• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adversary Squadrons

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Hey dude, no worries... not fighting it, merely curious... ....., but if not.. hey, it's all good...

I understand completely ..... and just a friendly suggestion for what it's worth :

.... don't call guys like me and/or guys my age "dude" .... we're not "dudes" and we don't intend to become one anytime soon .....

If you agree to that little courtesy, I promise not to call you "Punk" ..... deal ??? (AW smiles :) )

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Sorry... it really is a force of habit... kind of like the whole 'yessir' thing in the VTs

Or maybe I was confused by the whole Hawaii thing... ;)

And if you want to call me 'punk', I'll live... I've been called much worse in my 20-nothing years of existence..

Kolja

Git-r-done
UInavy said:
Aren't you guys going to be slitting each other's throats when there is one spot for every three of you?

There's definitely going to be more for the pilots to do when the G comes online. A/A radar comes to mind in addition to whatever other tasks the ECMOs need to shed to deal with doing the work of three as one.

As long as the "right" throats get slit, it promises to be the best quality cut the community has ever seen.... :icon_smil

I got the chance to play around with a cockpit sim of the G and Brett is right - the improvement in the interface and processing capacity more than offsets the reduction in manpower.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dude,
No apology needed.
It's like totally cool...shaka (kahn)
r/
Punk
22591_l.jpg

Who's Your Daddy???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In a Herculean attemp to pull this thread back from the chasm of innanity and return the discourse to ..... Adversary Squadrons:

When we used to bang heads with the Air Force, especially out of Nellis, they frequently resorted to the dirsreputable and cowardly tactic (AW smiles) of using GCI (ground controllers for you new guys) to set them up for their dubious 20 mile, look-down, in-the-face "kill shots" against a maneuvering A-4. ... I don't think so.:icon_roll

So one of our guys who was technologically gifted rigged up a system wherein he could take a cassette tape player (MP3 was then just a wet-dream in the mind of some MS-to-be techno-geek) and wire it into his helmet/mask and ..... viola!!! Instant frequency jammer !!!

Our A-4 Adversary outfit became legend as instant bogeys/bandits/tactical jammers when we would start the run-in and this particular individual or his assigns (if he wasn't flying) would start the cassette tape, key the mic, and clobber the frequency for the F-15's and their GCI controllers. It destroyed the com with their GCI, "evened up " the initial run-in , and really ticked them off, but they kept asking us back ..... :) Our Navy/Marine squadrons we worked against thought it was great stuff and enjoyed it --- in particular when we worked WITH them against the AF. But the AF Fighter Weapons School could not see the humor coming from a bunch of broken down guys flying old, subsonic airplanes --- irreverent Navy Reservists , one might suppose.

a4fdnst9400691jpg4we.jpg

Early on, he used "Wipeout" or the theme from "Hawaii 5-0" ... a favorite choice after the 1986 movie Top Gun was, of course, "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins in our pathetic attempt to get some mileage from the movie .... ;) (the RealPlayer wav. link is erratic, but so am I ) ... http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/sounds/alohasuckers.wav

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ That made my day. Good share.

Does anybody know whatever happened to the Kfirs that were acquired for use as adversaries?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
^ That made my day. Good share.

Does anybody know whatever happened to the Kfirs that were aquired for use as adversaries?

If memory serves .... sometimes it does ...... The F-21A "Kfir C-1" (Kfir = lion cub) was used by the Navy and Marine Corps in the mid '80's as a dissimilar ACT platform. It was basically designed by the Israelis to get around a French aircraft embargo on the Jews and it's probably easily described as a modified Mirage V with a GE J-79 engine --- same engine as the F-4 Phantom. They were on loan (?) from Israel for a few years and subsequently returned around 1989 or '90 when they were replaced by F-16Ns and F-5Es. The Kfirs simulated the MiG-21 and MiG-23/27 series a little more closely in performance than what we had available for dissimilar Adversary work at the time .....

aec00797.jpg
kfir_a.jpg

Kolja

Git-r-done
A contracting company flies some - not sure if it's the same airframes or if they were acquired separately. In fact I think they're down here now - I seem to recall someone mentioning it, and the other day SOMETHING with a delta wing and canards was in the break. I've been entirely too busy to wander down to the T-line to go look and see for sure.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If it's who I am thinking of, it's the ultimate in outsourcing: ATAC, or "Airborne Tactical Advantage Company (kind of a silly name, however) has been operating for several years as a subcontractor of the more familiar Flight International, Inc. They -- ATAC -- are corporate homeported in Newport News but they work the West Coast as well, last I heard. Their pilots are all former Navy or Air Force fighter jocks.

What you saw might have been Kfirs, or it may have been the F-35 Draken, which they operate and which has a similar appearance to the F-21 Kfir. I am still trying to grasp the nuances that tell me that it is a better idea to have civilian contractors do DACT than our own in-house military ..... but I'm not there yet ...

kfirsdrakens1kh.jpg
.... Draken and two Kfirs ...

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
I built a model of a Draken once. That thing was a piece of crap, through and through. The canopy was all covered in glue, the paint was slopped everywhere and the decals all ripped. We should paint planes like that to throw people off.

Kolja

Git-r-done
A4sForever said:
If it's who I am thinking of, it's the ultimate in outsourcing: ATAC, or "Airborne Tactical Advantage Company (kind of a silly name, however) has been operating for several years as a subcontractor of the more familiar Flight International, Inc. They -- ATAC -- are corporate homeported in Newport News but they work the West Coast as well, last I heard. Their pilots are all former Navy or Air Force fighter jocks.

What you saw might have been Kfirs, or it may have been the F-35 Draken, which they operate and which has a similar appearance to the F-21 Kfir. I am still trying to grasp the nuances that tell me that it is a better idea to have civilian contractors do DACT than our own in-house military ..... but I'm not there yet ...

.... Draken and two Kfirs ...

Pretty sure it was a Kfir then, because it definitely had the canards, not the "double delta." Made for a bit of a surprise having one break over my head walking back from the PR shop. For the record that's a hell of a tighter break than the fat kid manages...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Kolja said:
.....For the record that's a hell of a tighter break than the fat kid manages...

Probably being flown by a helluva lot better and more experienced Aviator ... :)

vt9Jack

I'm looking out the window at two of them right now - Parked on the line in fallon. The fly rather regularly as adversaries here.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
Actually.....Bwahahahaha.....

It's a real three seat variant developed for overseas FMS sales to Iran....and I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale, too.

Two more "Salty" points gone....
burns.jpg

Yes Virginia, NFOs were in adversary squadrons.

This showed up in one of Lockheed's official propoganda magazines a little while ago, it was an April Fool's joke (if you look close enough, the 2 backseaters are the same guy duplicated)

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_photos_album73-photoaah.html

Okay, back on topic.....