• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age waiver thread

Dave Shutter

Age Waiver Part II: Enlightenment!

Here I am again yapping about the age waiver. I read John's post suggesting that older topics be re-posted and he specificaly named the age waiver, so here I go. I originally posted that there exists a waiver for age. The current max for the pilot program is 27 (you must be comissioned and in flight training before your 27'th birthday) However, if you have 24 (or more) months of active duty the Navy will be nice enough to reward you for being such a patriotic youngster, and extend the age max for you to 29. that What I did not know about this waiver when I first posted it on the old forum is that there is one small catch. Speeking with the new LT in charge of my local officer recruiting program (this guy actually knew his ****) he said that:

"It's a waiver, what that means is that you have to APPLY for it and then you may not get it! It's not etched in stone that because your prior service your qualified up until your 29. So, they will look at your complete package and decide if they're... desperate enough to fill slots to accept you."

He also said that the waiver, if granted, will come from BUPERS, not Pensacola. Not exactly the final word on the subject that I wanted hear, that the Navy has to be desperate to accept me. Oh well, technically I still have a shot at SNA and that's all that matters to me. Again, this is probably old news to those of you in uniform but many of the older post's indicated that many people did not know this. I do recall Ens. Wickhan mentioning earlier that the service is "hurting" for pilots right now, maybe that'll be the edge that my old ass needs to get picked up? Anyway, wish me luck!

Love the new forum, Check six!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 4 May 2000

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
It seems that EVERYBODY is hurting for pilots. We can't keep CFIs here at Auburn to save the world--as soon as they get about 500 hours, out the door they go to the reigonal airlines.

"The worst day of flying still beats the best day of real work"

mmanijeh

age waiver for non-prior enlisted for SNA or SNFO

Hello everyone, I am in a bit of a desperate situation. I need help from anyone who is willing to give/share their knowledge, tips, or ideas in relation to age waivers for non-prior enlisted, looking to get a SNA or SNFO slot.
I am 27, will be 28 in June, and was 3 weeks away from handing in my package for the NFO position. The only thing I had not yet completed was the security check, and the ASTB test. Everything else had been completed. My test date was set for this Friday and my security check was missing one item for clarification. Now my recruiter calls me about an hour ago and informs me that they lowered the age for NFO down to 27 last week, leaving me with nothing, empty-handed and out of the program.

I have been pursuing the goal of becoming a Naval Aviator for 5 years now. I was stopped in my tracks for a while, because my degree was not accepted (I went to college in Germany). So I went and got my degree in Aeronautics in Florida, giving me an American B.S. in Aeronautics.
Because of this I fell out of the age range for the SNA slots, but I wanted to be a Naval Officer so bad, so I went NFO. And I was just as happy with that decision. I got my package ready, and like I said was 3 weeks from submitting it. And now this.

My question is, is there such a thing as an age waiver for situations like mine? Or is this purely applied to prior-enlisted? When I talk to a few people, they always mention they know of people who have received age waivers with no prior service, but then when it comes down to it, every recruiter I have ever talked to says there is no such thing.

I would love to hear some input on the subject, even if it's just an idea on how to find out more about thsi subject.

Thanks guys...

haubby

None
Contributor
If being a Naval Officer is your overall goal, why not apply for another designator that is within your age requirements? The only age waivers I've ever heard of are for prior enlisted.

Xavier

Final answers? (the hell with recruiters!!!!)

I’m in a very similar situation as you. Every one says age waivers go 24 months on a month-to-month basis for prior service before the age 27 for SNA, and 48 months on a month-to-month for SNFOs. Now, researching the subject I came around these documents:

MILPERSMAN 1131-010
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1131-010.htm

MILPERSMAN 1542-010
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/upd_CD/BUPERS/MILPERS/Articles/1542-010.pdf

The first deals with commissioning to the aviator rates and the second with transfers and change of designator. 1131-010 confirms what people are saying about waivers on article 4.
However, 1542-010 on article 5c it says that if you were commissioned in a designation other than in aviation after 27, you could ask for a waiver.
Basically, as I understand it you could get commissioned in other field and then ask for transfer and waiver.
I wish I was in your shoes. I would not think twice and go to the Air Force were as of yet you don’t even need waivers.
Is there anyone in this forum who REALLY knows what he is talking? Because I’m not sure if I do. I’ve tried recruiters but they are useless!!! By the way the crap he told you about the recent change of age limit for NFO is bull! As far as I know it has been like that for a while. He probably didn’t what to admit he messed up and wasted you time.
None of the documents above mention anything about other types of waivers for people on your shoes. My question is:
Are these THE DEFFINITE documents regarding age waivers?

Sorry about the bad news. Hope it was helpful.

schwarti

Contributor
"Is there anyone in this forum who REALLY knows what he is talking?"

Yes. I'm not one of 'em, but you'd be surprised at who some of these guys "really" are, and who they know. :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never say never....Waivers in the Navy all depend on the needs of the Navy. Have you spoken with your OSO? He's the one that should have those answers. If you don't try, then you know the answer! Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Being as how they wouldn't accept your first degree because it was obtained in Germany and you went ahead and earned a degree over here just so you could apply, I think that kind of initiative may get you an age waiver. Definitely talk to your OSO and see what he says. Good luck.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anything's waiverable. Go for it. If you don't try, the answer will always be no.

I can't speak to the exact limits, but I know Mrs Fester was 29 when she did OCS, with no prior service, and an SNFO.

mmanijeh

Who do I talk to now?

Thanks guys for all the tips...But I have one more question. Where do I go from here? See the thing is, every recruiter tells me no, there is no age waiver. So then they kind of block the whole discussion of how to get an age waiver from the beginning on. I am willing to fight for it, in any kind of way I can, however, I have no clue where to start, since my recruiters won't help.

Thanks....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks guys for all the tips...But I have one more question. Where do I go from here? See the thing is, every recruiter tells me no, there is no age waiver. So then they kind of block the whole discussion of how to get an age waiver from the beginning on. I am willing to fight for it, in any kind of way I can, however, I have no clue where to start, since my recruiters won't help.

Thanks....

Maybe Wink can shed some on what is possible, but it would help to have some info in your profile. It's water under the bridge now, but if you really wanted this and knew age would be a factor, why didn't you go for Navy commitment via BDCP or USMC through PLC while you were in school. Inquiring minds want to know......

mmanijeh

BDCP or other programs...

Thank you for letting me know.
However, it is not that simple in my case, as I was not raised through the American school system. I had to pursue most of my college credits online in Germany, so I could keep my job to finance my education required for the Navy to enter as an officer. There are no programs for online students. So, I decided to finish my degree in Florida. However, once here I was too far along for the BDCP, as you need at least 12 months left of school. But because I was trying to cram to make the 27 cut-off I overloaded my semesters, so I could finish quicker, which meant I would only have 9 months left in school, so BDCP fell out. ROTC was never an option, since I was no longer a beginner. So the only chance I had left was to finish my degree as fast as I could and apply for OCS.
Now it gets tricky, when I graduated they would not release my degree unless I finished my flight course, but due to the hurricane (I went to ERAU), we had literally no planes left, and getting flight time was like war on the flightline. I finally finished my required flightime in Apr '07, which was too late for SNA, however still ok for SNFO. So, there I was left to believe I still had plenty of time for SNFO. So I re-started the process again (as by then they had lost ALL my paperwork for the 3rd time), I finally had everything ready, and like I said I was 3 weeks away from submitting, and that is when I got the news yesterday that the age cut-off was lowered to 27 for NFO.

That is my story. I hope it helps. So you see it has most def not been a lack of motivation or efforts on my side...

justins_jet

I am in a very similar boat with you, I am 27 as well, finishing up my senior year of college (finish in December) and I've been talking to AF advisors for the last 3-4 years. Everything was going fine, I talked to one of the advisors again last week, he advised me to apply now for OTS, and when I called the Officer recruiter, he told me it was a no go because of my age(I'll be 28 in July). He said there was no age waivers, and I was out of luck. I feel so frustrated right now. I've been working my ass off finishing school, getting good grades, I get told one thing and now, its suddendly different.

Personally, I want the AF, but if they wont let me fly, I'll go anywhere that will. What are we supposed to do?

mmanijeh

Well, for the Navy they lowered their age for the NFO position. I spoke to Recruiting Headquarters 2 weeks ago, and it is no longer 30 for NFO, it has been lowered down to 27, that is for non-prior enlisted. However, this happend last year, and not just recently. Unfortunately some recruiters simply have not been informed, or did not know.