• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy Cancels Herndon

B

bacardi00185

Recently spoke to a firstie and word has it that there will be no Herndon for the plebes this year because of "safety concerns..."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Harrier Dude's "Total Risk Avoidance" plan is succeeding beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

cisforsmasher

pilot
or did the PC bunch finally have their way about climbing a big greasy phallus to become a man? I cant wait to see the alumni reaction on this one.

Rubiks06

pilot
Every year I was there they talked about canceling it too. Ill believe it when i see it. If it does get canked though they better have 24 hour watches posted on that thing because I guarantee that there is an impromptu one.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Seriously. If they are truly going to cancel it, they should consider at least doing it without the lard first (like was originally done). At least keep the climb intact.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I bet the alumni association will go bananas if this comes to pass.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ok... I'm declaring shenanigans. This is total bullsh*t from the administration.

They were talking of canceling Herndon when I was there. The worst injury I remember from that day was a sprained ankle.

crazed1529

I would almost expect it. The way things are going, it doesn't really surprise me at all. But hey, they probably have a really good idea to replace it like maybe . . . I don't know . . . a parade.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Exactly, something to display the teamwork and professionalism learned by the plebe class.

Oh, and The Bubba:
shenanigans7sy.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You got it wrong. They aren't cancelling it. The 'Dant said that the Administration is "reviewing" Herndon and they are going to "make it safer." She said that it will be based on how "Sea Trials" go or something like that. She also mentioned that the first class to climb had ladders.

We'll see. Anything you're hearing other than that (from Mids at least) is pure speculation. Needless to say, even this news of it not being cancelled but being made safter was not well recieved by the Brigade.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Well, if this comes to pass, there will be one less reason to ever go back.

Junior

pilot
You got it wrong. They aren't cancelling it. The 'Dant said that the Administration is "reviewing" Herndon and they are going to "make it safer." She said that it will be based on how "Sea Trials" go or something like that. She also mentioned that the first class to climb had ladders.

We'll see. Anything you're hearing other than that (from Mids at least) is pure speculation. Needless to say, even this news of it not being cancelled but being made safter was not well recieved by the Brigade.
Some traditions never need to be "reviewed", ever. I feel for you guys who are there now. Only 4 years ago it was a much different place. Off topic, how was Army week with that Mideast peace conference there and all?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

So they're going to/consider the use ladders now for Herndon? Doesn't that take the fun of it???:confused:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Actually, I heard that the administration is going to spend $93 million dollars to build an elevator capable of lifting the entire plebe class from the ground to the top of the monument.

The hold up is not because of funding (it'll come out of the GWOT supplemental appropriations funds), but because the testing for the robotic arm that will place the cover on top of the monument has run into technical issues where the supercomputer integrates into the hydraulic actuators.

Fear not! The engineers and program managers are on top of these developments and should have a workable solution in time for the class of 2093 to use it. Technically, then, the activity as a whole is not cancelled. It's just postponed until adequate safety measures are put in place.

For those of you thinking "This is a waste of time and money! It worked fine before with just a few bumps and bruises.", I would counter that if it saves just one mid from receiving even one injury, no matter how slight, then this is money well spent.

Get with the program people! This is safety we're talking about!! Since I have uttered the "S" word, any dissention with my post will be met with irrational cries of "SAFETY VIOLATOR!!!!!".