• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adversary Squadrons

Kolja

Git-r-done
jpaviator said:
what does FLE stand for?

Fun Limiting Exercise

(ok, ok - what A4 said...)

Word to the wise... do not try to fight an F-16 in a 3G limited jet unless you want a sobering insight into how fast you can die.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
You may want to check out the respective E-M diagrams before you went ahead with that gameplan.
Yeah, last time I checked, the only thing a "really slow" Prowler rates is a quick trip into the ground.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
You may want to check out the respective E-M diagrams before you went ahead with that gameplan.
For those who don't know --- EM diagram is semi-shorthand for "Energy Management" diagram .....

I haven't checked diagrams anytime recently (*sniff*) ... but I'll relate the real world experience(s) from a fading (?) memory bank: an A4 --- even a TA4 with a P-8 engine --- can take an F16 in a slow fight anyday -- if flown properly :) . Horizontal sicissors, half flaps, full nose-up trim --- watch out, Lawn-Dart !!!

A4 "Tinker-Toy" pictures .... (BTW, these are full size aircraft)

a4-2.jpg
a4-4.jpg
a4-1.jpg

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Good article... read a few on that website before, never quite caught that one...

While we kinda-sorta looked at those in flight school (yes, I can make that past tense now :) )... it was more of "uhmm... yeah... two-circle fight in the T-2 means you need 280 knots and 15 units AOA"

At what point do you really start to get into comparing dissimilar aircraft? Is that a fleet aircraft/deployment type thing? Or do you start saying getting into tactics of how you want to fight MiG-21s vice MiG-29s in the RAG?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WRT fighter communities (and F/A of course)...you'll start get this in the FRS during your tactics/ACM phase. usually later in your training as ACM required a lot of flight time to get a good feel for the jet. You'll study lots of comparison diagrams of your aircraft's E-M diagrams on top of the typical adversaries...noticing the differences. Also you will memorize your aircraft's weapons envelopes...then theirs...

You'll first fly some 1 v 1 similar, then 2 v 1, then disimilar stuff in the same fashion 1 v1 ...2 v 1...2 v 2.....and then move on up to probably at most a 4 v 4 in the FRS. You'll do a lot more in the fleet like 4 v unk or greater. An adversary squadron will provide you with agressor aircraft in the FRS. Or you could be asked to engage a USAF F-15 or F-16 that your FRS flies against on a regular basis. You'll be told what they will be simulating for that engagement.

Before you get to a new AOR, you'll get lots of briefings from an AI weenie (your squardron spy) and fellow squadron mates on the local threats and briefs how to fly your jet to beat them. A real detailed review of E-M stuff and almost always classified.

For example the threat aircraft in the gulf are going to be different than the threat near Taiwan.

Blue Sky Up

Cheers,
G

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I just came across a website that is supposed to be a documentary about an Adversary Squadron stationed in Fallon, NV. Looks pretty interesting.

www.dogfight13.com

I'm not endorsing this sight or anything, but thought others might be interested in it. Also, for others that remember the TV series American Fighter Pilots (Air Force Pilot Training) that got canned after two weeks of showing, it is now available in full on www.amazon.com.

Enjoy!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
D_mac05 said:
I just came across a website that is supposed to be a documentary about an Adversary Squadron stationed in Fallon, NV. Looks pretty interesting.
www.dogfight13.com
Thanks, D_mac: Looks like good stuff from a cursory glance --- and I like seeing some of those "old" guys still doin' it too .....

Oh, speaking of "old guys" --- had my 6 month FAA physical yesterday --- 20/10 and 20/15 distant vision (20/15 --- that's the "bad" eye that kept me out of USNA when I was 18 !!!) and 20/20 near vision. According to the hearing test, I can hear a flea fart from 35,000 feet --- so much for the old "LSO ear". Look out Chuck Yeager .....

dogfight7de.jpg
...Now back to that "dogfight" video while I practice "closed glottis" breathing .... :)

Kolja

Git-r-done
hope it shows the air crew photo board they have up in the squadron - last time I saw it, each pilot had his photo taken in a Soviet AF uniform in front of one of the MiGs on static display out in front of NSAWC. For whatever reason I found it entertaining...