• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy or NROTC?

navca09

Having gone to the Academy for two years I can only say good things about it. I had a great time and made great friends. If you are smart and love math and science, give it a shot.
There are 3 kind of people that make up the academy….The Superman- the one the does everything outstanding( get good grades and is a pt stud), The well rounded(good at school, may struggle, and is good a pt) and then there are the brains, thay are smart but..well take a look http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZMV3QZtKsM

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
ONE acronym why not to go to boat school... WUBA!!!

Sure we have these at college/University but you graduate and will NEVER see them again.. But at the academy, they will follow you from Squadron to Duty Station and again... And you will never escape.. This I kid you NOT... By the way, had many ROTC buds in the past had this happen to them as well... The best are the ones that finally give up and marry them... MORONS!!! DON"T DIP IN THE COMPANY INK!!!! Recipe for disaster or torture.. Pick your poison!!

AppelCU

ahem...I'd like to offer the suggestion (as a former college program midn who got f***ed by CNET after my 3rd class year) that NROTC is not a good way to make officers. I am heading to OCS next week and I don't think I would know the first thing about being an officer if the Navy kept me in NROTC. I understand that OCS curriculum is similar to NROTC, but I feel that the people with whom I went through orientation week with freshman year who just commissioned a few weeks ago will not make good officers. Maybe it's me being bitter, maybe it's the individual people and it's not the same everywhere else, but I personally think that every ROTC midshipman should have to at least go to a shortened version of OCS like the Marines do. I'll step off my soapbox now. Thank you.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
^ That is not going to win you any friends... and yeah it sounds bitter... and a touch ignorant. By posting it you're only going to catch the hairy eyeball from everyone who came from ROTC (or is in ROTC)... myself included.

I hate to offer a suggestion but if you "would [not] know the first thing about being an officer if the Navy kept me in NROTC", perhaps the source of the problem is smaller than a program that has produced a sh!tload of officers (good and bad) for the better part of 81 years.

I really hate getting into the argument that is about to occur here... we've beaten it to death before... all sources produce good officers, all sources produce bad. Its got just as much to do with the raw materials as it does the method in which they're hammered into being Ensigns.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ahem...I'd like to offer the suggestion (as a former college program midn who got f***ed by CNET after my 3rd class year) that NROTC is not a good way to make officers. I am heading to OCS next week and I don't think I would know the first thing about being an officer if the Navy kept me in NROTC. I understand that OCS curriculum is similar to NROTC, but I feel that the people with whom I went through orientation week with freshman year who just commissioned a few weeks ago will not make good officers. Maybe it's me being bitter, maybe it's the individual people and it's not the same everywhere else, but I personally think that every ROTC midshipman should have to at least go to a shortened version of OCS like the Marines do. I'll step off my soapbox now. Thank you.

You are probably going to get some grief here. You certainly come across as bitter and that will often limit rational thinking. It looks as though it's your opinion but just know you really don't have the experience as to what it takes to be a good officer. In addition, if NROTC mids went to an OCS, what does that teach one about the real Navy? Only experience teaches one about the real navy. That will come in due time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are probably going to get some grief here. You certainly come across as bitter and that will often limit rational thinking. It looks as though it's your opinion but just know you really don't have the experience as to what it takes to be a good officer. In addition, if NROTC mids went to an OCS, what does that teach one about the real Navy? Only experience teaches one about the real navy. That will come in due time.

So, has teaching studs taught you anything new yet? ;)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
NROTC is not a good way to make officers.

It's annoying to see people make sweeping generalizations like this. We often say there's three sources: USNA, ROTC, and OCS. I'd argue there's 72 Sources: USNA, OCS, and 70 different ROTC units.

Enjoy making friends with your ROTC wardroom mates.

(For the record, I went to OCS, and no, I don't agree with your views simply because you're headed to OCS.)

AppelCU

Honestly, I was not intending to piss anyone off with my comment. My issue is that if the ROTC program is so great, why is it that they still send Marines to 6 weeks of OCS? Logically, that indicates that ROTC might not teach enough as far as how to be an officer.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
My issue is that if the ROTC program is so great, why is it that they still send Marines to 6 weeks of OCS?

NROTC is geared toward the Navy... not the Marines. At USNA, there's so much USMC influence in the training that the higher-ups decided that Marines commissioned through the academy didn't need to go to OCS. Not so much in NROTC... its just the nature of the beast.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

SourPatch.jpg

+

SourGrapesCluster-784575.jpg

:D