• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

sfrankie08

pilot
is average really average? Is above average actually average? etc etc...
Average is always ... average. MIF does not equal average. There are people who graduate with a high NSS and on the flip side you've got the people who finish with a low NSS..
I agree with HawkeyeHandler...it is out of your control. You can go out and fly the same hop with 2 instructors (do exactly the same on each hop) and get graded differently by each IP. (I'm not complaining about this, just stating the facts). It is what it is. Just do your best. Does it stink that you have to have a higher NSS for API right now? Yes. Sorry. Just do your best.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
My whole beef isn't with NSS..it's with that you don't know how you are doing compared to other students...if I'm getting 4's and 5's in the early stages of Primary, are the others doing the same when MIF is low? I know I know the whole "just do your best it will all work out" spiel, but is average really average? Is above average actually average? etc etc...

Make friends with the Stucon civilians. Keep your jacket squared away and take a few minutes to talk to them whenever you pass by. If you do that you will always know how you stack up because even if you don't have an exact NSS they can give you the current avg and you can see if you are above or below it.

Does it really matter? The answer, as it has always and forever shall be, is NO.

Yes it matters. While doing your best every waking moment is a nice utopian view, the truth is we burn out or get complacent from time to time. For many if they see they are starting to fall behind it may be the motivation they need pick up the pace and push harder.

I will also be the first to say that I "worried" about grades the whole way through.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I will also be the first to say that I "worried" about grades the whole way through.

I think anyone who had an idea of what they wanted to fly after Primary were concerned with where they stood. If someone says otherwise, they're likely lying.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Very interesting thread! It looks like everything is backed up, and it will remain so for a while.
So, I will be going to OCS sometime in the summer of 2011, which means that I wont't be classing up until early 2012. You guys think it might look better at that time? I was just thinking, if the JSF is going to be in service by 2015 that may free things up a little bit. Actually, does the introduction of a new platform even matter for people in the pipeline?
Just curious I guess.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I like to look at my grades because I have a platform in mind after Primary, so I like to know where I stack up. Keeping your head down and just plugging along is great, but when it's a competition you want to look over your shoulder now and then and see where the pack is at...if it's in front, you need to catch up. When you don't know where the pack is, that's the problem I'm wondering about.

You can ask how you're doing...but their concern is if you're on track to complete Primary. When they say "you're trackin", that may mean that you're meeting expectations..but doesn't necessarily mean you're exceeding to be able to choose what you want, and adjusting your study habits accordingly. I don't want to just get through Primary.. barring needs of the Navy, and what's available that week, I'm aiming to have some choice in the matter of where my future will be.

Also..a little reminder to the guys on their way to Primary, it is a competition, but don't be a douchebag. Help each other out and keep the flow of knowledges going. I get information,tips, etc from the guys ahead of me, and I make sure I help those behind me. Not only does it help others, it keeps you sharp as well.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Also..a little reminder to the guys on their way to Primary, it is a competition, but don't be a douchebag. Help each other out and keep the flow of knowledges going. I get information,tips, etc from the guys ahead of me, and I make sure I help those behind me. Not only does it help others, it keeps you sharp as well.

Solid advice! +1 When instructors see a really solid class the class as a whole seems to be treated better than the ones that throw each other under the bus.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Solid advice! +1 When instructors see a really solid class the class as a whole seems to be treated better than the ones that throw each other under the bus.

API or Primary? I thought you were on your own for primary? But that's an assumption. No one can tell me anything about primary besides "study"...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least from what I saw in NFO primary, we did a lot less group study that API, but you still are constantly helping people out. In your class, some people are going to be better with cockpit procedures, others at contact maneuvers, others at instruments, etc. Also, if you get good gouge, spread it. At the end of the day, primary is much more of an individual effort, but if you forsake your buddies, that's just not cool.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
API or Primary? I thought you were on your own for primary? But that's an assumption. No one can tell me anything about primary besides "study"...

You won't have a group of 30 people or whatever moving through at the exact same pace, so large-scale group studying isn't as practical, but I wouldn't say you're "on your own" for primary or advanced.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot

You are part of a class. You will all be together on the exact same schedule for ground school. Once you get into flights, individual paces will vary on a number of factors: scheds, weather, event failures, but move at approximately the same pace as each other. The majority of your class will finish within a few weeks of each other with the exceptions of the guy blessed by the weather and sched gods, and the other who is completely shit on by them.

81montedriver

pilot

If you go to Vance you will be part of a class that finishes on the exact same date and stuck together in a room for 12 hours. In that case you will get labeled as a shitbag very quickly for not helping your peers.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Either you're trying your hardest - in which case it doesn't matter how well everyone else is doing, because you're already maxed out - or you aren't, in which case you don't care and aren't asking this question.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor

Specifically Primary, Advanced, and the Rag. API really doesn't matter as long as you get the magic # to get the F out of that place.

What I was getting at was share the gouge. If you know instructor A likes to see a manuever one way while instructor B has slightly different preferances share that and don't keep a secret trying to get one over on your classmates.

In my class if there is something that earned or almost earned someone a down we would send out a lessons learned email so others in the class would not make the same mistake.

Either you're trying your hardest - in which case it doesn't matter how well everyone else is doing, because you're already maxed out - or you aren't, in which case you don't care and aren't asking this question.

I agree with the nice idea of max out all of the time, but in reality with a flight school and rag syllabus approaching 3 years long people burn out. I personally push harder when I know I am falling the f#$% behind. If I am where I need to be I relax, destress, and enjoy life. Unfortunately grades/NSS and Quality grade sheet feed back is the main indicator of that. Be leary of those that say grades don't matter because those are usually the one that say good flight, hit the mif button, and only leave the word complete in the comments section.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Ah yeah, I forgot that your fleet tour will be all sunshine and smiles...

Seriously? No its not all sunshine and smiles, and I have had my fair share of heinous YOU SUCK debriefs. I respect you for having been to the fleet and back, but I disagree with your outlook about grades not being important.

In Meridian the avg is always posted so you know if you will make the cut for each stage which makes it 100% necessary to know where you stand. Otherwise you might be headed to a pink sheet/PRB. Not sure how they do it now that they moved to the MIF system.