• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adversary Squadrons

JIMMY

Hey guys,

Anyone know what a typical career path would be like for getting into an adversary sqd? I havent been able to find out that much information from anywhere. Are either the saints or snipers considered reserve sqds? How long can you stay with one? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

JAmes

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
The advesary are reserves. Start rushing them about the time you hit your first shore tour. Generally, your wing comittment (8 years) will be over about the end of your first shore tour).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
jpaviator said:
Hey guys,

Anyone know what a typical career path would be like for getting into an adversary sqd? I havent been able to find out that much information from anywhere. Are either the saints or snipers considered reserve sqds? How long can you stay with one? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

JAmes

Are you an officer yet or have you been accepted into any programs (OCS, NROTC, etc)?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
jpaviator said:
Not an officer, and havent applied yet. Thanks for posts so far.

-JAmes

Well if you're an acro pilot, you probably won't have to much trouble making it through the program.

JIMMY

Mefesto said:
Ya... I wouldn't go saying that until he's actually made it through. More than a few prior time guys came up short while I was in primary. One with a Commerical/Multi/Inst. etc who BARELY made it through Primary, and attrited from helo land because he couldn't pass his instrument check... WTF?

Those that think they know everything about aviation, really annoy the hell out of those of us that really do.

woah, hey chill out man... all i did is ask about adversary squadrons... i mean i didnt say anything about how i can do a knife edge spin followed by a 2 1/4 snap down while brushing my teeth and wearing a hood. ;-)

Mefesto said:
One with a Commerical/Multi/Inst. etc who BARELY made it through Primary, and attrited from helo land because he couldn't pass his instrument check... WTF?

ya i figure people like that either think they have it made and slack off, or are just plan stupid. I know a lot of civilian pilots, even ATP's who scare the crap out of me with how little they know, and how bad they fly. Thats why i want to learn the Navy way ;-).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
jpaviator said:
Hey guys, Anyone know what a typical career path would be like for getting into an adversary sqd? ....

vfc-12.gif
vfc-13.gif
cvwr-20.gif

Long story short --- there is no career path, as such. The two remaining Adversary Squadrons, VFC-12 and VFC-13 are part of Carrier Air Wing Reserve 20 (CVWR-20) which is home-ported @ NAS ATLANTA and neither squadron deploys.

How do you get in ??? It's all timing, Navy politics, some luck, and who you are working for in "civie street" -- i.e. how much time you can give the Reserves (did I mention you have to leave active duty and join the Reserves??). Of course your flying background is the primary filter as to who gets the coveted Adversary Squadron seats --- VFC-12 OMARS (east) and VFC-13 SAINTS (west). I guess they now go by the loftier title of "Fighting" OMARS and SAINTS, however we just used regular old OMARS & SAINTS. You have to be a "cruise veteran", come from a fighter/attack background, and be a TOPGUN graduate -- few if any exceptions are allowed to these basic requirements. Competition for a seat is always very tight .... always timing and qualifications. No career path.

VFC -12 and VFC-13 (used to be VC) ... date back to 1943 and 1946, respectively --- they are two of the oldest squadrons in Naval Aviation. In the late '80's their designation, VC for "Fleet Composite" was changed to VFC or "Fighter Composite" .... still did the same mission -- provide DACT for the Fleet, Marines, Air Force, and foreign countries, i.e. Canada.

This organizational data may be dated; expect it to change by the minute now ..... they may have closed NAS ATLANTA while I was typing this ....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And now one of them has a permanent det in Key West. I know where I'm gonna try to retire!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
And now one of them has a permanent det in Key West. I know where I'm gonna try to retire!

And if I'm not mistaken, The Saints, late of Miramar, are now the only Navy squadron permanently based @ NAS FALLON. NAS FALLON or NAS BOCA CHICA .... hmmmmmm..... which would be better ??? If Key West -- buy/bring a boat you can live on --- nice little marina on the base. If Fallon --- bring money to get out of town.

JIMMY

thanks for the advice mef. And cmon... it was a joke...... everyone knows its dangerous to fly aerobatics with loose objects in the cockpit.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
jpaviator said:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

James
the Snipers out of Yuma are a Marine reserve squadron but they do have a few active duty pilots ... they are Hornet pilots, but i think a Harrier pilot might roll through there occasionally. some of the MAWTS Hornet guys will get checked out in the F-5 and fly with them.

i don't know how squid adversary squadrons work

S/F

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Mefesto said:
Ya... I wouldn't go saying that until he's actually made it through. More than a few prior time guys came up short while I was in primary. One with a Commerical/Multi/Inst. etc who BARELY made it through Primary, and attrited from helo land because he couldn't pass his instrument check... WTF?

Either a person has it or they don't. If an individual with a lot of prior flight time can't hack the program, then regardless of flight time, they just don't have what it takes. Flight school isn't that difficult and an experienced acro pilot shouldn't have a hard time at all with the program. I still give the advantage to those with plenty of prior flight time, especially those with the type of flight time that jpaviator has.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
here we go again! cue the circus music!

dunh dunh dunna dunna dunh dunh dunh dunh!