• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
30-06 sabot round

I have a javelina hunt coming up and I was going to take my .44 mag hand gun. But I have just acquired some 55 grain 30-06 sabot rounds (Remington Accelerator) and was thinking of trying those out. I will be using my Winchester Model 70. Last time it was sighted in was for 180 grain rounds and I am curious to see where it will shoot these things. I have never shot a rifle sabot round. Anyone have any experiences with these little hot shots?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I shot some when I was a kid. I remember seeing lots of flame come out of the end of the barrel and not much jackrabbit left for the dogs. Rounds on paper were not as consistent as others were.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I know javelina are pretty small but tough. My first thought is that I'd want to be sure the rounds didn't blow up and under penetrate. I'm sure that thing will be screaming down range so you'd want to be sure the sabot is shooting a tough bullet. My only experience is with shooting feral hogs and they are much larger so maybe it wont matter at all with javelina.

Damn, just looked it up. That thing has a MV of 4080 fps. Smokin!

Bevo16

pilot
What range was your scope zeroed in at with 180gr? If it's 100yd, you are probably going to be as close as you can get and it would not be worth messing with the scope.

I don't pretend to be a ballistics expert, but I have shot more than my share of those little black bastards. I have seen .22 magnum and .223 hollow points fragment on a javelina and not even slow one down. I would bring some more standard 30-06 just in case.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What range was your scope zeroed in at with 180gr? If it's 100yd, you are probably going to be as close as you can get and it would not be worth messing with the scope.

I don't pretend to be a ballistics expert, but I have shot more than my share of those little black bastards. I have seen .22 magnum and .223 hollow points fragment on a javelina and not even slow one down. I would bring some more standard 30-06 just in case.

Sighted in at 100 yards with the 180 grain rounds. I'm trying to decide if I NEED to go to the range and re-sight the thing. If it will be close, I'll just take it on the trip and take a couple shots in camp to verify where it is going. If I take the 30-06 I'll have some 150 grain rounds with me. I was trying to get away from dragging the heavy rifle around though. The .44 mag handgun will deal with a javelina just fine and it keeps my hands free. It is pretty rough where we are hunting. Still, sounds like fun sending a 4000 fps bullet down range 100 + yards to a surprised herd of javelina. I think I will bring the rifle just in case I feel the need for speed.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
wink, your post got me to thinking.....I have some saboted (sp?) bullets....I wonder what they would do coming out of my .300 mag? Hmm, gonna have to fire up the Rock Chucker this weekend and drag out the chrono.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink, your post got me to thinking.....I have some saboted (sp?) bullets....I wonder what they would do coming out of my .300 mag? Hmm, gonna have to fire up the Rock Chucker this weekend and drag out the chrono.

Lets us know. I am fascinated by the sabot option. There must be a reason we don't see that many of them.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow! Makes one wonder what the stability of that bullet is out past 100 yards once it spits the jacket. Given all the quirkiness of normal loads (depth of seating, distance from lands, etc) methinks not a lot of consistancy at those muzzle velocities.

That is why I wish I had the time to go to the range and really play with the things. If I was confident in it's performance I'd take a couple pokes at some coyotes at range.

Bevo16

pilot
Wink,

Mind if I ask where you are going? I know more than a few people in prime javelina land (which makes it prime for pretty much nothing else except fire-ants and jack-rabbits).

The speed of those rounds is just f'ing sick. I am sure that the accuracy has to take a hit with that kind of load. Flying through the 5th dimension can be tricky.

FlyinRock

BEVO
When the sabot rounds first came out, how many years ago, and called Accelerator, I was fascinated until I found accuracy went to crap in my rifles.
As far as the pigs go, not many shots are going to be past about 50 yards (they weren't when I hunted many times on the bosses ranch near Artesia Wells) and a rifle shot is iffy at best. In brush country of south Texas, a clear 100 yard shot is as rare as an honest democrat politician. (James Webb excepted).
I think it will be up to the shooter to do some serious range time to find out what his rifle does with those particular rounds and not rely on what someone reads in a magazine article or "my buddy told me .... " etc.
For all I know, he may have the ultimate gun that will digest any rounds and shoot to point of impact from 10 feet to 1000 yards without deviation or accomodation.
ahhh OTOH, I don't think so. For practical application, I'm not impressed with a round that was designed to address a non-existent problem.
Ol Shy and Bashful

Bevo16

pilot
Talked about killin pigs

I don't think that I have ever seen a jav any further than 50 feet from cover unless it was crossing a road. They just don't like open ground at all. When I was a youngster, we all had cheap-o Chinese SKS's or AK's and ATV's to chase them around. We also had some fun with some grenades that a local Vietnam Vet would make for us (he bought Army surplus dummy grenades, and made them live).

The idea of pushing a round at 4000fps when that is about 20+% higher than a standard round is just kind of crazy. Kind of like running alcahol race fuel in a diesel engine.

...and throwing live grenades at wild pigs made sense at the time. :eek: I know, I know. Red-neck..and all that stuff.

Oh well, live and learn.

FlyinRock

uuhhhh. grenades at pigs .........teenage stupidity and not to be confused with any kind of grownup activity like getting stuck on an ice flow in lake Michigan ......<gg> ummm not like I ever did any of that kind of dumb stuff....
Most of the javelina I saw were brief glimpses as they moved in the cactus and to be frank, I was more concerned with those huge 6' rattle snakes in the area. Still got one of the skins of that exceeds 6' that I klilled one night down there.
And the wild or feral hogs that exceed 600# and taste like offal.
A .44Mag is great on hogs or javelina, or whitetail, or cans, or anything else that gets under the sights. The trick is in hitting the selected target and not many can do that under stress conditions regardless of caliber or gun.
BTW, .44Mag from a 6" bbl can hit targets out to 600 yards and beyond. How badly the bullet will hit you is yet to be determined. I shot with Elmer Keith many years ago and we traded shots at an iron plate at 600 yards with our respective pistols. Got the pics to verify it..... 1969 Salmon,ID.
Sometimes its great to be an old guy...!!!!
Semper fi
Rocky