• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver thread

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I'm not too familiar with what a Pro-Rec is. Could you enlighten me? My recruiter is pretty confident that I will get in because I scored a 9/9/9 65 on the ASTB and my GPA was a 2.9 (ASTB definitely outways the GPA, I know).

You won't get a waiver unless you get that PRO-Rec first. When you apply to the board you will get a Pro-Rec (professionally recommended) if the Navy wants you otherwise you will get a non-select. Once you obtain this you complete more paperwork and other stuff to get a FS (final select). I don't know about others but being a prior service Navy guy with a very strong backing from some high ranking officers I was still unable to get an additional age waiver of just a couple months. Take it for what it is but the chances of you getting a age waiver presently without a Pro-Rec is almost non-existent. I’m not trying to ruin your hopes and dreams but I’m giving you a realistic outlook on the present situation. There are so many people applying to the Navy that doesn’t need an age waiver so why will they give you one? Because you have high test scores and a decent GPA? I am just saying I believe you should keep your options open.

On the plus side you and your OR are correct you do have good test scores. But remember that isn't the only thing the board looks at when they select people. So make sure the rest of your application is as good as though scores and you shouldn't have a problem getting a Pro-Rec but crazier things have happened in the past! Good Luck with everything.

Wambo

Thanks for the info. So are you saying that there is no way that I will be able to make these deadlines and that the only hope that I have is to get an age waiver? How backed up is OCS these days? What are the chances I will be able to make all of this happen without having to go through age waiver?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
So are you saying that there is no way that I will be able to make these deadlines and that the only hope that I have is to get an age waiver?

No, you have a small chance of everything falling in place perfectly. If that happens GREAT. If not, make sure you have a backup plan.

How backed up is OCS these days?

It depends on the designation. NAs for the most part are getting classed up before other designators. That being said it seems that individuals selected for NA in August, September, October, and November will be filling up the classes in January, February, March, April, May and more than likely June. You must also remember that the BDCP applicants will be filling the majority of the June board slots. If you are selected in April you will be slated for a FY' 12 spot more than likely. That means starting OCS in July. Thus, if you are trying to make it to OCS before late July your chances are diminishing every second your ducks do not line up in a row. You need to have everything done to have the fastest turnaround possible after you hear from the April boards. This means EVERYTHING done including the stuff required for a FS such as MEPS, background check, etc. If this does not happen the chances of receiving a Pro-Rec for NA is very small considering your age restrictions. I'm not saying it is impossible. I'm just saying you are looking at a VERY BIG HILL!

What are the chances I will be able to make all of this happen without having to go through age waiver?

Good Luck... That is about all I can say...

Wambo

Thanks. Could you tell me what exactly I will need to get done in order to get FS? I have already done all the eye, ear, drug, and physical tests at MEPS. What else is there to do there? I already did a background check as well. Why do I have to do another one? Also, at what point do you do the flight physical? I only ask this because I might have a cavity and I also still have all my wisdom teeth in. I would hate for a dental issue, to hold up the process. Should I just take care of all the dental issues out of pocket within the next couple months? I don't mean to be a "Worry Wart" or whatever, but it is getting down to the wire here and I want to be prepared for everything. Thanks guys.

GreenLantern330

Thanks. Could you tell me what exactly I will need to get done in order to get FS? I have already done all the eye, ear, drug, and physical tests at MEPS. What else is there to do there? I already did a background check as well. Why do I have to do another one? Also, at what point do you do the flight physical? I only ask this because I might have a cavity and I also still have all my wisdom teeth in. I would hate for a dental issue, to hold up the process. Should I just take care of all the dental issues out of pocket within the next couple months? I don't mean to be a "Worry Wart" or whatever, but it is getting down to the wire here and I want to be prepared for everything. Thanks guys.

Pretty sure this is done during indoc week at OCS.

DowntownJB

Greetings,

I am 28 years old, Former Marine Reservist of 6 years and currently hold a private pilot certificate. I am currently in contact with a Navy officer recruiter and applying for a position as a naval pilot. I do not graduate until this summer in July at which time I will be 28 and 1/2. I have specified this to the recruiter and also that my prior service was as a reservist and not active duty. I am taking the ASTB next week and submitting my package shortly after. The recruiter insists that I have a chance so long as I am selected by the board this year. Does anyone know if this information is accurate. I did serve voluntarily for 90 days of active duty aside from training if that makes a difference. The recruiter seems to be sure but I believe she may be misinformed. Everything I have read talks about age waivers for prior service active duty time not reserve time, either way if I ace the ASTB, have a stellar prior service record and high gpa could I be granted a waiver. Lastly, what other options are out there? I know the coast guard has a program I am eligible for, the air force and I believe the air national guard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeremy

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Greetings,

I am 28 years old, Former Marine Reservist of 6 years and currently hold a private pilot certificate. I am currently in contact with a Navy officer recruiter and applying for a position as a naval pilot. I do not graduate until this summer in July at which time I will be 28 and 1/2. I have specified this to the recruiter and also that my prior service was as a reservist and not active duty. I am taking the ASTB next week and submitting my package shortly after. The recruiter insists that I have a chance so long as I am selected by the board this year. Does anyone know if this information is accurate. I did serve voluntarily for 90 days of active duty aside from training if that makes a difference. The recruiter seems to be sure but I believe she may be misinformed. Everything I have read talks about age waivers for prior service active duty time not reserve time, either way if I ace the ASTB, have a stellar prior service record and high gpa could I be granted a waiver. Lastly, what other options are out there? I know the coast guard has a program I am eligible for, the air force and I believe the air national guard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeremy

Well I'm 28 with 5 years active service. I was only going to get a 2 year waiver. If you have enough time in the reserves then you MAY get the 2 year waiver as well. As you said I’m not even sure you will get the waiver for reservist time. Your OR will know more about that than I. That being said you need to be going to OCS almost immediately after you graduate which means YOU BETTER BE SELECTED IN THE APRIL BOARDS! If you are not even seen for those boards you maybe lucky still by getting in the next months. But anything after that I doubt you will be lucky enough to get the waiver. Basically you have a VERY small window of opportunity so you better jump on it! I would also be doing things for those other services as well. You are about out of time for the AF and ANG as well. Trust me, as I am someone that tried that route as well, if you are 28 already you are already behind! Good Luck!

DowntownJB

Does anyone know if prior service reservist can be issued an age waiver for SNA, I did six 6years in the Marine reserve with some voluntary active service? My recruiter is telling me its no problem but I am a little worried about it. I am 28, I graduate in May 2011, turn 29 in November 2011.

jaruman23

I am trying to figure out where the instruction for the waiver is found. I went into the opnav. 1420.1b and it does not give me a website or anywhere to get the age waiver info.

Jermaine

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
http://www.usna.edu/admissions/1420 1B1.pdf

Scroll down to chapter 4, page 3, number 4, Eligibility Requirements. Anywhere there's a superscript 1 next to a designator, that means you're not getting a waiver unless prior service. The remaining ones are "open to all" waivers. I don't know your age, background, or what community you're shooting for, but keep in mind the current recruiting situation we're in. If the Navy has the choice between two people with similar applications and one needs a waiver while the other doesn't, I would assume they will likely take the one that doesn't. I'm not saying they won't give out waivers (I'm not privilege to whether they would or not), however, so don't think that me saying this is the end of the line.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The OP is active duty Navy. Good luck Jermain. Thanks for the reference fattesfoot.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
It's funny because as I was writing all that, I was like...I bet this guy is prior service and this "advice" isn't worthwhile. Not sure why I didn't check his profile. Anyways, good luck.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I am trying to figure out where the instruction for the waiver is found. I went into the opnav. 1420.1b and it does not give me a website or anywhere to get the age waiver info.

Jermaine

From my understanding the age waiver is "automatic" for prior service individuals. Meaning I didn't require any extra paperwork on my end to obtain it... Did my OR do something? It is quite possible. But from previous discussions, information gatherings, and questions my conclusion has come to this... Basically I would just worry about getting everything done in line. If you need more paperwork to obtain the waiver then do it when it is easy and feasible to do so! ;)... The waiver should be there if you fit the criteria... Good Luck either way!

fjauliveld

From my understanding the age waiver is "automatic" for prior service individuals. Meaning I didn't require any extra paperwork on my end to obtain it... Did my OR do something? It is quite possible. But from previous discussions, information gatherings, and questions my conclusion has come to this... Basically I would just worry about getting everything done in line. If you need more paperwork to obtain the waiver then do it when it is easy and feasible to do so! ;)... The waiver should be there if you fit the criteria... Good Luck either way!

TBC,
When I turned in my application, the fleet processor had me email the community manager's for my waiver. Even though the waiver is automatic for prior service, you still require the documentation from the community manager granting said waiver. Good advice about getting everything else done. Once your package is at TN, you can call the fleet processor and ask if they need anything else. At least that's what I did.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Dude, how about some more info. Age, designator applying, commissioning source going for, etc.....