• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

Igloojam

pilot
They tasted like Freedom and America, and I washed them down with the Justice and Liberty coffee. If there are no donuts at church at OCS I don't know what we're fighting for.

No they didn't. They tasted like weakness. Maybe if people didn't eat the donuts there would be less Article 115 violators.

Safashton

That's rough. Looks like I need to start cutting back the joe ahead of time then.

As a regular caffeine addict, typically consuming 1 coffee a day and 2 to 3 cans of mountain dew, I quit caffeine cold turkey about two months ago for 2 weeks straight. First 5 days were absolutely effing miserable. Massive headaches, restless, couldn't sleep, and irritable. Once about day 6 and 7 rolled around, was doing a lot better. Since then I reintroduced it on a monitored few times a week basis. I actually get the caffeine buzz, I didn't even remember what that was like, since caffeine wasn't a energy crutch, but rather a crutch to not get a headache. Definitely recommend quitting now to break the habit as it takes a week to really break it and break the withdrawal symptoms, at least in my experience.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
I hate to revive this thread, but honestly I am little bit worried about what to expect, I like to think I am a good learner and listener and I am just worried about DORing the only thing that keeps me "motivated" is that the only way to leave OCS is to graduate, I really want this career and be part of the finest. :(

AULANI

Not true, you can get kicked out of OCS. Just because you don't DOR doesn't mean you'll eventually graduate. Good luck!

Igloojam

pilot
Not true, you can get kicked out of OCS. Just because you don't DOR doesn't mean you'll eventually graduate. Good luck!

Ya that’s veryyy unlikely. Unless you have some ridiculous medical issue.

I hate to revive this thread, but honestly I am little bit worried about what to expect, I like to think I am a good learner and listener and I am just worried about DORing the only thing that keeps me "motivated" is that the only way to leave OCS is to graduate, I really want this career and be part of the finest. :(

Dude you’ll be fine. It’s not that bad.

AULANI

Ya that’s veryyy unlikely. Unless you have some ridiculous medical issue.
I didn't mean for medical issues. There were quite a few ass-clowns that just got kicked out for being well... ass-clowns. The only guy I know that had to leave for medical reasons was something that medical should have caught before he got to OCS and unfortunately they didn't. The guy was really motivated too so it was a shame.

I wasn't trying to scare the guy, just didn't want him to think that as long as you don't DOR they just let you finish. 98% of each class graduates on time.

Safashton

I graduated Last March. I was a previous AWS1 Naval Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer for 9 years. Honestly, I thought OCS was pretty awful. Worst than enlisted bootcamp, but appropriately stressful and honestly, perhaps not hard enough. Not really sure what keeps everyone going, mine was mostly dignity, wanting to be a pilot, and not letting my wife and kids down.

But seriously, OCS sucks, really no other way to put it. Everything pretty much is awful. Although, getting to Candio phase was generally a relief, not having to do chow procedures, being able consume soda again, and generally not doing the standard candidate stuff was pretty awesome, although, I was really stressed out during this phase since I was the REGCOM which was actually pretty rewarding experience.

Show up in shape, have all of Appendix Bravo memorized, and just do it. I did all three of those things I just mentioned and it was perfect for success. I got to sleep while my roommate stayed up studying Appx. Bravo. My first 2 weeks were particularly awful, especially week 2, since apparantly I arrived with Mono, which I was practically a Zombie week 2 and Fast cruise was in slow motion essentially. However, LUCKILY, I went just before Christmas, did fast cruise and immediately that afternoon went on 2 weeks of leave, which was a life saver, let me recover and get well enough that the Docs didn't roll me when I returned.

As a side note, there are bunches of people who literally DOR first few days, and the pain hadn't even started yet, just yelling and stress, no physical training at all. My good buddy was one class behind me, also a prior enlisted, DOR'd in week 4, and within 24 hours realized he made a terrible choice and Un-DOR'd and got back to training and is down in Pensacola for flight training.

It sucks, but after that first beating and you make it through it, you realize you can make it through all of it.

Good luck

I didn't mean for medical issues. There were quite a few ass-clowns that just got kicked out for being well... ass-clowns. The only guy I know that had to leave for medical reasons was something that medical should have caught before he got to OCS and unfortunately they didn't. The guy was really motivated too so it was a shame.

I wasn't trying to scare the guy, just didn't want him to think that as long as you don't DOR they just let you finish. 98% of each class graduates on time.

98% huh? That seems awfully high given that in my experience we saw 1/3rd to 1/5th of every class roll for varied things.

I saw several people that didn't commission - and with good reason. A couple they kept rolling until they DOR'd. A couple others graduated OCS but rolled over to student pool and were eventually separated. Average of less than 1 per class. Also saw a fair number of DOR at every stage, including a couple of CANDIOs (one over his fiance, another for unclear reasons). Saw two Candio's get SEAWALL'd, and several others roll days away from graduation.

The program, even a couple of years ago before they started rolling these changes out, was no joke, though some certainly treated it that way.

aribjc

OCS is painfully easy and after the first 2-3 weeks can honestly become fun. No shit I had a blast, just don’t show up fat and out of shape like some people decide to do for some reason and don’t be that guy that takes everything too seriously

Last edited:

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
I graduated Last March. I was a previous AWS1 Naval Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer for 9 years. Honestly, I thought OCS was pretty awful. Worst than enlisted bootcamp, but appropriately stressful and honestly, perhaps not hard enough. Not really sure what keeps everyone going, mine was mostly dignity, wanting to be a pilot, and not letting my wife and kids down.

But seriously, OCS sucks, really no other way to put it. Everything pretty much is awful. Although, getting to Candio phase was generally a relief, not having to do chow procedures, being able consume soda again, and generally not doing the standard candidate stuff was pretty awesome, although, I was really stressed out during this phase since I was the REGCOM which was actually pretty rewarding experience.

Show up in shape, have all of Appendix Bravo memorized, and just do it. I did all three of those things I just mentioned and it was perfect for success. I got to sleep while my roommate stayed up studying Appx. Bravo. My first 2 weeks were particularly awful, especially week 2, since apparantly I arrived with Mono, which I was practically a Zombie week 2 and Fast cruise was in slow motion essentially. However, LUCKILY, I went just before Christmas, did fast cruise and immediately that afternoon went on 2 weeks of leave, which was a life saver, let me recover and get well enough that the Docs didn't roll me when I returned.

As a side note, there are bunches of people who literally DOR first few days, and the pain hadn't even started yet, just yelling and stress, no physical training at all. My good buddy was one class behind me, also a prior enlisted, DOR'd in week 4, and within 24 hours realized he made a terrible choice and Un-DOR'd and got back to training and is down in Pensacola for flight training.

It sucks, but after that first beating and you make it through it, you realize you can make it through all of it.

Good luck
I wish I can like this again and again.