• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
How should one mentally prepare for OCS? Especially for the Marine DI's?

I'm working on a perfect PRT (trying to fine tune form right now), and I'm basically working out every minute I get. I also have most of the Big 5 memorized and I'm trying to practice saying them ballistically when I'm driving alone in the car.

Do you have any more tips? Thanks a ton guys! Feel free to call me names if I'm embarrassing myself here haha
Yeah, stop nuking it. I'm glad you're in shape and have the gouge memorized (I did the same thing), but the rest of OCS is meant to be experienced in all its glory. Live life and enjoy it right now. Brush up on info related to the community you are joining. Work on your hobby or pick one up, it'll be there after your three months of training.

Igloojam

pilot
How should one mentally prepare for OCS? Especially for the Marine DI's?

I'm working on a perfect PRT (trying to fine tune form right now), and I'm basically working out every minute I get. I also have most of the Big 5 memorized and I'm trying to practice saying them ballistically when I'm driving alone in the car.

Do you have any more tips? Thanks a ton guys! Feel free to call me names if I'm embarrassing myself here haha

bro... don't worry about it... you don't need "special" preparation for the DIs. There is only one of them and theyre not bad at all... youll be fine.

SWOMan

bro... don't worry about it... you don't need "special" preparation for the DIs. There is only one of them and theyre not bad at all... youll be fine.
The only thing he should make sure of.... never call Master SGT a Gunny, or worse Master Chief.... it won't be pretty.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The only thing he should make sure of.... never call Master SGT a Gunny, or worse Master Chief.... it won't be pretty.

My hatchmate was on autopilot after RLP and he responded "Aye Aye Chief" to our class Gunny when he told us to get back into our hatch after we were both done (we were inspected by a Chief). Our Gunny chased us into our hatch and I would have bet any amount of money that we were about to have round 2 right there.

Don't make that mistake.

13ad13boy85

Apparently yes. All SNAs from my class got 13 weeks of OHARP and the word is to expect another 2-3 month wait in A-pool. NFOs are going straight down to Pcola and pretty much starting immediately.

Rooms are shared between 2 people with their own head and sink, and then two rooms share two showers. Personal cell phone use is not authorized until Candio phase begins in the middle of week 9. Weeks 1-3 you're restricted to sending and receiving letters, after RLP you get a 15 minute phone call each weekend/holiday and have access to email. Either way I would be prepared for 9 weeks of not a whole lot of contact.
Is it best to have bills set up to pay automatically, or will there be time for that?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Is it best to have bills set up to pay automatically, or will there be time for that?

I would not plan on having any time at least the first 6 weeks for unrestricted internet access, so definitely have auto pay set up before hand and maybe have a family member check on it every couple of weeks or so to make sure there are no issues.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

A smart recruiter should have told you to plan not having access to pay bills/finances for at least 8 weeks.

I would have everything set on auto bill pay or simply deferred while you're at OCS.

13ad13boy85

A smart recruiter should have told you to plan not having access to pay bills/finances for at least 8 weeks.

I would have everything set on auto bill pay or simply deferred while you're at OCS.

Why would you talk down on the same kind? I'm almost positive my recruiter graduated OCS before Dec 2016 and doesn't know how each
I would not plan on having any time at least the first 6 weeks for unrestricted internet access, so definitely have auto pay set up before hand and maybe have a family member check on it every couple of weeks or so to make sure there are no issues.

class will be.
Thanks for the current info.

dd336

Just saw an updated packing list on OTC's website and it says to bring a weeks worth of laundry detergent...can any recent grads comment on this?

Not really necessary from my experience. Everyone in the platoon gets issued detergent (which is communal) and you can always grab more at PX calls. I just found this list for incoming 2017 classes you might want to check out: https://www.fexgear.com/single-post/2017/02/25/OCS-Packing-List-USMC-2017 . They list a bunch of stuff I sure as hell forgot to bring that would have made my life so much easier.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Not really necessary from my experience. Everyone in the platoon gets issued detergent (which is communal) and you can always grab more at PX calls. I just found this list for incoming 2017 classes you might want to check out: https://www.fexgear.com/single-post/2017/02/25/OCS-Packing-List-USMC-2017 . They list a bunch of stuff I sure as hell forgot to bring that would have made my life so much easier.

This page is for navy OCS, not USMC. Information from one might not reflect the other.

Igloojam

pilot

Bad gouge is bad... navy OCS does not get communal detergent... Rufio is correct... marine OCS is not the same navy OCS.

Navy OCSers continue to bring detergent.

slyfox

I've been looking for the answer to this all over, but I cannot find it, so I thought I would ask it here: Right now, to prepare for the PFT (I still have 3 years of college) I'm running 2 miles at a 7:30 pace and then will decrease my mile time gradually with two mile runs at a faster pace. My question is, what is the average pace of the runs they have you do during OCS? I know they are around 2-3, maybe even 3-5 miles, but I do not know what the pace is that they run at.

Thanks.