called an archetype. We have certain attitudes about very important things in our lives, like mothers, fathers, homes, etc. Weapons are one of those things. To someone who is familiar with weapons, they are tools. We understand their limitations and uses. But to a person who has never shot a gun, they don't understand that. They don't know why a deer rifle Dad used to hunt with will go through most body armor cops wear. Or why hollowpoint bullets are actually safer for bystanders than ball ammo. All they see is "Oh my god! He's got a GUN!" A gun to them is not an everyday part of their lives. It's a symbol of power and violence. It scares them because they don't understand how it is controlled.

One of the most important things we can do as gun owners is to take people who don't own or don't like guns shooting. I've done that many times in the past. Two things always happen. First, they have a great time and secondly they eventually either end up buying a weapon or at least don't see them as intrinsically evil.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
GODDAMMIT!

Article 88 Article 88 Article 88

Any repubs that crumble if this goes up for a vote need to be smoked HARD in their reelection bids. I'm already a member of the NRA, it's probably time to contribute a little more and get that lifetime member card. This bill needs to die on the floor.

That being said, can anyone point me in the right direction on where to order a reputable AR type rifle, or build my own? This is pure bullshit, on so many levels.