• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
In Meridian the avg is always posted so you know if you will make the cut for each stage which makes it 100% necessary to know where you stand. Otherwise you might be headed to a pink sheet/PRB. Not sure how they do it now that they moved to the MIF system.

It's still above/below here in Meridian.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Seriously? No its not all sunshine and smiles, and I have had my fair share of heinous YOU SUCK debriefs. I respect you for having been to the fleet and back, but I disagree with your outlook about grades not being important.
Have I ever said grades weren't important? Ever?

Nope, I said that worrying about NSS doesn't do SHIT.

Enjoy your fleet tour, which will surely never burn you out and won't ever task you beyond your abilities.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot

Enjoy your fleet tour, which will surely never burn you out and won't ever task you beyond your abilities.

That is good to hear! I was getting a little worried about that.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
In Meridian the avg is always posted so you know if you will make the cut for each stage which makes it 100% necessary to know where you stand. Otherwise you might be headed to a pink sheet/PRB. Not sure how they do it now that they moved to the MIF system.

All of the training squadrons used to be like that. You knew how much "money" you had to make in your remaining flights to either achieve certain goals or to simply complete. Both systems come up with a grade point average and lots of GPAs are bell-curved to calculate each person's NSS. MIF (MPTS) is a little hazier only because there is a lot of variation possible in the number of graded items on each flight and in all of the events put together. That makes X "net aboves" in MPTS is an approximation (although not ridiculously far off) and that's the debate- should the squadron post something to the effect of "If you finish stage ___ with ___ items above MIF then your NSS will probably be about 45-55. If you have ___ items above MIF then you might or might not be marginal..."?

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor

great grades = good NSS (99% of the time) piss poor grades always = shitty NSS. Its not black magic both are directly correlated to each other so its pretty ignorant to say you care about grades, but not the measuring stick that will judge you.
The most frustrating thing I have seen happen to buddies of mine is to be told they are doing very well by instructors that are clueless as to where the average is, and then selection time rolls around and the wing says sorry below average. That is the main reason I advocate the importance of knowing where you really stand. Too many people are lured into a false sense of security only to be crushed when they get their final score.

I'm sure my fleet tour will be great. Thanks!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
great grades = good NSS (99% of the time) piss poor grades always = shitty NSS. Its not black magic both are directly correlated to each other so its pretty ignorant to say you care about grades, but not the measuring stick that will judge you.
The most frustrating thing I have seen happen to buddies of mine is to be told they are doing very well by instructors that are clueless as to where the average is, and then selection time rolls around and the wing says sorry below average. That is the main reason I advocate the importance of knowing where you really stand. Too many people are lured into a false sense of security only to be crushed when they get their final score.

I'm sure my fleet tour will be great. Thanks!

I saw the same thing, and at VT-6 we were fed a huge helping of shit if we ever asked about our NSS. I saw several guys that were told "great job, keep it up" and never failed anything only to find out in the end that they had fallen painfully short in the NSS department. Part of the problem was that some guys graded the old school above, below, average, and some guys graded to the CTS standards. If you ended up with an on-wing or flew alot of flights with someone that graded to CTS you ended up with better grades. If you just judge your flights by what the instructors tell you at the end and the fact that you haven't gotten a pink sheet, you may be in for a little surprise...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Which, again - you have ZERO control over.

Bah, whatever, just keep worrying over it. I'm sure it'll make your studying that much better.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I find that knowing your NSS doesn't necessarily mean you will study harder, because you should've been working as hard as you can in the first place. However, I do like to know what mine is though, mainly to have a benchmark of my performance simply because it is comforting to know (particularly when your goal at selection requires a minimum score). At the very least it's a strong sense of curiosity and at the most it's that I don't feel comfortable just not knowing what it is (and there are quite a few others with that personality trait). I understand that knowing it is not the most important thing in the world, and that to know final NSS is impossible, but having some kind of concrete number at least takes some of the mystery away, which is what a lot of people want.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I found that I didn't really care what my NSS was until I was told I couldn't ask for it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Part of the problem was that some guys graded the old school above, below, average, and some guys graded to the CTS standards. If you ended up with an on-wing or flew alot of flights with someone that graded to CTS you ended up with better grades.

Or what happened in another squadron, instructor gave one dude all 5's on his last few flights during a cross country. Talk about skewing the NSS for a few weeks, although some pee pee's did get schwacked for that move.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Or what happened in another squadron, instructor gave one dude all 5's on his last few flights during a cross country. Talk about skewing the NSS for a few weeks, although some pee pee's did get schwacked for that move.

Thats good headwork on the students part for taking that dude on a CCX!

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Not too different happened here in Meridian. It turns out apparently going on a guy's last set of flights can hook you in a big way.

*RUMOR, HEARSAY, ETC*

Just heard from a friend in API that somebody broke in to FLT MGMT over the weekend and stole copies of the tests. The theft was discovered (not the thief...yet) and now everybody in weeks 1-4 are on hold until the situation is resolved. I know all about desperate measures for desperate times, but to go full retard this early in the first quarter...

I just feel sorry for all the law abiding students who are going to pay for this jackassery. And the instructors too, who will have to re-write all the tests (I assume).

Anybody know some more about this?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
*RUMOR, HEARSAY, ETC*

Just heard from a friend in API that somebody broke in to FLT MGMT over the weekend and stole copies of the tests. The theft was discovered (not the thief...yet) and now everybody in weeks 1-4 are on hold until the situation is resolved. I know all about desperate measures for desperate times, but to go full retard this early in the first quarter...

I just feel sorry for all the law abiding students who are going to pay for this jackassery. And the instructors too, who will have to re-write all the tests (I assume).

Anybody know some more about this?

And here I thought NASC O-1s could get no dumber.

But seriously, this is probably not something to post here, especially given the "rumor, hearsay, etc." disclaimer.