• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy or NROTC?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I have most certainly seen guys who have gone through ROTC not get pilot or NFO, even though they were their first two choices.

I assume this as well. It all depends on how many slots are required. When I selected, it was the beginning of the early 90's draw down. From my understanding, at that selection board, there only 50 pilot slots for over 300 NROTC guys who selected pilot first. This was for the winter/spring grads. So 250 mids did not select pilot. I certainly didn't expect to select when I heard that number. Maybe it was just a scare tactic, our XO liked to see us squirm.

zachary2777

Banned
Obviously things change with the needs of the navy but right now it doesn't seem that hard to get a pilot slot. In fact I've heard of guys who wanted SWO first get NFO and pilot. But you're 4 years away from that point so it could change. What I can tell you is that if you bust your ass in your unit and get good grades, you'll stand a good chance of getting it. On the same note, if you bust your ass in college you could get that BDCP slot too. You have to take a risk whichever route you go. The nice thing about ROTC and the academy is that you will be an officer, regardless of whether you're flying or not and it's nice to know that before you even go to college.

From my experience I've only seen one guy from my unit not get pilot because of grades. He got NFO instead. A friend of mine didn't get it because of a medical problem he just found out about recently and is going SWO. It happens, he had no idea until a few months ago.

As for ROTC vs. the Academy... I'm glad I went the ROTC route. For ME it was the best decision. It's a choice that YOU have to make for YOU. You'll most likely end up in the same place in 4 years so you need to decide what path you take to get there.

NathanH

Ok, so know that I know my chances of getting a slot are the same no matter which route I go, what about service requirements? Is the service requirement the same in NROTC as it is at the Academy? What about if I pay my own tuition?

And what exactly is "BDCP"?

Thanks,
Nathan

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Service requirements are the same regardless of what path you take. It's 5 years after commissioning. If you accept an aviation slot, it's 8 years from date of winging, so in reality you'd be looking at about a 10 year commitment from date of commission.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
And what exactly is "BDCP"?

BDCP is a program that locks you into an OCS class after you graduate. Selection occurs anywhere from your sophomore year to your senior year. You're considered active duty and rate E-3 pay and allowances. This is the common route for college students who decide they want to join the Navy after graduation. Since you're a HS soph, it's easily 4 years until you can apply for this program.

NathanH

BDCP = Gauranteed SNA slot (or SNFO if you apply for that)
ROTC = Service selection, which may or may not go your way

Oh, and time in BDCP counts towards retirement, and years of service for pay purposes. Most of us BDCPers were getting O-1 over 2 at commissioning.

So this means that if I go to a state school, and then apply to BDCP my sophomore or senior year and get selected, I will automatically get a pilot training slot?

Thanks,
Nathan

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
When you apply, you apply for your choice. It's like applying for a job, you can either apply for only the position you want, or others as well. If you only apply for aviation and you don't get it, you won't be picked up by the program. Contrast with NROTC, if you try to get aviation and don't, you're put where the needs of the Navy are.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So this means that if I go to a state school, and then apply to BDCP my sophomore or senior year and get selected, I will automatically get a pilot training slot?

A hidden perk of BDCP is that since you're considered active duty, you'll rate in-state tuition at most public schools (check with specific schools, as some are inexplicably homosexual about this), meaning you can go to an out-state school and given that you pick up BDCP, only be saddled with a year or two of out-of state tuition. Just something to think about if you want to go to a certain school, but you (and your parents) are scared off by the out-of-state sticker price.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
As an Academy Grad, I will tell you that it is definetly a lifestyle choice that is not for everyone. However, here are a couple perks.

1. Aviation slots, at least when I graduated (2000), were abundant and as long as you had somewhat decent grades, you got one. Pilot or NFO. It depends heavily on your grades as service selection went in order of class rank.

2. No tuition. At least not monetary. Sure you will pay for it in lifestyle, but I graduated the Academy without a cent in debt and a sweet $22,000 loan at 1% interest rate. (It looked a lot like a new car and a month in Europe!)

3. The experience. I don't care what other people might say, the Academy has the potential to make you an exceptional officer. Does that mean you will be better when you graduate from USNA, not necessarily. However, if you take advantage of all the opportunities at the Academy, they far outwiegh ROTC, or OCS. Exposure to officers of multiple warfare designations and leadership challenges at the Academy is a great way to get started on your career and show up with some experience under your belt.

4. Annapolis is a great drinking town, and yes, you will be able to drink there quite a bit.... Maybe not on a Tuesday morning during Physics, but you will.

5. Great education and the good ole boys network. Still holds some pull......

Overall, it comes down to what you want to do. Like I said in a similiar thread, if you want a challenge for college that will give you a true feeling of accomplishment at commissioning and a sense of pride in being part of a long naval tradition, then USNA is your place. If you prefer beer and women and ultimate frisbee on the quad with a dash of military here and there, go to another school. Either way, study hard, take advantage of the opportunities you get in College and have a good time. We'll see you in the fleet in a couple years. Good Luck.

Beat Army!!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Good post. It is refreshing to see someone articulate the positives of the Academy like that.

Mango

pilot
If you prefer beer and women and ultimate frisbee on the quad with a dash of military here and there, go to another school.
Prowler, come on, intramural fieldball on Hospital Point is waaaay cooler than ultimate on the quad! '96, sir!

From USNA.edu
The 982 members of the Class of 2005 chose the following service and warfare specialties to enter after graduation and commissioning:
Naval Aviation: Pilot training -- 224 men and 26 women;
Naval Flight Officer training -- 75 men and 10 women.
Marine Corps Aviation:
Pilot training -- 64 men and 5 women;
Flight Officer training -- 5 men and 1 woman.
Surface Warfare: conventional -- 180 men and 60 women;
Nuclear power -- 14 men and 12 women.
Marine Corps Ground: 113 men and 19 women.
Submarine Warfare: 92 men.
Navy Restricted Line and Staff Corps: 20 men and 16woman, including midshipmen not physically qualified for the unrestricted line duties above, elected specialization in aviation maintenance duty, cryptology, intelligence, supply corps, civil engineering corps and meteorology/oceanography.
Medical Corps: 8 men and 3 women.
Special Warfare (SEAL): 21 men.
Special Operations (diving, salvage and explosive ordnance disposal): 13 men and 2 women.
Interservice commissioning in the U.S. Air Force: 2 men and 3 woman.
Interservice commissioning in the U.S. Army: 3 men.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Prowler, come on, intramural fieldball on Hospital Point is waaaay cooler than ultimate on the quad! '96, sir!

From USNA.edu
The 982 members of the Class of 2005 chose the following service and warfare specialties to enter after graduation and commissioning:
Naval Aviation: Pilot training -- 224 men and 26 women;
Naval Flight Officer training -- 75 men and 10 women.
Marine Corps Aviation:
Pilot training -- 64 men and 5 women;
Flight Officer training -- 5 men and 1 woman.
Surface Warfare: conventional -- 180 men and 60 women;
Nuclear power -- 14 men and 12 women.
Marine Corps Ground: 113 men and 19 women.
Submarine Warfare: 92 men.
Navy Restricted Line and Staff Corps: 20 men and 16woman, including midshipmen not physically qualified for the unrestricted line duties above, elected specialization in aviation maintenance duty, cryptology, intelligence, supply corps, civil engineering corps and meteorology/oceanography.
Medical Corps: 8 men and 3 women.
Special Warfare (SEAL): 21 men.
Special Operations (diving, salvage and explosive ordnance disposal): 13 men and 2 women.
Interservice commissioning in the U.S. Air Force: 2 men and 3 woman.
Interservice commissioning in the U.S. Army: 3 men.

Yup, that's my class.