• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy or NROTC?

NathanH

Hi, I'm a sophomore in high school and want to be a Naval Aviator. What are the benefits and negatives of going the the Academy vs. NROTC? Do I have a better chance of getting a training slot with one or the other?

Thanks for the advice,
Nathan

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Have you fully researched the NROTC and USNA threads here? I would recommend you do that first. I know this question has been discussed in depth in the not so distant past. If you don't find a current link or thread, then we'll gladly chime in.
Cheers,
Schnugg

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Do you want to drink beer and get laid... Which I assume, at least in part, is the reason you want to be a Naval Aviator???

Answer that question and if it comes back the way I expect, then apply to the ROTC of your choice!! :D
Unless you are a chick then ask the same question without the beer and if that comes back the way I expect, then apply to the Academy... :eek:

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Better suggestion:

State school (in-state tuition), tech degree, 3 years on BDCP.

If I could do it all again this is what I would do... ROTC would be my 2nd choice.

BDCP allows you to get selected for a pilot slot early on and then the Navy pays you for the rest of school. I don't know all the specifics but it's the best deal...

MasterBates

BDCP = Gauranteed SNA slot (or SNFO if you apply for that)
ROTC = Service selection, which may or may not go your way

Oh, and time in BDCP counts towards retirement, and years of service for pay purposes. Most of us BDCPers were getting O-1 over 2 at commissioning.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Being an NROTC grad a while ago (93), the plus for me was living the college life, a civilian life. NROTC is the reserves and doesn't teach a whole lot about the real Navy. I guess the mid-cruises are for that. I tell you though, if BDCP gets you an aviation slot, hard to beat that one. Takes a lot of pressure off wondering whether or not you will select aviation after all the hard work put into school.

NathanH

Thanks for the advice guys. I have used the search engine, as well as reading many other threads on this great site. I just haven't found a lot of information that helps me decide which direction to take... I mean, I don't want to go the Naval Academy route, not get selected for pilot training, and then owe eight years to the NAVY.

How does the selection process for a training slot actually work? Back to my original question, will I have a better chance of getting a training slot if I go to the academy?

MasterBates

Your best chance for an aviation garuantee is BCDP/OCS.

You don't have to sign if you don't get selected for Pilot/NFO

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Nathan, In my opinion what ever you choose there are benefits and draw backs. Im in NROTC now and I applied countless times to USNA, right now I still wish I could go there.

That being said I have half a dozen friends at USNA that wish they could be in NROTC, and one of them actually was in NROTC before got picked up for the academy and now wishes he could go back.

At the end of the day you get the same commission and you have the same chance of being a naval aviator.

An unexpected benefit that I have found is that I am going to graduate a semester early. You cant do that at USNA, so I get to start flying faster.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I mean, I don't want to go the Naval Academy route, not get selected for pilot training, and then owe eight years to the NAVY.

USNA min committment is 5 years.

Guess what you will owe the Navy if and when you get your wings??? :eek:

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Better suggestion:

State school (in-state tuition), tech degree, 3 years on BDCP.

Better suggestion... your state's football teams suck... go to a different STATE school.

I may be biased. God I want it to be football season. (PM me or start a new thread if you want to discuss this, I don't want to jack this one.)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the advice guys. I have used the search engine, as well as reading many other threads on this great site. I just haven't found a lot of information that helps me decide which direction to take... I mean, I don't want to go the Naval Academy route, not get selected for pilot training, and then owe eight years to the NAVY.

How does the selection process for a training slot actually work? Back to my original question, will I have a better chance of getting a training slot if I go to the academy?

I see an issue in your statement. I understand where you're coming from but you're an officer first, aviator second. You have to be willing to accept that fate of not being an aviator if not selected, then serving your committment. I'm not knocking, I certainly wouldn't want to be in the Navy and not be an aviator but the reality is what I said.