• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

xmid

pilot
Contributor
So the HUD is just blank (clear) without anything on it until they fix it? The HUD doesn't power up with the rest of the systems?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So the HUD is just blank (clear) without anything on it until they fix it? The HUD doesn't power up with the rest of the systems?

In the T-45 you have to turn the HUD on seperately, so maybe it works in a similar manner. All of the TS syllabus flights prior to Fams (ie BI, RI sims) specify that you not use the HUD (since you will be in the back cockpit in the jet for them). I can't remember if we were allowed to use them for early stage airnavs, but the bottom line is that it was kind of a big deal when you get to start using it.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
In the T-45 you have to turn the HUD on seperately, so maybe it works in a similar manner. All of the TS syllabus flights prior to Fams (ie BI, RI sims) specify that you not use the HUD (since you will be in the back cockpit in the jet for them). I can't remember if we were allowed to use them for early stage airnavs, but the bottom line is that it was kind of a big deal when you get to start using it.

Early stage ANs we were still in the back of the plane, so no HUD.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
So I don't report until September... And I've been told we are waiting like 8 months after that to even start API... That said, do you think this will die down by then or will it be the super weeding out time?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have as much clue as anyone does. There's no way to predict stuff like that. Enjoy whatever time off you have, and just be ready to kick ass when you do start.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So I don't report until September... And I've been told we are waiting like 8 months after that to even start API... That said, do you think this will die down by then or will it be the super weeding out time?

If you're part of YG10, you're part of the "problem" and the standards will still be high.

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
i actually got called to class up for api this week so i start in two days. I got word from a shipmate that is two classes in front of me that the new average needed to get into primary is a nss of 43 which requires an average of 93 or so on each exam. the prt and pt is worth 10% of the nass. and the other exams are worth: 13% (weather), 24% (nav), 15% and 15/16% (aero 1 and 2), 15% (eng), and 7% (frr).

everyone is working harder to ensure a spot in primary. i hope this can help everyone out. here is the link to the pubs, but i am sure that everyone knows where to find this. here it is anyway:
https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/api/api.htm
i hope everyone does well.

I think we need a completely separate board for NSS discussions, because this just gets repeated over and over again.. and it's getting boring. NSS is a MOVING SCALE, and by the way, you have no idea how to calculate it. Stop worrying about that crap and just work your ass off and learn the shit. Talking about the "minimum NSS" to pass makes eveyrone sound like they want to do the bare minimum.. period. Not the right attitude to walk into flight school with. Besides, worrying about it is only going to make you lose sleep, not get better.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I think we need a completely separate board for NSS discussions, because this just gets repeated over and over again.. and it's getting boring. NSS is a MOVING SCALE, and by the way, you have no idea how to calculate it. Stop worrying about that crap and just work your ass off and learn the shit. Talking about the "minimum NSS" to pass makes eveyrone sound like they want to do the bare minimum.. period. Not the right attitude to walk into flight school with. Besides, worrying about it is only going to make you lose sleep, not get better.

Actually in this specific case he is correct. That is very similar to the NSS formula they used to make the cuts in '05. In this case the minimum NSS to continue will require them to do well above the minimum level of work normally required for API.

Agreed that worrying won't help at all. They all just have to do their best and things will work out how they work out.

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
Actually in this specific case he is correct. That is very similar to the NSS formula they used to make the cuts in '05. In this case the minimum NSS to continue will require them to do well above the minimum level of work normally required for API.

Agreed that worrying won't help at all. They all just have to do their best and things will work out how they work out.

Not trying to squash the validity of "the formula", but you can't plug a number into the formula until you get the score for the test you just took, and if you bombed the test, then the formula didn't really help in the first place. Maybe I'm treating this as a pet peeve.. It's not like I didn't worry about it when I went through or that I don't take a peek at the mins every time I am being evlauated. :) I've just seen a lot of briefs and flights go down the tubes because the stud was nervous about things that were out of their control. Your whole career is going to feel high-threat up until you're a level III in the fleet anyway!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
My whole beef isn't with NSS..it's with that you don't know how you are doing compared to other students...if I'm getting 4's and 5's in the early stages of Primary, are the others doing the same when MIF is low? I know I know the whole "just do your best it will all work out" spiel, but is average really average? Is above average actually average? etc etc...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Does it really matter? The answer, as it has always and forever shall be, is NO.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
My whole beef isn't with NSS..it's with that you don't know how you are doing compared to other students...if I'm getting 4's and 5's in the early stages of Primary, are the others doing the same when MIF is low? I know I know the whole "just do your best it will all work out" spiel, but is average really average? Is above average actually average? etc etc...

Your summary sheets now have block NSS on them. That's roughly how you stack up against your peers, in that block.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
What's that saying? If it wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum? ;)