• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy or NROTC?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see an issue in your statement. I understand where you're coming from but you're an officer first, aviator second. You have to be willing to accept that fate of not being an aviator if not selected, then serving your committment. I'm not knocking, I certainly wouldn't want to be in the Navy and not be an aviator but the reality is what I said.
And on that note, if you want to be a pilot first, officer second, Aim High and join the Air Force. Seriously. Their culture is different than what you will find in the Navy. Like Bunk said, in the Navy it's officer first, then whatever you do as an officer second

NathanH

Well I definitely understand what you're saying, and have thought about it quite a bit myself. Basically, I know I want to join the military, but I know I want to fly while I serve.

So I'm really just trying to assess my chances of becoming a pilot in the NAVY, and if I decide I can't make it, I'll join another branch such as the ARMY and fly rotary (yuck).

On a sidenote, I'm automatically DQ'd from the AF because of past allergies.

Thanks,
Nathan

MasterBates

I'll join another branch such as the ARMY and fly rotary (yuck).

If you have such a low opinion of Rotary, you best stay out of the Navy & Marine Corps Aviation team..

Your odds are better than 50% of getting helos.

While I'm not a helo pilot anymore, it can be some of the most fun flying IF you don't approach it with a "helos suck because I'm not flying a fighter" mindset.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Seems that NROTC and the Academy get a relatively equal amount of pilot slots each year. Apply to both, and see which one(s) you get into before discounting either. There are plenty of people out there who got into one of the two, but not both. While both have the greatest amount of pilot slots each year there is always the chance that you may not get one (that pesky service selection thing). BDCP/OCS have a smaller amount of slots but they are garunteed (for both I think) and they are very competative. It seems that those slots require higher ASTB, gpa etc then the Academy/NROTC slots due to their limited numbers

You wanting to fly while you serve is understandable, but there is no way to 100% guarantee it. Theres a long road ahead of you and There are too many x factors involved (program denials, needs of the navy, NPQ, etc etc) that might hinder where you finally end up.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
NROTC is the reserves and doesn't teach a whole lot about the real Navy.

Just curious what you mean by that. My experience is that everything is taught regarding the active duty fleet. If you're referring to the way things are run in NROTC, I can kind of understand, but either way I think it's mostly preparation for active duty. Do they still commission people directly to the reserves anymore?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I think what he means is that on the plus side: You get to be a civilian at a civilian school, take a few military classes, and wear a uniform a couple times a week, and on the negative side: You get to be a civilian at a civilian school, take a few military classes, and wear a uniform a couple times a week. The difference is that the academy is total immersion. You get exposed to alot of aspects of both the Navy and the Marine Corps. More than is possible in more of a part time manner. Does that make a better officer? No. A persons attitude and their desire to make themselves a better naval officer is what makes them better.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I understand and agree with ^^ statement. There are definitely times I wish NROTC was more involved, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. It's a difficult line to make it total immersion but at the same time comply with the restraints of the student's outside obligations. For the most part, I think it's a good combination, though, and the bottom line is you get commissioned. Personally, I was recruited athletically for the Academy but didn't get in, and was lucky enough to find a great unit and am very satisfied with where I am.

NathanH

So basically you guys are saying I have the same chance of getting a training slot whether I go to the Academy or ROTC?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I understand and agree with ^^ statement. There are definitely times I wish NROTC was more involved, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. It's a difficult line to make it total immersion but at the same time comply with the restraints of the student's outside obligations. For the most part, I think it's a good combination, though, and the bottom line is you get commissioned. Personally, I was recruited athletically for the Academy but didn't get in, and was lucky enough to find a great unit and am very satisfied with where I am.
There will be plenty of time later in life for total immersion...like when you get out of college and are a commissioned officer. Until then, enjoy where you are now. You only get 4 or so years of being a jackassed college student whose only real worries are grades and beer money....so make sure you enjoy them.

And as far as BDCP/NROTC goes, I'll echo the sentiment that BDCP seems very competitive. I don't know too much about the program, but from seeing stats on here and knowing that the OCS route has fewer flight slots than NROTC/USNA, it would seem to back up that it's a lot more competitive than my route was. When I selected 5yrs ago, if you weren't an assclown or had a GPA that was abyssimal (knew a guy who got SNA w/~2.1) you got what you wanted. Not sure how competitive service selection is these days...any more recent NROTC grads want to chime in?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
When I selected 5yrs ago, if you weren't an assclown or had a GPA that was abyssimal (knew a guy who got SNA w/~2.1) you got what you wanted. Not sure how competitive service selection is these days...any more recent NROTC grads want to chime in?

I haven't been selected yet but I have spoken at length with my XO at the unit asking him about the likely hood of getting accepted for flight. He said while there are minimum ASTB requirements he has never seen someone who wanted flight get turned down for it save one person who barely made it through college. (~2.5 GPA)

I dont know anything about OCS but when he said that it made me feel a lot more comfortable and certainly set my mind at ease. So if you are worried about it and you want some peace of mind NROTC might be the way to go.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have most certainly seen guys who have gone through ROTC not get pilot or NFO, even though they were their first two choices.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just curious what you mean by that. My experience is that everything is taught regarding the active duty fleet. If you're referring to the way things are run in NROTC, I can kind of understand, but either way I think it's mostly preparation for active duty. Do they still commission people directly to the reserves anymore?

Taught is one thing, understanding or knowing the real Navy is different. NROTC is not the real Navy. How do I know? Maybe my 14+ years active duty experience tells me so. You know the basics, salute, formation, your yes sirs but there's a lot more to it than that. The best training are the cruises but going to a drill unit twice a week isn't the Navy.