• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Adversary Squadrons

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that one of the Blues a few years ago wasn't a natural Hornet guy, so they sent him to the rag for a CAT III syllabus. Basically an NATOPS qual and that was it. He said that he spent the first year just trying to not hit Boss and not forget his EP's.

Of course my info is secondhand from my S-3 squadron CO who tried out for the Blues, so of course add the appropriate grains of salt.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the Navy F-16 guy at NFL went to the F-16 RTU (AF RAG).

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Blutonski816 said:
I dunno, if Uncle Sam wants to spend the money to shave off all the extra fat off one of those to turn it into something that'll be useful in DACT, I guess it will. I doubt it though...
IMO, I'd think it smarter to retrofit the Legacy hornets with the F414...

Then again, the F-14 DID find its way into an adversary job at NSAWC...

I guess what I'm getting at is whether this is a pilot-only thing or if there's a spot for FOs in the adversary squadrons...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
I guess what I'm getting at is whether this is a pilot-only thing or if there's a spot for FOs in the adversary squadrons...

Count on the flying spots being marked: " Aviators only " ..... then you won't be disappointed. :) Remember, Adversary Squadrons simulate ..... (drum rolllllll ..... ) FOREIGN AIRBORNE THREATS ..... not U.S. Navy fighter squadrons with a guy-in-the-back.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
A4sForever said:
Count on the flying spots being marked: " Aviators only " ..... then you won't be disappointed. :) Remember, Adversary Squadrons simulate ..... (drum rolllllll ..... ) FOREIGN AIRBORNE THREATS ..... not U.S. Navy fighter squadrons with a guy-in-the-back.

Awww... aviators only? ;)

Since when did foreign airborne threats not have self-loading baggage? Do the Iranians not fly F-14s, for example?

Many use the Chair Force's waxing by the IAF in Cope India as justification for buying into the F/"A"-22... we quickly forget their Sukhois were two seat models...

"the IAF in sharp contrast had the benefit of operating the two-seater Sukhoi-30MK/K “four plus-plus-generation” fighters that was bound to have some benefit of an air-battle-management platform if not in the same league as the newest Sukhoi-30MKI. Not only the rear-seat occupant WSO (Weapon System Officer), could remain focused on planning the air-battle, but he generally could single-handedly take the vital responsibility of launching the deadly BVR missiles after making judicious IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) decisions.

Media sources stated that those who have read draft copies of the Cope India 2004 report say the IAF Sukhoi-30MKs and USAF F-15 pilots were detecting each other at the same time with their radars, but the Indian pilots were getting off the simulated first shot with their R-27 (AA-10 Alamo) AAMs (Air-to-Air Missiles) and often winning the long-range BVR engagements"

http://www.indiadefence.com/COPE.htm

Lesson served? Hrmm... ;)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
I hate to do this T&B, you seem like a great guy, but..... The Indians actually fly the two seat models with two pilots. No WSOs over there,...... yet.

that's how the air force used to utilize their F-4s... put the junior pilot in the back... till they realized it was a waste of talent

who loves ya

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Awww... aviators only? ;)

Since when did foreign airborne threats not have self-loading baggage? Do the Iranians not fly F-14s, for example?

You're fighting this ... not sure why, however. The subject is U.S. Navy Adversary Squadrons .... and the answer is Aviators, not NFO's. (smiles, no hate for Navy NFO's :) :) :icon_mi_1 :sleep_125 )

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Physicx said:
How hard is it to join one of there reserve squads?If your a jet jock is it pretty easy?
Either someone is not reading/listening, or you have got to be pulling our leg here ??? :) ... HOW HARD ??? Others have posted here as well, but just these should have answered your question:

A4sForever said:
How do you get in ??? It's all timing, Navy politics, some luck, and who you are working for in "civie street" -- i.e. how much time you can give the Reserves (did I mention you have to leave active duty and join the Reserves??). Of course your flying background is the primary filter as to who gets the coveted Adversary Squadron seats ..... You have to be a "cruise veteran", come from a fighter/attack background, and be a TOPGUN graduate -- few if any exceptions are allowed to these basic requirements. Competition for a seat is always very tight .... always timing and qualifications.....
A4sForever said:
Keep in mind that these are some of the best Aviators in the Fleet --- and it still takes a siginificant amount of time to qualify.....

** Bottom line ** _________________________________________________

So, again, HOW HARD ... to get into the Navy Adversary Squadrons ??? (note: not squads -- that's infantry) Well, they're easier to get into than the Blue Angels .... they're harder to get into than Top Gun ..... So it's HARD, right ??? (AW smiley face :censored_ )

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Physicx said:
How hard is it to join one of there reserve squads?If your a jet jock is it pretty easy?

I'd like you to meet my friend, his name is The-First-Three-Pages. What's that, you two have never met? Well, I'll bet you'll have much to talk about. Also, why is everybody so hot on knowing about adversary squads? Is it some kind of new cool trend that I don't know about?

Edit: Thanks for ruining my punch line, A-4's. All of my thunder, gone.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any flying job in the Reserves is difficult to get. Just do the math. Not many squadrons and lots of guys off active duty wanting to join them. Another factor is compatibility. Trying to get into a Reserve squadron is often refered to as "rushing the squadron". That is accurate, but not because it is some popularity contest. In the Reserves you don't get ordered in and out of a unit every 2-3 years. A JO joining a Reserve unit might be there until he is a senior O-4 or makes O-5. That could be 5-8 years. I spent 4 years in my Reserve squadron and only left when it was decomed. Was in my next Reserve unit for 5 years and was forced out when I made O-5. As you can see, having to tolerate a major tool or tactical incompetent for years without any releif is a threat to the wardroom. Having a great fleet reputation for airmanship, dependabiltiy, and personality is necessary. You then have to convice the squadron CO and wardroom that you are all that you think you are. The bottom line is that you have to really work at getting a Reserve flying job, adversary or otherwise.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Think the movie Animalhouse when they have the slide of the pledges on the screen and they either cheered or threw beer cans at it, it is very much like that.
"We need the Dues"

Grant

skidkid said:
Think the movie Animalhouse when they have the slide of the pledges on the screen and they either cheered or threw beer cans at it, it is very much like that.
"We need the Dues"

I hear that Air National Guard squadrons are alot like that... :D

Kolja

Git-r-done
A4sForever said:
And if I'm not mistaken, The Saints, late of Miramar, are now the only Navy squadron permanently based @ NAS FALLON. NAS FALLON or NAS BOCA CHICA .... hmmmmmm..... which would be better ??? If Key West -- buy/bring a boat you can live on --- nice little marina on the base. If Fallon --- bring money to get out of town.

I've lived in Florida, and I've lived in Fallon. Frankly, I prefer Fallon - no accounting for taste I guess :)