• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy Cancels Herndon

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Huh? Please explain for us unwashed.

Female CDR who graduated ~1980 (before women were allowed to qualify for pins, I think), never got a warfare qual, yet felt the need to ruin the life of every midshipmen she came across (especially white males, imo).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Female CDR who graduated ~1980 (before women were allowed to qualify for pins, I think), never got a warfare qual, yet felt the need to ruin the life of every midshipmen she came across (especially white males, imo).

What was her job (Commandant or Assistant Commandant)? What about designator?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Was she one of the GURLs--General Unrestricted Line community? I remember people talking about that community when they had it, and now I realize that it must've been like being stashed, forever.

a_m

None
Was she one of the GURLs--General Unrestricted Line community? I remember people talking about that community when they had it, and now I realize that it must've been like being stashed, forever.

Yes, that rings a bell.

cisforsmasher

pilot
i remember having the displeasure of having to share a meal with her. What I remember of the conversation, she worked doing radar development and the like. I think she eventually ended up in the recruiting command.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I saw one eventually get SOSUS, which is, apparently a warfare designator, listening to sonobuoys (are they really called buoys if they're on the seabed) between Greenland, Iceland, and the UK.

a_m

None
i remember having the displeasure of having to share a meal with her. What I remember of the conversation, she worked doing radar development and the like. I think she eventually ended up in the recruiting command.

I believe she picked up O6 and headed for NAPS.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm glad to see they are making Sea Trials closed to outside observers. When we did it they tried to make it as tough as they could (no one could watch it) but I couldn't imagine Plebes would take it too seriously if their mom and dad were right there cheering them on.

It's only a very few select phases they were allowed to see. But even that, I did think was kind of stupid, I too think it's a step in the right direction.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well at least they came to their senses and got that part right. I hated plebes having their parents their and then when they moved herndon from commissioning week and then when they promoted the plebes early. That was wrong in so many ways. At least the sup has fixed one part of the problem. But seriously though where do they get people from who think they need to fix herndon or army week or any of the traditions at the academy?

Hell the timing of herndon is meaningless in terms of fastest class. They keep restricting what you can do to the monument. Hell when I got out of there in '06 the plebes had almost no lard on there at all. I think the covered was only allowed to be held with two small pieces of tape. The stupid rules are taking the fun out of the tradition. I mean when we did herndon we had to saw our cap off the top of it too. I know, the damn knife almost fell and hit me. Would I change herndon though? Not a chance.

Every negative press incident is causing a lot of the change, or so that is the general resentment among mids these days. I've been told countless times "if you wildman someone, and there is a reporter from the Baltimore Sun/Washington Post/insert Academy-hating newspaper here in King/Dahlgren Hall and they saw it, how does that make the Academy look?"

Second, if it makes you feel better, I tended to think my class' Herndon had a quite a bit of lard. I was one of the first to get to the monument, and I remember thinking to my surprise 1) how bad it smelled as the lard just cooked in the sun and 2) how thick the lard was. I thought it was a light coating, but it was enough that I could stick my hand in, run it up the monument and then throw off baseball size amounts of lard off. Took us at least an hour if not more just to get the lard all off I'd say. I remember using white works shirts to start wiping it with my classmates.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Female CDR who graduated ~1980 (before women were allowed to qualify for pins, I think), never got a warfare qual, yet felt the need to ruin the life of every midshipmen she came across (especially white males, imo).[/quote

Well she definitely wasn't the last batt-o like that. The current third batt o is an undesignated female 0-6 who came straight here from a prison. Again, she acts like the purpose of her existence is to ruin the lives of male midshipmen. I guess commanding a prison gave her the necessary experience?:(

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Was the one you're talking about that went to NAPS a former OIC for plebe summer, say 07's plebe summer?