• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy Cancels Herndon

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Glad I got out of there when I did...Tuesday was my heavy drinking night...

I was there for that wild man in the air vent, classic. That was back in King Hall where after a wild man the plebe was had more choices on how to escape.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Answers to what I can:

About 2/3 of the Brigade is in King. The other 3rd is still in Dahlgren. I think we're due sometime this semester to all go into King.

Asassinations? I saw one or two this year... none during Army week. It was pretty locked up in King/Dahlgren... seriously... supposed to create a more fleet like wardroom atmosphere. They even put flat screens that play the news sometimes in King.

Our Batt was pretty locked up; I mean, it was REAL bad, 3 decks were just destroyed. Supposedly, there was even feces mixed with shaving cream on 6-0. I live in 6-2 and was still able to smell sh!t, no joke... we had our plebes on 6-3 febreeeze our company area to get rid of the smell. I felt like I was in a mix of a Glade factory and a dairy farm or something.

After it got all locked up, we got permission (since we helped clean up) to have some REALLY good carrier landings with the whole company for a couple hours. Plebes v. upperclass, class v. class, it was great; we filled the P-way with soapy water and people on the bulkhead would pour more on you as you slid down.

As far as Herndon, we had the same thing happen to us: we climbed up, got the combo cover on and then had to reclimb it because the Dixie Cup was taped down. Anyway - for the 98 guys, why the hell did a 97 girl (your classes' youngsters???) do that? How'd you all know she did it?

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
"Tradionally" the youngsters in 1st company do all the prep work for Herndon. Don't know if that is still the case, but that is most likely why a youngster taped it down. Now why it was done to that extreme? Only she knows.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
"Tradionally" the youngsters in 1st company do all the prep work for Herndon. Don't know if that is still the case, but that is most likely why a youngster taped it down. Now why it was done to that extreme? Only she knows.

That may still be the case... I just didn't know that tradition.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm glad to see they are making Sea Trials closed to outside observers. When we did it they tried to make it as tough as they could (no one could watch it) but I couldn't imagine Plebes would take it too seriously if their mom and dad were right there cheering them on.

The Muffin Man

I love how they're making a big deal out of people hurting themselves by climbing Herndon.. Im willing to be there are way more injuries from sea trials than Herndon.

The justification for the many policies at the academy baffles me. The newest one just makes me laugh - You can't be in anyone elses room past 12am at night irregardless of sex. While others they're trying to enforce just piss me off - like the required out of rack with lights on at 0630 for no reason at all.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
The previous superintendent, now-retired Vice Adm. Rodney P. Rempt, opened the trials for parents and sponsors to watch, but the new superintendent, Vice Adm. Jeffrey L. Fowler, aims to make Sea Trials more of a training exercise. Also under Adm. Rempt, the week before Commissioning Week for seniors was called Recognition Week, for the freshmen and their families. That week of festivities will be curtailed, Cmdr. Austin said, and the term "Recognition Week" will no longer be used."Completing plebe year is an important first step in the development of midshipmen," he said, "but it is just one of many significant elements in a four-year process." The Plebe Parents Dinner and the Welcome Parade, all parts of the week of celebrations, "have been discontinued," Cmdr. Austin said. Under the previous administration, the Herndon Climb was followed by the Plebe Recognition Ceremony, when freshmen received the insignia of third year midshipmen. Now, the ceremony has been abolished, Cmdr. Austin said. "Promotion to midshipman third class (sophomores) will occur upon graduation of the Class of 2008 on May 23," Cmdr. Austin said.

Well at least they came to their senses and got that part right. I hated plebes having their parents their and then when they moved herndon from commissioning week and then when they promoted the plebes early. That was wrong in so many ways. At least the sup has fixed one part of the problem. But seriously though where do they get people from who think they need to fix herndon or army week or any of the traditions at the academy?

Hell the timing of herndon is meaningless in terms of fastest class. They keep restricting what you can do to the monument. Hell when I got out of there in '06 the plebes had almost no lard on there at all. I think the covered was only allowed to be held with two small pieces of tape. The stupid rules are taking the fun out of the tradition. I mean when we did herndon we had to saw our cap off the top of it too. I know, the damn knife almost fell and hit me. Would I change herndon though? Not a chance.

trogdor

pilot
I think this refrain to end or seriously change herndon is pretty dated. I can remember when I was a plebe (circa 2003) there was a certain 1st batt. CDR (you all should know who I am talking about) who wanted to "end" the climb early 2nd semester but low and behold, come May we were climbing a greased up phallic monument. I can even remember our company officer jumping on the bandwagon and asking us what is the training value in the exercise. I think at that point we asked him what was the training value in chopping....

Then again with everything that has changed up there this year, I wouldn't be all that surprised if they put the kibosh on it. It would be a shame and I think the alumni reaction would be similar to when they changed blue and gold, but angrier...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I remember said battallion officer, and the attempt to squash Herndon. I also remember being out in the hallway when she got a call to go speak to the 'Dant about her ideas (I was Bn Staff). She didn't look too happy.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Wow, so true. Yeah, they told us only a limited amount of plebes would climb or that we'd have to have a "plan" to climb Herndon. Honestly, try stopping a mob of 1200 Plebes who are ready to become Youngsters.

Koozer

hmm, by "limited" number of mids I wonder who they will choose. I would let all the females climb just so I could stop hearing about the gender injustice.

phrogpilot73

Hell when I got out of there in '06 the plebes had almost no lard on there at all....
The more things changes, the more they remain the same. The rules are not changing the tradition. My Dad participated in Herndon with the class of '63. They ran from graduation in Halsey (what was done at that time), to Herndon and climbed an ungreased monument in choker whites. So, 1200 pounds of lard and 3 rolls of packing tape are not what make the tradition.